MLS 2017

Re: MLS 2017

by rcon » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:54 pm

BMO field looks a little over half full. I guess it's another TFC "sell-out". :roll:
All-Star
 
Posts: 1385
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:15 am

Re: MLS 2017

by KevinRiley2 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:14 pm

rcon wrote:BMO field looks a little over half full. I guess it's another TFC "sell-out". :roll:

That's the beauty of BMO being in red, along with the fans. You can't tell an empty seat from a full one. It does look like a bunch of empty seats, tho.

Still, TBH, the Argos would kill for those kind of fans. Sad but true. :(
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8682
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: MLS 2017

by TravelPat1 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:25 pm

What a finish! What a game! And a great crowd - especially considering those tickets were ALL sold in the last 2-3 weeks as this game was not a part of a season ticket package. . 26,000+ the announced crowd a Canadian Soccer Championship record.

The Atomic Ant coming through with the tying goal and the winner in literally the last seconds of the game sending BMO into a frenzy.

The video.
The tying goal.
- https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/06/2 ... oplay=true

The thrilling winner (that had me jumping out of my chair).
- https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/06/2 ... oplay=true

.
All-Star
 
Posts: 2946
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:07 pm

Re: MLS 2017

by KevinRiley2 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:28 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:What a finish! What a game! And a great crowd - especially considering those tickets were ALL sold in the last 2-3 weeks as this game was not a part of a season ticket package. . 26,000+ the announced crowd a Canadian Soccer Championship record.

The Atomic Ant coming through with the tying goal and the winner in literally the last seconds of the game sending BMO into a frenzy.

The video.
The tying goal.
- https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/06/2 ... oplay=true

The thrilling winner (that had me jumping out of my chair).
- https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/06/2 ... oplay=true

.

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8682
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: MLS 2017

by TravelPat1 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:22 pm

That was a really good crowd for TFC considering not only the fact that the game was not part of the season ticket package with tickets only sold the last few weeks, but also that it is on a weeknight with 40,000 just down the road at the Jays game and with TFC having just had a home game just 4 nights ago.

You just know we would be hearing those points repeatedly as excuses from Argos fans if they had played tonight and only drawn 15,000.

Sorry Argos but Toronto FC for now have firmly established themselves in terms of live gate as ranking ahead of the Argos in that stadium and marketplace. Can the Argos change that?

I'm not so sure they can.
All-Star
 
Posts: 2946
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:07 pm

Re: MLS 2017

by KevinRiley2 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:42 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:That was a really good crowd for TFC considering not only the fact that the game was not part of the season ticket package with tickets only sold the last few weeks, but also that it is on a weeknight with 40,000 just down the road at the Jays game and with TFC having just had a home game just 4 nights ago.

You just know we would be hearing those points repeatedly as excuses from Argos fans if they had played tonight and only drawn 15,000.

Sorry Argos but Toronto FC for now have firmly established themselves in terms of live gate as ranking ahead of the Argos in that stadium and marketplace. Can the Argos change that?

I'm not so sure they can.

Let's talk in 5 years once the bloom has come off this rose. My guess, the crowds will drop off in a big way.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8682
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: MLS 2017

by rcon » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:48 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:That was a really good crowd for TFC considering not only the fact that the game was not part of the season ticket package with tickets only sold the last few weeks, but also that it is on a weeknight with 40,000 just down the road at the Jays game and with TFC having just had a home game just 4 nights ago.

You just know we would be hearing those points repeatedly as excuses from Argos fans if they had played tonight and only drawn 15,000.

Sorry Argos but Toronto FC for now have firmly established themselves in terms of live gate as ranking ahead of the Argos in that stadium and marketplace. Can the Argos change that?

I'm not so sure they can.


26,000...... BullS*&#!!!!! if that's the case then there 23,000 at the Argo game.
All-Star
 
Posts: 1385
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:15 am

Re: MLS 2017

by TravelPat1 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:55 pm

There weren't 26,000 actually, there - I agree rcon. It was probably more in the 22,000 - 23,000 range when you take into account the several hundred standing at both ends which would offset some of the empty seats that were visible. It looked to be about 8,000 - 10,000 more than what were at the Argos game Sunday.

