TFC and the MLS Final.

Re: TFC and the MLS Final.

by -Hammer- » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:27 pm

Liquor Kitty wrote:
Argonauts est.1873 wrote:Now the little Italian and another TFC guy are blaming the Argos for the loss. hahahaha. Whining little sucks. They made the final and weren't good enough to score so it's the CFL's fault. Losers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I told you ... Hope Solo.

To be fair, one of them is outright saying "Expecting 100% perfect turf every time isn't going to happen. You have to accept that. The grounds crew did a magnificent job, and of course it's not as good as last year." which is pretty much to be expected
Les Tigre-Chats de Hamilton - Naufrage des navires depuis 1869
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:34 pm

Somebody should remind them - they are in Canada and they didn't play any home games in November and December any previous season. No matter how good the grounds crew and heating system - you are not going to have summer like pristine grass in late November or December regardless of one football game being played on it since October.
All-Star

by rcon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:50 pm

Argonauts est.1873 wrote:Now the little Italian and another TFC guy are blaming the Argos for the loss. hahahaha. Whining little sucks. They made the final and weren't good enough to score so it's the CFL's fault. Losers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Correct me I am wrong, but didn't Seattle play on the same field?? Typical soccer whiner.... sorry Pat , it just slipped out. :wink:
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:43 pm

Final FOX numbers up a bit from overnights + 601,000 on Spanish language Univision and you end up with a final TV rating for North America that is more than triple last year's MLS Cup and 1.5 million more than two years ago.

Fox: 1.411 million
Univision: 601,000
TSN: 1.42 million
RDS: 92,000

U.S. & Canada combined: 3.524 million

MLS has got to be happy with that.
All-Star

by BigJoeM » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:44 pm

rcon wrote:

Correct me I am wrong, but didn't Seattle play on the same field?? Typical soccer whiner.... sorry Pat , it just slipped out. :wink:

It's too bad one of the Seattle players doesn't tweet out we have no problem with sharing our stadium with the Seahawks football team not sure why it's an excuse .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by BigJoeM » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:54 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:Final FOX numbers up a bit from overnights + 601,000 on Spanish language Univision and you end up with a final TV rating for North America that is more than triple last year's MLS Cup and 1.5 million more than two years ago.

Fox: 1.411 million
Univision: 601,000
TSN: 1.42 million
RDS: 92,000

U.S. & Canada combined: 3.524 million

MLS has got to be happy with that.

Fox only had 1.4 million in a country 10 times the size of Canada on a National Network in primetime , wow . I am not sure that is much better than the old XFL who actually was booted off NBC for better audiences . R u sure about 1.4 million for Fox because that is not good for a national affiliated network .

TSN numbers are great . RDS is respectable . Univision is very good .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by TravelPat1 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:29 pm

1.411 million is comparable to what FOX got for some of their Saturday night NCAA football games. Some did much better but some were in that 1.3 - 1.5 million range. A USC - Arizona State Prime time game in September drew 1.5 million on Fox, a Baylor game was 1.3 million in October on FOX.

FOX were clearly OK - if not happy with these ratings since they put out a press release about them.
- http://www.foxsports.com/presspass/late ... -since-200

Networks are not in the habit of putting out press releases for ratings that are disappointing.
All-Star

by BigJoeM » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:02 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:1.411 million is comparable to what FOX got for some of their Saturday night NCAA football games. Some did much better but some were in that 1.3 - 1.5 million range. A USC - Arizona State Prime time game in September drew 1.5 million on Fox, a Baylor game was 1.3 million in October on FOX.

FOX were clearly OK - if not happy with these ratings since they put out a press release about them.

Networks are not in the habit of putting out press releases for ratings that are disappointing.

Maybe the CFL should join them and fox sports . Then have the Grey Cup on FOX . I am sure we can get 1.4 or 1.3 million with a national network in prime time .
Veteran

by rcon » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:42 pm

BigJoeM wrote:
TravelPat1 wrote:1.411 million is comparable to what FOX got for some of their Saturday night NCAA football games. Some did much better but some were in that 1.3 - 1.5 million range. A USC - Arizona State Prime time game in September drew 1.5 million on Fox, a Baylor game was 1.3 million in October on FOX.

Maybe the CFL should join them and fox sports . Then have the Grey Cup on FOX . I am sure we can get 1.4 or 1.3 million with a national network in prime time .

Especially on a night with no other sports competition against like the MLS Cup enjoyed!
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:33 pm

MLS plans on expanding to 28 teams - with expansion fees now up to $150 million. Wow! When you consider MLSE only had to pay $10 million for Toronto FC.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/mls-an ... --mls.html

Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber announced plans Thursday for the league's expansion to 28 teams, including a deadline for owners to apply and a new franchise fee.

The fee for the two teams expected to be granted in 2017 is jumping to $150 million. Garber also set a Jan. 31, 2017, deadline for interested potential owners or ownership groups to apply.

The league has expanded to 22 teams with the addition of Atlanta United FC and Minnesota United FC, which will debut next season.

The Los Angeles Football Club will join the league in 2018 as the 23rd team. The league announced it is ''making progress'' on plans to add a team in Miami - the high-profile bid that includes David Beckham - that would bring the league to 24.

Minnesota paid a $100 million franchise fee. In contrast, Toronto paid a $10 million fee in 2006. The fee does not cover the entire investment that owners will incur in starting up a franchise, like coaching staff salaries and stadium costs.

Some 10 markets have expressed interest in an MLS team, including Sacramento, St. Louis, San Antonio, Detroit, and San Diego.

Sacramento is considered one of the strongest candidates. The USL side, the Sacramento Republic, hosted Garber for a rally in April to demonstrate the city's enthusiasm for a top-level team.

Sacramento already has an agreement on a public-private soccer-specific stadium.

Quicken Loans Inc. founder Dan Gilbert, along with Detroit Pistons owner Tom Gores, first announced a bid for a Detroit MLS team in April, with plans for a $1 billion mixed-use stadium.

Another strong bid is expected from St. Louis. The potential ownership group for SC St. Louis includes former Bain Capital managing director Paul Edgerley and Jim Kavanaugh, owner of St. Louis FC of the USL.
All-Star

by rcon » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:09 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:MLS plans on expanding to 28 teams - with expansion fees now up to $150 million. Wow! When you consider MLSE only had to pay $10 million for Toronto FC.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/mls-an ... --mls.html

Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber announced plans Thursday for the league's expansion to 28 teams, including a deadline for owners to apply and a new franchise fee.

The fee for the two teams expected to be granted in 2017 is jumping to $150 million. Garber also set a Jan. 31, 2017, deadline for interested potential owners or ownership groups to apply.

The league has expanded to 22 teams with the addition of Atlanta United FC and Minnesota United FC, which will debut next season.

The Los Angeles Football Club will join the league in 2018 as the 23rd team. The league announced it is ''making progress'' on plans to add a team in Miami - the high-profile bid that includes David Beckham - that would bring the league to 24.

Minnesota paid a $100 million franchise fee. In contrast, Toronto paid a $10 million fee in 2006. The fee does not cover the entire investment that owners will incur in starting up a franchise, like coaching staff salaries and stadium costs.

Some 10 markets have expressed interest in an MLS team, including Sacramento, St. Louis, San Antonio, Detroit, and San Diego.

Sacramento is considered one of the strongest candidates. The USL side, the Sacramento Republic, hosted Garber for a rally in April to demonstrate the city's enthusiasm for a top-level team.

Sacramento already has an agreement on a public-private soccer-specific stadium.

Quicken Loans Inc. founder Dan Gilbert, along with Detroit Pistons owner Tom Gores, first announced a bid for a Detroit MLS team in April, with plans for a $1 billion mixed-use stadium.

Another strong bid is expected from St. Louis. The potential ownership group for SC St. Louis includes former Bain Capital managing director Paul Edgerley and Jim Kavanaugh, owner of St. Louis FC of the USL.

I guess they are trying to keep the ponzi scheme going by expanding and expanding. As PT Barnum said "There is one born every minute". They are keeping alot of teams afloat by expansion fees. Eventually there are going to run of cities to expand and these teams are going to have survive without expansion fee revenues. Then watch the collapse i.e. NASL.
All-Star

by BigJoeM » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:45 am

Could you imagine if Toronto , Montreal or Vancouver waited to join we wouldn't even be talking about it because no one would pay that entry fee in Canada that's 150 million US or 200 million Canadian to join MLS . Never would happen .

Is there a clause from teams moving or being sold to other cities because with that crazy fee I am sure one of the teams would have bolted by now to get one of those paydays. If that is the case then Forbes value are definitely inflated it you have no freedom to sell to highest bidder .
Veteran

by Mightygoose » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:11 am

The expansion process should be interesting to watch. Probably should make a new thread but I may do once the application deadline comes.

I agree at 150 mil just for team 25 and 26 and likely higher for the last 2, I don't think we'll ever see another Canadian city join the league.

Will find out how much of a demand there is at 150M. Found how quickly how the NHL missed the mark at 500M and getting only one application from US cities and 2 overall including Quebec.

What will be really fun to watch unfold over the coming years is not which city gets in, it's the ones that don't.

It's always nice for a league to have an ownership group or two with a stadium plan on the outside looking in just in case you have a situation or two that comes up once the expansion cheques stop rolling in. NHL has Quebec in their back pocket, who will be 'number 29' in this case
All-Star

by alphamale111 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:18 pm

Mightygoose wrote:The expansion process should be interesting to watch. Probably should make a new thread but I may do once the application deadline comes.

I agree at 150 mil just for team 25 and 26 and likely higher for the last 2, I don't think we'll ever see another Canadian city join the league.

Will find out how much of a demand there is at 150M. Found how quickly how the NHL missed the mark at 500M and getting only one application from US cities and 2 overall including Quebec.

What will be really fun to watch unfold over the coming years is not which city gets in, it's the ones that don't.

It's always nice for a league to have an ownership group or two with a stadium plan on the outside looking in just in case you have a situation or two that comes up once the expansion cheques stop rolling in. NHL has Quebec in their back pocket, who will be 'number 29' in this case

No more Canadian teams -especially now the Canadian Premier league is likely to start up in a couple of years.

MLS has a long list (10 or so) of potential expansion cities. San Antonio, St Louis, Cincinnati, Detroit, Miami, Tampa Bay, Las Vegas, Nashville, Raleigh, Sacramento, Charlotte are in the mix.
Veteran

by Argonauts est.1873 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:21 pm

This league implode as they are not worth that kind of coin. No chance of me ever changing my tune and following that bs.
Rescue the sunken 'Good Ship Argonaut' and restore her in 2017, PLEASE!!!!

Stay in Canada, spend in Canada!!!!!
All-Star

Previous