Media's double standards on CFL and MLS

Re: Media's double standards on CFL and MLS

by Mightygoose » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:50 pm

Mr. Pike wrote:
TravelPat1 wrote:Preliminary FOX overnights had it the highest rated MLS Cup final in 15 years averaging 1.3 million in English in the USA. Not bad considering one of the home markets wasn't counted in those ratings.

Should be Tuesday or Wednesday before final ratings are in for the Spanish language and Canadian ratings and final FOX numbers.

Boy they dodged a bullett with the game being played last night instead of in this snowstorm today.

So .1.3 million for a championship game in a country of 350,000,000 is good ? holy cow , i did not know that !

And considering that was on an over the air network (first time since 2008) and it would also factor in Canadians that don't have access to TSN.

Yes, only one US based team is factored in, but if the Grey Cup we're to draw double that in both English/French combined in a country with a smaller population and confinded to a cable medium (no domestic streaming) the reaction in the media and in this forum iwould be a major dispointment and a great concern with the Networks.

It smells like a double standard indeed.
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:44 pm

Well ratings are all relative depending on the league and sport- and what the numbers have been in the past.

1.3 million would be a disaster for an NFL football game or a big name matchup in NCAA football. But it is in the area of what FOX would get for some of their lesser matchups during the College Football Season (1.36 million for a Baylor-TCU Saturday night Big 12 game last month). It is also about what NHL regular season or early round playoff games on NBC get.

As for the MLS and soccer - it is one of the highest ever ratings for an MLS game on American English language television - and considering that was with the benefit of just one home American team market to spike the ratings - (the local rating in Seattle was 9.9 - meaning almost 10% of TV's in Seattle were tuned to the soccer game) I'm sure the MLS will be quite happy with that.

In the USA and Canada combined last year's MLS Cup drew a total of something like 750,000 combined on English language TV (ESPN/TSN) and about 500,000 in Spanish. The year before that it was in the 1,000,000 range on English language TV and 900,000 in Spanish because the higher profile big market LA Galaxy were involved .

So 1.3 million on FOX with the Spanish and likely a big Canadian number still to come is going to be a significant improvement for the MLS - so - yes - that is good news for them.
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:47 pm

So it's low hanging fruit then :lol:

Still, I would love to see a regional breakdown in the US. In would bet most of those are from the Seattle area and they don't have an NBA or NHL team to divide the TV market like Toronto did last night.
All-Star

by pw13 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:56 am

Mightygoose wrote:And considering that was on an over the air network (first time since 2008) and it would also factor in Canadians that don't have access to TSN.

No it wouldn't. U.S. ratings measure viewers in the U.S., not viewers watching U.S. feeds in Canada.
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:25 am

Mightygoose wrote:So it's low hanging fruit then :lol:

Still, I would love to see a regional breakdown in the US. In would bet most of those are from the Seattle area and they don't have an NBA or NHL team to divide the TV market like Toronto did last night.

Sure you could say low hanging fruit - but if the ratings are more than double some previous MLS Cups - which in all likelihood will be the case once all numbers are in - why would that be interpreted as bad news for the league - as Earl seems to be demanding I do?

'Ratings more than doubled - that's awful!' - Is that better Earl? :roll:

FYI - the overnight rating from Seattle was a 9.9 - meaning 9.9% of households in that market watched the game. Seattle's population is about 700,000 - including all of it's suburbs about 2,000,000 - so depending on what Nielsen ratings measures as 'Seattle' with about 10% watching the game - that is between 70,000 - 200,000. That still leaves over a million watching elsewhere.

And as pw13 points out Canadians who watched on FOX will not be counted in the ratings. I flipped back and forth between the two broadcasts and was exchanging Facebook Messenger messages during the game with a couple of friends in Toronto who have a basic Rogers cable package in Toronto so they were both watching on FOX because that basic Rogers cable package in Toronto does not include TSN.

Another example of how the CFL is hurting itself by sticking solely with TSN - as these would be the type of people who would have likely watched at least some of the Grey Cup game were it available to them. In fact one of these two guys a couple of times during the Grey Cup game messaged me with 'What's the score now?' messages.
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:47 am

TravelPat1 wrote:
Mightygoose wrote:So it's low hanging fruit then :lol:

Sure you could say low hanging fruit - but if the ratings are more than double some previous MLS Cups - which in all likelihood will be the case once all numbers are in - why would that be interpreted as bad news for the league - as Earl seems to be demanding I do?

'Ratings more than doubled - that's awful!' - Is that better Earl? :roll:

FYI - the overnight rating from Seattle was a 9.9 - meaning 9.9% of households in that market watched the game. Seattle's population is about 700,000 - including all of it's suburbs about 2,000,000 - so depending on what Nielsen ratings measures as 'Seattle' with about 10% watching the game - that is between 70,000 - 200,000. That still leaves over a million watching elsewhere.