Toronto FC are starting to get much more mainstream media coverage though too. Often on nights of their games the sports coverage is leading off with their games on news programs like CTV Toronto News. It certainly did last night with an extended highlights package and some player inverview clips before they went to a brief Jays game report. That rarely happened before. And that was after the news itself led with this Toronto FC related story for almost the first 3 full minutes of the news.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1156187
All-Star
 
Posts: 2946
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:07 pm

Re: MLS 2017

by KevinRiley2 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:55 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:There weren't 26,000 actually, there - I agree rcon. It was probably more in the 22,000 - 23,000 range when you take into account the several hundred standing at both ends which would offset some of the empty seats that were visible. It looked to be about 8,000 - 10,000 more than what were at the Argos game Sunday.

Toronto FC are starting to get much more mainstream media coverage though too. Often on nights of their games the sports coverage is leading off with their games on news programs like CTV Toronto News. It certainly did last night with an extended highlights package and some player inverview clips before they went to a brief Jays game report. That rarely happened before. And that was after the news itself led with this Toronto FC related story for almost the first 3 full minutes of the news.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1156187


Patrick is NOT the guy on the left...

Image
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8682
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: MLS 2017

by TravelPat1 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:03 am

Without meaning to be cruel to the Argos - oh I take that back - I'm a Ti-Cats fan so being cruel to the Argos comes naturally to me. I've amended the photo for you Kevin.
Image

Look - as a CFL fan I hope this changes for the Argos - and I thought it would last year but the team absolutely blew it by laying a giant egg - so any advantage of the new marketing, new ownership and new stadium were totally wasted. And they compounded that by alienating several long time fans that had stuck with them with the Grey Cup pricing debacle. As I posted before my friend a 20 year + Argos season ticket holder has turned his back on the team over the Grey Cup.

And because of those things - rebuilding the Argos fan base is now going to be a much harder task.
All-Star
 
Posts: 2946
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:07 pm

Re: MLS 2017

by KevinRiley2 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:18 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:Without meaning to be cruel to the Argos - oh I take that back - I'm a Ti-Cats fan so being cruel to the Argos comes naturally to me. I've amended the photo for you Kevin..
Image

Image
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8682
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: MLS 2017

by Mightygoose » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:30 pm

Hey Pat's re-image is somewhat accurate...only that I don't carry a briefcase :lol: ....but got the TFC fans under the bandwagon sign spot on!

Ah, let's not rain on their parade. Their fans suffered for nearly a decade of futility so it's good to see them winning and now as Canadian Heavyweight Champions. With more expansion coming and all within the US, it will be a challenge to keep on top once the newbies get their legs so let them enjoy the golden era.

Trying not to let a few bad apples there cause distain and would like this Argo/TFC rift to end...I even have a wild theory on how a successful TFC franchise can actually help the Argos :D
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:04 am

Re: MLS 2017

by KevinRiley2 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:39 pm

Mightygoose wrote:I even have a wild theory on how a successful TFC franchise can actually help the Argos :D

You are always so positive. God bless you for it! :thup:
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8682
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: MLS 2017

by The Last Word » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:15 pm

Best team in the league without question. I think for MLS to emerge as a legitimate semi-top league in the world TFC or some other MLS team will have to win the CONCACAAF tournament. Until then, it will always be viewed as being below the Mexican League.
Starter
 
Posts: 423
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Re: BC Lions to be SOLD within Months!

by brianjoxx » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:31 pm

Mirage wrote:BC Lions ownership has been clearly the problem but I do have to give them credit. Having seen the local TV #'s from the BC area and how strong their partnerships are within the major Vancouver area. the Lions are a solid organization that just needs a new owner.

Last night vs Winnipeg the stadium was extremely loud and had 21,000 paid fans with clearly 2,000-3,000 fans extra that weren't included.

Problem the Lions need to fix is just like the Canucks as they are the only 2 major pro teams in the city/province. They equally share the same problem as transportation and ferry schedule and hotels being a major deterrent.

Part in why Canucks attendance has dropped.

Though last night the BC Place stadium was rocking. And was told by many fans in attendance the block parties and the atmosphere was fantastic.


Nice But their is 3 teams. Soccer in BC has become big time and most of Canada. Youth Football teams deceasing at alarming rate. Cost for equipment and you know the rest!!!!!!!
However IF IF IF you win fans are everywhere. Lose for 4 years in any sports, attendance
will go down. Really!! People want winners.
Starter
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:39 am
Location: vernon,bc

PreviousNext

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests