Reason why soccer got on CTV and not CFL - TSN had no choice

Re: Reason why soccer got on CTV and not CFL - TSN had no ch

by drummer_god » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:53 pm

Agreed.
Hall of Famer

by TravelPat1 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:49 pm

OK - if CTV can show 7 MLS games - why not some CFL games?
All-Star

by Bayargonaut00 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:55 pm

Even if this is the real reason, who cares?
CTV can put whatever it wants on it's channels but the fact that the CFL hasn't fought for a simulcast to extend its reach and become a staple in potentially all Canadian households is ridiculous. Everyone know s they can turn to CTV on Sunday and watch a particular nfl match up. All you literally have to do is turn it on and you know there WILL be football.
If CTV were given a set day to broadcast one CFL game per week then that's instantly a consistent way to appeal to new viewers and cements the already enthusiastic fan base. Imagine tuning in on a Saturday (for arguments sake) and knowing that there WILL be football on CTV.
No finite point has meaning without an infinite reference point
Starter

by KevinRiley2 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:58 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:OK - if CTV can show 7 MLS games - why not some CFL games?

Agree. Putting the games on CTV can only help the League.

Unfortunately, the CFL will have little say between now and 2021.
All-Star

by BigJoeM » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:18 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
TravelPat1 wrote:OK - if CTV can show 7 MLS games - why not some CFL games?

Agree. Putting the games on CTV can only help the League.

Unfortunately, the CFL will have little say between now and 2021.

I don't know Kev wouldn't you make your partner happy if they were not getting the best exposure from the parent company before the renew date . Not surprised as I mentioned in another thread that the CFL would need a new partner if TSN wants to broadcast all three MLS teams . Only difference is it was MLS who moved over to the bigger network not the CFL to accommodate the program conflicts .

My belief is that Thursday games which have been a part of the CFL but not mandatory are a key to TSN's interest in the summer . They have MLS for Wednesdays .

Friday is also well suited in TSN hands .

It is the Saturdays / Sundays in the Fall that get lost in the programming especially the division finals and now the Grey Cup . This is where the battle for viewership needs to be waged . CTV flagship stations must pick up the slack
and populate the airwaves both on sister radio stations and TV to remind viewers of what games are being played .

I know radio stations are continually telling me who is playing hockey tonight on the Rogers network and they ring the bells for Blue jays all season long . It's time the CFL tells it's partner it fell in bed with that they want the same
propaganda from their Radio/TV cohorts .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by RBFan2014 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:06 am

I personally think a weekly CTV game would be good for the league. Think Saturday Night Football on CTV.

Another option would be to have a Sunday afternoon game (4pm?) From June until Labour Day weekend when their NFL coverage starts. At least people would be tuning in for their football fix.

Ultimately it is Bell's decision...Again if they thought it would make more money than the current setup, they would do it. It's all about the bottom line. Maybe if it was the "weekly Argos game", since Bell owns the team, that would end up making more sense for them...
Rookie

by bobbythefinch » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:39 am

In many ways, the CFL's being exclusively on TSN reminds me of the old blackout policies that were blamed for creating a so-called "lost generation" of young fans who started to gravitate towards the NFL.

It's fine for the die hard fans. They're going to go to the stadiums, subscribe to TSN, etc. But, the League is missing out exposing the game to the casual fan by not having an over-the-air broadcaster or a stand alone streaming alternative.
Starter

by slimjim2 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:40 am

RBFan2014 wrote:I personally think a weekly CTV game would be good for the league. Think Saturday Night Football on CTV.

Another option would be to have a Sunday afternoon game (4pm?) From June until Labour Day weekend when their NFL coverage starts. At least people would be tuning in for their football fix.

Ultimately it is Bell's decision...Again if they thought it would make more money than the current setup, they would do it. It's all about the bottom line. Maybe if it was the "weekly Argos game", since Bell owns the team, that would end up making more sense for them...

And I will repeat what I have been saying on here for the past couple of years, TSN/RDS has a HUGE audience and it's a sports network, people subscribe to watch sports.
TSN/RDS = 30 million Canadians
CTV = 30 million (English Canada)
CTV broadcast will not increase viewership.
There is a HUGE existing audience now, they only have to figure out how to get more of the TSN/RDS 30 million to watch CFL football !!! :twisted:
All-Star

by ArgoT » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:06 am

slimjim2 wrote:
RBFan2014 wrote:I personally think a weekly CTV game would be good for the league. Think Saturday Night Football on CTV.

And I will repeat what I have been saying on here for the past couple of years, TSN/RDS has a HUGE audience and it's a sports network, people subscribe to watch sports.
There is a HUGE existing audience now, they only have to figure out how to get more of the TSN/RDS 30 million to watch CFL football !!! :twisted:

I don't agree with you.
However it's the perception that you forget of the "main network vs cable."
All-Star

by BigJoeM » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:09 am

You may have something there if CTV carried just the Argo games whether home or away and proliferate it with a half hour show before and after like TSN only Argo focused it may bring in a few curious new fans and bring back a few who left the flock . Great idea !
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by Bayargonaut00 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:46 pm

BigJoeM wrote:

You may have something there if CTV carried just the Argo games whether home or away and proliferate it with a half hour show before and after like TSN only Argo focused it may bring in a few curious new fans and bring back a few who left the flock . Great idea !

