Blue Jays and MLB 2017

Re: Blue Jays and MLB 2017

by sambo42 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:56 pm

The Jays have a few key injuries, Sanchez lasted only an inning today... and with Donaldson and Tulowitzki out, the Jays don't have much pop beyond that.... they should have let Bautista go and kept Edwin... dumb move by the new management...
Hall of Famer

by KevinRiley2 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:58 pm

sambo42 wrote:Sanchez lasted only an inning today...

That's a shame.
All-Star

by rcon » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:59 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:

That's a shame.

Oh darn.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:04 pm

rcon wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:

That's a shame.

Oh darn.

Split his fingernail. :rockin:
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:21 pm

STOP THE PRESSES! The Jays have won two in a row and won a series! LOL

42,986 the announced attendance today bringing them to a 12 game April total of 455,877 - an average of 37,989. That's actually up over 2,500 per game compared to last season though 12 home games.

A true lesson of how important it is to sell lots of tickets before the season starts. :P
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:27 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:STOP THE PRESSES! The Jays have won two in a row and won a series! LOL

42,986 the announced attendance today bringing them to a 12 game April total of 455,877 - an average of 37,989. That's actually up over 2,500 per game compared to last season though 12 home games.

A true lesson of how important it is to sell lots of tickets before the season starts. :P

Patrick's back on the band-wagon. :thdn:
All-Star

by rcon » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:28 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:STOP THE PRESSES! The Jays have won two in a row and won a series! LOL

Start the PARADE!!!! And how many were there for the free T-shirts? Secondary market has Blue Jay tickets for as low as $1. The Lemmings will be jumping off the cliff by June, just in time to buy Argo tickets. How about it , Pat? :wink:
All-Star

by Lyle B. Style » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:22 pm

rcon wrote:

Start the PARADE!!!! And how many were there for the free T-shirts? Secondary market has Blue Jay tickets for as low as $1. The Lemmings will be jumping off the cliff by June, just in time to buy Argo tickets. How about it , Pat? :wink:

If I lived in Toronto I'd split up my live sports budget as follows:

- 2 Leafs games per year (if I can find lower level tickets)
- 1 NBA game/yr. (just for the NBA experience)
- 3 or 4 MLB games (tix are not that crazy high, food is above average, stadium is downtown accessible, only for Yankees, Red Sox though)
- 1 MLS soccer game at BMO
- 4 or 5 CFL games at BMO (tix under $55, prolly less on secondary markets, unique stadium experience)
All-Star

by Aerial » Mon May 01, 2017 9:24 am

Gibbons catches the Canadian media off guard, too funny, good on ya Gibby! :lol:

Following Toronto’s 3-1 win over the Rays, a reporter asked Gibbons if he had any pregame concerns over Aaron Sanchez’s readiness to pitch on Sunday, considering the right-hander lasted just one inning. When the question was framed as a result of second-guessing from the social media crowd, the Texan decided to invoke the name of Twitter’s most famous/infamous denizen.

“That’s the world we live in,” he said. “Just ask Donald Trump.”

Gibbons’ unexpected Trump reference quieted the group of Canadian reporters, the majority of whom’s political affiliation can be relatively easily deduced.

“Everybody questions everything you do,” Gibbons continued with a wry smile. “Good or bad.”

As the press conference concluded, the sly manager wondered why the room had gone so silent.

“You guys don’t like Donald Trump?

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/john-g ... 47695.html
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde
All-Star

by Lyle B. Style » Mon May 01, 2017 2:21 pm

sambo42 wrote:The Jays have a few key injuries, Sanchez lasted only an inning today... and with Donaldson and Tulowitzki out, the Jays don't have much pop beyond that.... they should have let Bautista go and kept Edwin... dumb move by the new management...

I like Edwing, too! And Bautista is a totally despicable athlete immo - BUT Edwin E. is only marginally better than Jose. He'll run up an average of .245 to .255 (not great), hit 35 to 42 dingers (pretty darn good), drive in 90 to 105 and doesn't whiff as often as Whifftista.

But Edwin can't play outfield (Bautista is still an average RF), he won't walk as often as Whiff, etc.

Edwin will play more games as Jose usually gets plagued by 15 to 35 games worth of injuries.

Trouble is Edwin wanted term and money (around 20 million+ and 5 years) and Rogers didn't figure he was worth it. But Whifftista, whether it be for 1 year or 4 years - is total rubbish.

When things fall to him as primary slugger he's a failure. Needs to be surrounded with guys like Donaldson & Tulowitzki.
All-Star

by Aerial » Mon May 01, 2017 4:56 pm

So Lyle, you think Gibby is looking to want to get canned, let go whatever you want to call it, from the Blue Jays, with the Trump references? My guess is Rogers doesn't like this sort of political shpeak from their manager. Image and optics sort of thing. :wink:
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde
All-Star

by Lyle B. Style » Mon May 01, 2017 5:51 pm

Aerial wrote:So Lyle, you think Gibby is looking to want to get canned, let go whatever you want to call it, from the Blue Jays, with the Trump references? My guess is Rogers doesn't like this sort of political shpeak from their manager. Image and optics sort of thing. :wink:

When Gibby is depressed (most of the time) he sounds like he's got two sentences running out of his yap - both going on at the same time.
I'm not certain but I suspect Gibby was being politically correct until he got his re-up extension for another 2 or 3 years. Has he received that extension?

If so, he knows he's on borrowed time anyways. Vampyro and the office have cleaned out the cupboards of quality minor-league development players.

Wouldn't be the first manager who's looking for an exit - so long as he can put a big bag of Rogers cash in his go-bag!

If he's fired in Toronto I don't think he'd get another MLB manager job. But he'd be fairly set for life - could go into double-speak broadcasting (his specialty) or roll with a AAA franchise for a few years as he glides into retirement. (so long as his massive demands for double-bubble, salted sunflower seeds and sugared mountain dew are met)
All-Star

by Aerial » Mon May 01, 2017 6:43 pm

Set for life? Oh yeah.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:01 pm

Jays back on a losing street. :thup:
All-Star

by Lyle B. Style » Tue May 02, 2017 10:20 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:Jays back on a losing street. :thup:

Latos pitched tonite. Basically a washed up hobo - the only type of guys Vampyro and his mgmt. team can sign these days. Happ and Sanchez have to come back soon - then they can cut Latos!

All the Jays injuries - that seemed so minor at the point of injury are always compounded over time.

Happ is a vet who might be on last legs anyways.
The Sanchez injury is very mysterious. His nails keep breaking?
Donaldson is NOT the iron man everyone thought he was - prolly another 2 to 4 weeks before his leg heals - and then 2 weeks buffer zone to make sure.
Tulowitzki is on last legs, too. Still an above average SS but his hitting has really been a disappointment, particularly in clutch situations!

Too bad they emptied the farm last few years. Nobody capable in various pitching spots - ie. starter, mid-reliever, 8th inning stopper, closer.
No decent sluggers either. Just light-hitting hobos or strikeout artists!

Could be 4 to 10 years of nothing but DRY . . . .
All-Star

PreviousNext