Site functionality & bug report list (report issues here)

Discussion of technique and strategy.

Re: Site functionality & bug report list (report issues here

by Linden53 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:59 pm

Hi Sully, technical difficulties are/were happening today and I hope that it's only temporary. Thanks Sully
Veteran

by sully » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:08 pm

For some reason, a lot of usually well-meaning bots have been busy getting copies of lots of pages on this site, leading to the database being overloaded. I banned a bunch of the bots and set a more restrictive scheme on the rest. If that doesn't help, I'll next look into moving the site to a host that can handle the jump in traffic. Sorry for the downtime!
I'm the Director of Media Technology for the Canadian Football League. Got technology concerns/ideas for the league? E-mail me at ssyed@cfl.ca and we'll talk.
Site Staff

by KevinRiley2 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:26 pm

sully wrote:For some reason, a lot of usually well-meaning bots have been busy getting copies of lots of pages on this site, leading to the database being overloaded. I banned a bunch of the bots and set a more restrictive scheme on the rest. If that doesn't help, I'll next look into moving the site to a host that can handle the jump in traffic. Sorry for the downtime!

Nice to hear there is a jump in traffic. :thup:
All-Star

by Evil Doctor » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:19 am

KevinRiley2 wrote:
sully wrote:For some reason, a lot of usually well-meaning bots have been busy getting copies of lots of pages on this site, leading to the database being overloaded. I banned a bunch of the bots and set a more restrictive scheme on the rest. If that doesn't help, I'll next look into moving the site to a host that can handle the jump in traffic. Sorry for the downtime!

Nice to hear there is a jump in traffic. :thup:

It's not the good kind of traffic. Honestly, this feels like a denial of service attack. I'm pointing my fingers at the Red Patch Babies...
Starter

by Evil Doctor » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:45 am

...or the Russians....
Starter

by ed ohmnes » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:31 am

this site is ridiculously crappy. they should just restore the old rider site and leave this one for the rest of the league if they like it . not everyone using it is a computer geek, some of us are 60 years old ,,, we can barely open emails and look at the news.
Starter

by Linden53 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:12 pm

ed ohmnes wrote:this site is ridiculously crappy. they should just restore the old rider site and leave this one for the rest of the league if they like it . not everyone using it is a computer geek, some of us are 60 years old ,,, we can barely open emails and look at the news.

I'm 60 and have no issue, making excuses/complaining does nothing.
Veteran

by JimmytheGreek » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:52 pm

Site has been really hit and miss the last while. Sometimes you can't read posts or reply as you get site is down message. Either that or it takes forever to load. No its not my pc or internet either all other sites are very quick loading and responsive.
All-Star

by sully » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:30 am

Paolo X wrote:Sully, great work on the Box Scores and on the Play-By-Play summaries and consistency on locating the recap and highlight videos.

The URL issue to link to each player's page lingers. Any fix coming? That link sure makes it easy to check up on any player's performance at any given point of the season from any game summary page you know.

Otherwise, it looks like now you might want to check the data feed for Field Goals, for only that data are not loading as is the case for the last game Montreal at Edmonton Thursday 11 August.

Yep, player names should now be hyperlinked; other niggling stuff was holding us up from putting that relatively tiny fix in place. The data on that page should now refresh faster as well.

JimmytheGreek wrote:Site has been really hit and miss the last while. Sometimes you can't read posts or reply as you get site is down message. Either that or it takes forever to load. No its not my pc or internet either all other sites are very quick loading and responsive.

Yeah, I'm thinking seriously about moving the site to be hosted directly on Amazon's web infrastructure so I can tweak it myself. I think the site is fine where it is now during quiet times, but when a burst of traffic occurs these servers simply can't handle it. I'm going to look into it this week.
I'm the Director of Media Technology for the Canadian Football League. Got technology concerns/ideas for the league? E-mail me at ssyed@cfl.ca and we'll talk.
Site Staff

by safetyblitz » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:48 pm

sully wrote:Yeah, I'm thinking seriously about moving the site to be hosted directly on Amazon's web infrastructure

I'm surprised this isn't the case already.
All-Star

by DisplacedCatsFan » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:57 am

***THIS IS IMPORTANT***

I have received a pair of PMs written in Cyrillic. Looks like you need to increase your security protocols...
Formerly sigpig

Velox Versutus Vigilans

R.I.P. Cpl Nathan Cirillo Albainn Gu Brath
All-Star

by bobo82 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:45 am

DisplacedCatsFan wrote:***THIS IS IMPORTANT***

I have received a pair of PMs written in Cyrillic. Looks like you need to increase your security protocols...

I also have received a pair of PMs written in Cyrillic , one from a SherriOn and the other from a Sherripar. I haven't opened up either one. You need to check this out because I'm pretty sure that Displaced and myself probably aren't the only ones who got these PMs.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=58751

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=58756
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

All-Star

by bedrock » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:09 am

A LIKE, THUMBS UP, or THANKYOU, would be a nice feature added to the forum threads for users that approve other peoples comments or remarks. Its been asked for before but never applied. This would be a very handy feature.
Rookie

by PrideLivesHere » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:38 pm

I can not access the Forum link from the main CFL web page using a ipad. It just is not 'click-able'. It has been this way for at least 3 - 4 weeks. Sorry, if this was reported by someone else and I missed it.

Thx.
1966, 1989, 2007 & 2013 Grey Cup Champions

Ignoring the Haters since May 11, 2006
Starter

by batkinson001 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:53 pm

as far as the forums go, ever since the redesign to the current format, I have not been able to get email notifications for topic replies... even though the setting is enabled in my preferences, it doesn't work

Please fix it asap.
Argos season ticket holder 2010-2014, 2016
Starter

PreviousNext