Yes!!! Someone else agrees I mentioned this in another thread and was told I was looking at it the wrong way.

Rogers has so many OTA channels (national and local) and they use them to their fullest extent to get their programming across.

Bell has CTV And should employ it atleast in the Toronto market to broadcast Argonauts games.
It would be so ideal with the slate of Saturday home games this season.
Starter

by slimjim2 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:48 am

Bayargonaut00 wrote:

Yes!!! Someone else agrees I mentioned this in another thread and was told I was looking at it the wrong way.

Rogers has so many OTA channels (national and local) and they use them to their fullest extent to get their programming across.

Bell has CTV And should employ it atleast in the Toronto market to broadcast Argonauts games.

There seems to be this obsession with CTV about getting a bigger younger audience.
If the goal is to get the 20 something millenials to watch the CFL then broadcasting games OTA etc or on CTV is not the way to go.
Young people are on their hand held devices on the internet, they are streaming their sports and probably projecting onto their big HD TVs.
96% of Canadian households have the internet, if you make TSN/RDS available on the internet then CFL football is available to most Canadians. If TSN/RDS is available to all internet providers then they reach almost every Canadian.
Right now TSN/RDS is only available on the internet if you have cable/satellite subscription and you buy TSN/RDS.
The funny thing is that every CFL game is available in the US on ESPN3 and every internet provider carries ESPN3.
The internet is the future and will only get faster and better.
All-Star

by Bayargonaut00 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:56 pm

slimjim2 wrote:
Bayargonaut00 wrote:

There seems to be this obsession with CTV about getting a bigger younger audience.
If the goal is to get the 20 something millenials to watch the CFL then broadcasting games OTA etc or on CTV is not the way to go.
Young people are on their hand held devices on the internet, they are streaming their sports and probably projecting onto their big HD TVs.
96% of Canadian households have the internet, if you make TSN/RDS available on the internet then CFL football is available to most Canadians. If TSN/RDS is available to all internet providers then they reach almost every Canadian.
Right now TSN/RDS is only available on the internet if you have cable/satellite subscription and you buy TSN/RDS.
The funny thing is that every CFL game is available in the US on ESPN3 and every internet provider carries ESPN3.
The internet is the future and will only get faster and better.

I want to see some hard figures and links on this 96% reach by tsn. You seem to love posting that and have never provided a link as though it's just "common knowledge ". Thanks!

Agreed.
The Internet is the future, and this is the beef I have with tsn, that they have the WORST multi platform connectivity/accessibility.
I remember always being able to stream off of sportsnet and cbc when I used to care about hockey and never having an issue with availability, and it was free. That's probably since changed but it got millenials into the habit of enjoying hockey on their terms. The CFL is just too late to the party, and I hope Orridge can rectify this because otherwise we're just going further into oblivion.
I would be wonderfully happy if even CFL.ca had a live stream minus commentators, as is the case with nhl
Matches on sites.
Still, saying that ota reach doesn't help a property that needs to replenish it's fan base is illogical, and the nfl, nhl and mlb know that being exclusively on cable would affect overall exposure and opt not to do it.
Starter

by slimjim2 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:56 pm

Bayargonaut00 wrote:
I want to see some hard figures and links on this 96% reach by tsn. You seem to love posting that and have never provided a link as though it's just "common knowledge ". Thanks!

I NEVER said TSN reaches 96%
What I said was that the INTERNET is available in 96% of Canadian households.
But it's actually 32 million users and rising according to stats Canada or 88%,
But 90 percent of Canadian households have active television connections, with the majority of them being through digital cable.
TV usage with active television connections going down while internet usage rising
Streaming makes sense especially if they want to capture a younger generation

https://www.statista.com/statistics/243 ... in-canada/
https://www.statista.com/topics/2730/te ... in-canada/
All-Star

by Tridus » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:22 am

slimjim2 wrote:And I will repeat what I have been saying on here for the past couple of years, TSN/RDS has a HUGE audience and it's a sports network, people subscribe to watch sports.

[Citation Needed]

Pure fiction. MLS didn't put games on CTV to decrease viewership. The NFL doesn't put games on CTV to decrease viewership. Rogers didn't decide to keep Saturday night NHL on CBC instead of Sportsnet (a sports network!!!!!) to decrease viewership.

It's not a coincidence that the most viewed NHL games are the ones on CBC, which isn't a sports network.

No, they need to get at the growing part of the audience that drops TSN every year. The league is dropping the ball by being content to being banished to a declining specialty channel while other leagues are not.
All-Star

PreviousNext