NHL Hockey

Re: NHL Hockey

by Lyle B. Style » Wed May 10, 2017 9:34 pm

Aerial wrote:The Capitals are hopeless, maybe it's time to get rid of Ovechkin. Shutout in front of their own fans in Game 7, disgraceful.

Ovechkin is married to Les Kapitals - no other NHL team can afford him. Great regular season performer though. Ideal in Winnipeg - no threat of the Jets making playoffs for a couple years, anyways!

Only problem is Jets never pay top dollar!

If Ovie can be traded his only place for 10 mill a season is L.A. - a showcase Russian who's starting his decline into depravity!

btw - no matter how much rubbish we hurl at Ovenchicken there's no way he's a 3rd line player! Edward G. Robinson just didn't have anyone who could play with the guy!

Off to the worlds Alexa, off to the worlds! Or perhaps the KHL beckons??? :cowboy:
Last edited by Lyle B. Style on Thu May 11, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All-Star

by Aerial » Thu May 11, 2017 6:16 am

He's a great player, without question. But not sure what his value is at his price tag if he doesn't have what a leader should have with that price tag and talent?

Anyways, no all Canuck SC Final unfortunately. Good run by the Oilers though, they have an excellent squad.
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
All-Star

by drummer_god » Thu May 11, 2017 11:08 am

Lyle B. Style wrote:Only way Pens have a chance is if Matt Murray is 98% and can pull of the biggest heist since Jesse James. I don't see Fleury being able to stand up to a 35 or 40 shot assault - and holding the Caps to 2 or less goals (requirement for winning)

You were saying..... :D
Hall of Famer

by drummer_god » Thu May 11, 2017 11:11 am

drummer_god wrote:Very good, travel.
Who do you like in Rd 2?

I'm picking:

Pittsburgh
New York
Nashville
Edmonton

Well, I got 2 of 4 correct.
I'm now looking at 6 of 12 overall.
Hall of Famer

by TravelPat1 » Thu May 11, 2017 3:27 pm

I tanked this round with only 1 of 4 right (the Ducks) - so now 8 of 12 through two rounds.

I'm going with the Pens and the Ducks in this round.
All-Star

by drummer_god » Thu May 11, 2017 9:05 pm

Pens and Preds here.
Ducks keep burning me as they've proven me wrong twice already.
Hall of Famer

by KevinRiley2 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:54 pm

Nashville won. :thup:
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:05 am

OK - is there any other city in Canada where the Ticketmaster map would look like this just 10 hours before a Game 6 of a Conference Final. Several hundred unsold seats (blue dots). Some being resold through the Sens (red dots). But this does not even take into account the several hundred more that are available on other resale sites.

Pretty lame Sens fans.
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Tue May 23, 2017 9:13 am

Yeah, I don't get the inconsistency here.

They sold out the first 2 games pretty easily and game 1 was mid-week. Surely, I'd like to think fans have not given up on the team being down 3-2. A 7-0 loss is still only 1 loss so no reason why they can't come back.

And people wonder why those in Toronto lament that there is only 1 team here.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:26 am

TravelPat1 wrote:Pretty lame Sens fans.

Yup. Makes me worry for the CFL team in a few years.
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Tue May 23, 2017 9:31 am

Not sure if I'd link the two.

Once/if the sens get downtown I think attendance will improve dramatically. Build a little smaller too.

Considering, that the first 2 games sold out quite easily, to me this is a case of many fans not choosing to make the trek to Kanata (which is still lame considering what's at stake) as opposed to the inability to support the team.

Still doesn't look good right now.
All-Star

by EastVanMark » Tue May 23, 2017 2:12 pm

Think its a combination of a too large arena in a horrible site coupled with an a greedy ownership group.

For the Redblacks, you have a small stadium, close to downtown, with an ownership group that has managed to connect with youth fanbase in a way that almost no other team in the CFL has, with reasonable prices for its product. (Even though I heard that those unsold tickets are going for about $100 which is a good deal for an NHL Conference Finals.
All-Star

by Lyle B. Style » Tue May 23, 2017 4:43 pm

EastVanMark wrote:Think its a combination of a too large arena in a horrible site coupled with an a greedy ownership group.

For the Redblacks, you have a small stadium, close to downtown, with an ownership group that has managed to connect with youth fanbase in a way that almost no other team in the CFL has, with reasonable prices for its product. (Even though I heard that those unsold tickets are going for about $100 which is a good deal for an NHL Conference Finals.

Perhaps the Sens should play their playoff matches in Toronto - they'd sell out in no time - maybe not in next 5 to 10 years as Leafs should hold their own in diluted NHL.

CFL team should be OK for years to come so long as they maintain an average to above average product. The team will go down the tubes if they foist a "Winnipeg Style" product on their public. Bombers were very fortunate last 20-25 years that most of their fan base are super-lemmings and support the team come hell or high water. Also, the government of Manitoba gifted the bombers a 250 million dollar stadium - albeit a leaky one! :cowboy:
All-Star

by c-way-dude » Tue May 23, 2017 4:52 pm

I wonder if the Senators situation isn't like the situation was with the Expos. When you have an owner whining in the media for years about the location of his arena, you give people an excuse not to go. It was the same thing with the Expos and Olympic Stadium. Despite the fact that the Big O was connected by subway and a major east-west thoroughfare, fans got it into their heads that the building was out in the middle of nowhere. How long does it take to go from downtown Ottawa to the arena in Kanata?
All-Star

by Lyle B. Style » Tue May 23, 2017 5:37 pm

Ottawa is Canada's most predominant civil service town - no question. These folks don't have historical alliances with pro sports teams - they're basically their to collect the big paycheque - buy incredibly valuable homes, take advantage of our free healthcare and educational system, etc.

The real acid test for Eugene (Melnyk) will be if he's able to convince Ottawa city council and the province of Ontario to fund a new arena in Ottawa centre - not out in the boondocks! If Eugene wants an arena granted to him into perpetuity without so much as a stipend from his chequing account, let him rot.

My acid test? If a new arena and land comes in at around $310 million - then the following share formula should be attainable.

City of Ottawa - $95 million
Prov. of Ontario - $95 million
Melnyk & Senator investors - $95 million
Federal Govt. - $25 million

I'd have no objection to the federal govt. upping their ante to $50 or $60 million - reducing the other partner's investments to approx. $80 million each.

If Melnyk doesn't have $95 million cash floating around he can contribute whatever he can ($30 million minimum) and have the rest floated as long-term debt mortage. (like Winnipeg Blue Bombers)

New Ottawa facility can be more than just a hockey rink and exposition centre - build some commercial aspects around it (theatres, restaurants, bars, government offices, etc.) but don't build it with any more than 16,500 or 17,000 seats. Learn from Winnipeg's two examples. The hockey rink (MTS Centre) which was only built with 14,450 seats (now up to 15,400) and the IGF Stadium (over built to house 33,500, now down to 32,200 - should really be around 28,500 or 29,000)

Ottawa's football stadium is perfect at around 24,500 - as they can expand it to 33,000 for Grey Cups and Eastern Finals.

But the current Ottawa hockey rink is messy (both via location and nearly 20,000 seats)
All-Star

PreviousNext