Reason why soccer got on CTV and not CFL - TSN had no choice

Re: Reason why soccer got on CTV and not CFL - TSN had no ch

by slimjim2 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:42 am

Tridus wrote:
It's not a coincidence that the most viewed NHL games are the ones on CBC, which isn't a sports network.

No, they need to get at the growing part of the audience that drops TSN every year. The league is dropping the ball by being content to being banished to a declining specialty channel while other leagues are not.


But the Jays are on Sportsnet and they get a huge audience that's a declining specialty channel too, the wild card game and the divisional playoff games were around 5 million viewers. Sportsnet has less subcribers than TSN.
How many more viewers would they have drawn if they were on CBC or CTV?
RDS with only 2.5 milliion subscribers or roughly 6 million viewers had over 1 Million for the Super Bowl. Yet the RDS ratings for the Grey Cup were around 180k

It's not about putting the CFL on a non sports network hoping that you can draw the non-sports fan.
It's about attracting the viewers that already subscribe to TSN.
There are roughly 26 million or so viewers on TSN/RDS that are not watching the CFL, they have to figure out how to get them to watch the CFL.
If you want to get the declining part of the audience that drops TSN then put the games on the internet. That's where the future is, every year people are unplugging and going with the internet only.
All-Star
 
Posts: 1768
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Re: Reason why soccer got on CTV and not CFL - TSN had no ch

by thespeculator » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:28 am

Well Bell does own half of TFC as well. Also, I think the MLS in general is a growing league thus they might have wanted to showcase the league, especially after the moment from a couple of months ago. :cowboy:
Practice Squad
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:31 pm

Re: Reason why soccer got on CTV and not CFL - TSN had no ch

by bobo82 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:18 pm

Can one of the Mods please move this thread to the appropriate board ? either Off Topic or Other Sports / Other Leagues or in the trash bin. Personally I don't give a flyin' fig where ya move it to , as long as it and all the other Soccer $hit polluting this board vanishes off of this main page . All this Soccer crap talk has no place cluttering up the main board . I sometimes wonder if I'm on a CFL forum or on a Effing MLS / Soccer forum when I come in here . :thdn:
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS
12,13,15,28,29,32,43,53,57,63,65,67,72,86,99

Image
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1713
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: Reason why soccer got on CTV and not CFL - TSN had no ch

by brihind88 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:35 pm

bobo82 wrote:Can one of the Mods please move this thread to the appropriate board ? either Off Topic or Other Sports / Other Leagues or in the trash bin. Personally I don't give a flyin' fig where ya move it to , as long as it and all the other Soccer $hit polluting this board vanishes off of this main page . All this Soccer crap talk has no place cluttering up the main board . I sometimes wonder if I'm on a CFL forum or on a Effing MLS / Soccer forum when I come in here . :thdn:


AGREE 100 %.

Also, it came from Access Media which is all and nothing more BS blather anyway.
All-Star
 
Posts: 2239
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Reason why soccer got on CTV and not CFL - TSN had no ch

by TravelPat1 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:43 pm

Off topic or not - still ticks me off a bit (and I'm a fan of both the Cats and TFC) that somehow an MLS game between teams from Toronto and Vancouver warrants coverage on both TSN1 and CTV - as today's soccer game did - while any CFL game between any teams including Toronto and Vancouver - never make it to CTV.
All-Star
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:07 pm

Re: Reason why soccer got on CTV and not CFL - TSN had no ch

by BigJoeM » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:40 am

TravelPat1 wrote:Off topic or not - still ticks me off a bit (and I'm a fan of both the Cats and TFC) that somehow an MLS game between teams from Toronto and Vancouver warrants coverage on both TSN1 and CTV - as today's soccer game did - while any CFL game between any teams including Toronto and Vancouver - never make it to CTV.


Yes
Especially the Grey Cup game and Division finals ! The show case events for the league .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Reason why soccer got on CTV and not CFL - TSN had no ch

by Xvys » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:17 am

BigJoeM wrote:
TravelPat1 wrote:Off topic or not - still ticks me off a bit (and I'm a fan of both the Cats and TFC) that somehow an MLS game between teams from Toronto and Vancouver warrants coverage on both TSN1 and CTV - as today's soccer game did - while any CFL game between any teams including Toronto and Vancouver - never make it to CTV.


Yes
Especially the Grey Cup game and Division finals ! The show case events for the league .

I think Bell's strategy is to build their MLS (and Super Bowl) audience by "pulling out all the stops" and putting those games on both networks. Conversely the CFL doesn't need any promotion because anyone wanting to watch Canadian football already knows when the games are on and on which channel. :wink:
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 2880
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:42 pm

Re: Reason why soccer got on CTV and not CFL - TSN had no ch

by slimjim2 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:30 am

Xvys wrote:
BigJoeM wrote:
TravelPat1 wrote:Off topic or not - still ticks me off a bit (and I'm a fan of both the Cats and TFC) that somehow an MLS game between teams from Toronto and Vancouver warrants coverage on both TSN1 and CTV - as today's soccer game did - while any CFL game between any teams including Toronto and Vancouver - never make it to CTV.