And as pw13 points out Canadians who watched on FOX will not be counted in the ratings. I flipped back and forth between the two broadcasts and was exchanging Facebook Messenger messages during the game with a couple of friends in Toronto who have a basic Rogers cable package in Toronto so they were both watching on FOX because that basic Rogers cable package in Toronto does not include TSN.

Another example of how the CFL is hurting itself by sticking solely with TSN - as these would be the type of people who would have likely watched at least some of the Grey Cup game were it available to them. In fact one of these two guys a couple of times during the Grey Cup game messaged me with 'What's the score now?' messages.

Well considering last year, the MLS Cup final was not on an over the air so that alone would cause in the jump in the ratings as I agree, the Grey Cup on over the air would cause an increase. Plus it features a team in the 14th largest TV market with no local competition which I think factors in too. Last year it was a match up between 22nd and 32nd largest TV markets. So no denial it's a big jump from last year but what would a Toronto-Vancouver final register?

http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

Seattle's metro population is about 3.7 million and with a combined statistical area around 4.4 million so depending on what 10% of the TV market is comprised of, it's between 370 and 440 K carrying about a quarter to one third of the audience. Like any sports league outside of the NFL, the local teams will carry ratings. A Galaxy vs. NYFC or Red Bulls would be the dream match up for the TV executives down south. Likewise, Montreal vs. Vancouver would be a hard sell
All-Star

by ArgoT » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:55 am

The news portion to lead off coverage on Saturday night was way over the top reminded me a bit of the Crap Jays run.
The kool aid was running from the Rogers media to the other stations.
Glad the idiots lost.
All-Star

by BigJoeM » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:09 pm

Having the MLS Cup Final on National TV Fox not it's Fox Sports means it should /has to get big numbers for soccer .
We are talking Prime Time on a US Network not a specialty channel .

As far as TSN it will be interesting how it turns out I expect good numbers relative for soccer .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by Mightygoose » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:22 pm

I agree, we should be able to get some good numbers north of the 49th.

Though Frank Z's column generally comes out late Tuesday, I would think we should get a press release from Bell if the numbers are off the charts. I'm thinking no early release means the numbers we're good but not great.
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:07 pm

Press release is out - 1.42 million on TSN alone the average - which is about half a million more than they've ever had for an MLS game. As expected RDS dropped to 92,000. Overall a 1.51 million average.

Peaked at 2.7 million during PK's, 4.2 million watched part of the game. Audience share in Toronto was 35% of people watching TV at the time.

http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/toront ... n-and-rds/
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:49 pm

Good TV numbers I must say and this is going head to head against the Leafs. Drawing better than their US counterpart on a more limited reach though Toronto is a bigger market than Seattle.

I wonder how they define Toronto as a TV market. If it's metro then a 35% share pretty much gets almost right to at 1.4 million.

Also.makes me wonder how much will this make TSN's decision re:MLS if not done so already. Does very good ratings for the last 2 playoff rounds make up for lacklustre regular season numbers when the previous is not guaranteed every year?
All-Star

by ArgoT » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:16 pm

Nothing more than a one off situation, the perfect storm.
Anyone that saw that game and it was boring to say the least, will not come back.
The numbers for TFC will return to the 20k range as was the yearly average.
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:49 pm

Well to be fair - if this was the perfect positive storm - for the Toronto market at least - especially with a playoff matchup with Montreal in the Conference Finals - the previous nine years - were the perfect negative storm.

After all the team had the worst record in the MLS on average through those first nine years of its existence - often changing coaches midseason and usually out of playoff contention by the halfway point of the season.

Even though I've attended several TFC games in person - usually 3 or 4 a season going back to their first few years when I still lived in Toronto - this last month is really the first time in their ten year existence - where I actually got caught up and 'cared' about the result of their games. I suspect that 'caring' will carry over to next year and I'll be much more likely to make an effort to watch more of their regular season games on TV. Something I've rarely done over their first ten years.

I think before this past couple of months when I watched 6 TFC playoff games on TV - most seasons I had likely attended more TFC games - than games of theirs that I ever watched on TV.

Now - they may have me hooked somewhat - and that will be especially true if what this article forecasts is right.
- https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/why-to ... 40946.html
All-Star

by Liquor Kitty » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:38 am

Here's a negative article: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/mls/tor ... -1.3891444

Yankee team.
Veteran

by Argonauts est.1873 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:34 am

Canadians suck at soccer. That's why the national team is ranked like the last country in the world in soccer. Hell they'd lose to the Syrian team which is slightly depleted right now.
Rescue the sunken 'Good Ship Argonaut' and restore her in 2017, PLEASE!!!!

Stay in Canada, spend in Canada!!!!!
All-Star

Previous