First Training Camp

Discussion of technique and strategy.

First Training Camp

by BBfan12 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:25 pm

im 5'5-5'6 and 121 pounds and I run really fast. I play wide reciever for the st.vital mustangs. And this is my first year of midget. This is going to be my first training camp and I was wondering what should I expect in it?
and what is the best way to impress coaches?
Veteran

RE: First Training Camp

by Billy_Soup » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:44 pm

effort. You will impress your coaches if you are giving a lot of effort. It is really the most important thing for a young football player I think. You will learn the skills, you will get bigger stronger faster, but you will do so only through effort. So just go out there and work your hardest. You do that and you will get noticed.
Go Riders Go
Go Huskies Go
I Bleed Green
All-Star

by RiderzFan2006 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:08 am

I too am playing football at a highschool level. and im about the same size as you and im a wide reciever. Ive impressed my coaches by going for every ball. And making big blocks.
Go Riders Go!
Starter

by BBfan12 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:53 pm

I can catch the ball most of the time, but I am still not used to the helmet cause when the ball is in the air the facemask it usually bothers me how do i get over this?
Veteran

by Billy_Soup » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:28 am

practice. play catch with a helmet.
Go Riders Go
Go Huskies Go
I Bleed Green
All-Star

by BBfan12 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:40 pm

thanks everyone for the help I shall keep everyone posted on how everything is goin
Veteran

by Mjeffcoat » Wed May 02, 2007 4:14 pm

Wear your helmet everywhere you can. At home, at play. The only way to get used to seeing with it on is to wear it. Also, wear it when you workout mostly just running. You will get used to the motion of the helmet that way.
Rookie

by BBfan12 » Wed May 02, 2007 5:18 pm

Thanks for the tips there really appreciated!
Veteran

by dss-qb » Sun May 06, 2007 9:18 am

after 8 seasons of football..i'd have to agree that effort is huge. followed close by leadership and perserverance. by perserverance i mean that if you drop a ball or make a mistake, it doesn't take you long to forget that it happened and get on with it.
Rookie

by RiderzFan2006 » Tue May 08, 2007 9:02 pm

I have another Tip! Carry the ball around with you as much as possible especially if your a reciever. Sleep with the ball if you have to. Gives you a feel for the ball.
Go Riders Go!
Starter

by BBfan12 » Thu May 10, 2007 9:32 pm

Thanks!, I got my equipment tonight and I cannot bring my helmet home to get the feel of the helmet.And on monday we have spring camp. And im going to get hit by 17 year olds and I was wondering how do I prepare to take a hit from someone that size?
Veteran

by RiderzFan2006 » Sun May 13, 2007 6:17 pm

well ive never been hit by 17 year olds... but I was absolutly Layed out by a 15 year old :) I had like a 5 yard in to run. so i did the ball was thrown a little bit behind me. I bobbled it then caught it. then just when i was beginning to turn my head to look up field. WHAM our best linebacker crushes me :)

Getting hit dosent really hurt too much. unless your blindesided like I was. but even then i just needed a second to pry my self off of the ground and I joked about it with my friends.

Dont worry about it. Youll be fine. the only way to really prepare for it is to experience it. after you get tackled once youll find out how it feels.

Getting hit Isnt what hurts when you get tackled. its when you hit the ground.
Go Riders Go!
Starter

by BBfan12 » Wed May 23, 2007 4:53 pm

thanks!, my problem now is that we are having our exams and I have missed 1 week and counting for studying. And I told my coaches I have been missing practice cause of exams.

Im scared if they think I don't care about football and they might cut me. Should i be worried about this?
Veteran

by RiderzFan2006 » Thu May 24, 2007 11:33 pm

Your coaches should know that an education is more important than football.
Go Riders Go!
Starter

Re: RE: First Training Camp

by eyebleedgreen » Fri May 25, 2007 10:49 am

BBfan12 wrote:Thanks!, I got my equipment tonight and I cannot bring my helmet home to get the feel of the helmet.And on monday we have spring camp. And im going to get hit by 17 year olds and I was wondering how do I prepare to take a hit from someone that size?

Firstly, the game is played in your head. Your thinking your going to take the hit... not give it.. Trying thinking of yourself as the hammer and not the nail.
I was a receiver, I still sleep with my fav football! It doesnt whine and complain like a woman. But honestly, ask your coach if can wear your helmet on campus. This will make the helmet feel natural. Or you could ask coach if you can change the facemask / do they have any others you could change it to?. I changed my a couple of differt seasons seemd to make a pretty big difference.

BBfan12 wrote:thanks!, my problem now is that we are having our exams and I have missed 1 week and counting for studying. And I told my coaches I have been missing practice cause of exams.

Im scared if they think I don't care about football and they might cut me. Should i be worried about this?

This is an ez fix! Bring your homework to the field, and just sit on the bench and watch. It will get your homework done, and it shows the coaches you want to be there. Your still there, so if theres any philosophy you can still be wearing cleets and run routes or walk threw plays.

But I doo suggest that you pack up your books and RUN WITH THE TEAM during 4th quarter drills. You maybe in Civillian clothing but this deffinately proves that hey you may not be doing many drills, but your still putting in effort.
Veteran

Next