Yes
Especially the Grey Cup game and Division finals ! The show case events for the league .

I think Bell's strategy is to build their MLS (and Super Bowl) audience by "pulling out all the stops" and putting those games on both networks. Conversely the CFL doesn't need any promotion because anyone wanting to watch Canadian football already knows when the games are on and on which channel. :wink:


Yes and the fact that the combined TSN/RDS potential viewers are approx 30 million, so why would they need to put a CFL game on CTV. Obviously there are 29.5 million viewers that have access to TSN/RDS that are NOT watching it.... :oops: 4 million watched the Grey Cup on TSN/RDS but 26 million that have access to TSN/RDS did not.
Why would any of the 26 million that have TSN/RDS watch it on CTV?
All-Star
 
Posts: 1768
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Re: Reason why soccer got on CTV and not CFL - TSN had no ch

by TravelPat1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:19 am

slimjim2 wrote:Why would any of the 26 million that have TSN/RDS watch it on CTV?


Because tons of people routinely turn on their TV's when they get home or after doing other things and often either just keep watching the channel their tv is on when they turn it on if the program is something they somewhat like - or they flip on the guide and turn to the first thing they see they might like - and since the ratings for channels like CTV/CBS etc are routinely much higher than specialty channels - it is much more likely they are turning their TV on to one of those channels.

So on top of gaining some of the 20% of homes in Canada that do not have TSN and RDS - many who do have those channels would be much more likely to catch at least part of the game because they never get as far as the Sports channel listings on their guide when they turn on their TV's during the Grey Cup.

I can't tell you how often I flip on my TV on autumn Saturday afternoons and a college game is on the NBC, CBS or ABC station that I immediately come across and start to watch without ever going to check the TV listings. If the game is a bit of a dud or becomes a bit of a rout then and only then might I finally get around to surfing up to the sports channels and discover either a better NCAA game or even sometimes a CFL game I forgot was on.

Bell Media even understands that which is why without the Super Bowl being simsubbed they realized they would maximize their viewership by flooding the dial with the game on CTV, CTV2 and TSN - because that helped maximize the number of viewers they captured because they know how people find programs they are watching. And they know people do not routinely search all over their guide listings - they stop at the first channel they see that the program captures their eye. They knew (as it is their business to know) that if they only put the Super Bowl on TSN, or only CTV2 or only CTV - their ratings would take a hit even bigget than the hit they took with the end of simsub.

The Grey Cup absoultely would capture more viewers were it on both CTV and TSN.
All-Star
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:07 pm

Re: Reason why soccer got on CTV and not CFL - TSN had no ch

by BigJoeM » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:24 pm

:thup: :thup:
TravelPat1 wrote:
slimjim2 wrote:Why would any of the 26 million that have TSN/RDS watch it on CTV?


Because tons of people routinely turn on their TV's when they get home or after doing other things and often either just keep watching the channel their tv is on when they turn it on if the program is something they somewhat like - or they flip on the guide and turn to the first thing they see they might like - and since the ratings for channels like CTV/CBS etc are routinely much higher than specialty channels - it is much more likely they are turning their TV on to one of those channels.

So on top of gaining some of the 20% of homes in Canada that do not have TSN and RDS - many who do have those channels would be much more likely to catch at least part of the game because they never get as far as the Sports channel listings on their guide when they turn on their TV's during the Grey Cup.

I can't tell you how often I flip on my TV on autumn Saturday afternoons and a college game is on the NBC, CBS or ABC station that I immediately come across and start to watch without ever going to check the TV listings. If the game is a bit of a dud or becomes a bit of a rout then and only then might I finally get around to surfing up to the sports channels and discover either a better NCAA game or even sometimes a CFL game I forgot was on.

Bell Media even understands that which is why without the Super Bowl being simsubbed they realized they would maximize their viewership by flooding the dial with the game on CTV, CTV2 and TSN - because that helped maximize the number of viewers they captured because they know how people find programs they are watching. And they know people do not routinely search all over their guide listings - they stop at the first channel they see that the program captures their eye. They knew (as it is their business to know) that if they only put the Super Bowl on TSN, or only CTV2 or only CTV - their ratings would take a hit even bigget than the hit they took with the end of simsub.

The Grey Cup absoultely would capture more viewers were it on both CTV and TSN.

:thup: Great post .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Reason why soccer got on CTV and not CFL - TSN had no ch

by KevinRiley2 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:07 pm

The CTV numbers, for the MLS's first game, will come out this week. Hope they're weak.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 7481
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Previous

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests