Stadium plans announced for potential STL MLS expansion team

Re: Stadium plans announced for potential STL MLS expansion

by Aerial » Thu May 04, 2017 5:03 pm

No question the content rule would need to be discussed but between the CFLPA and the league and BOG, I'm sure some sort of an agreement could be established. Of course there will always be some that will disagree with whatever decision the powers to be come up with, that's par for the course.

But the CFL is a business nowadays more than any protection of Canadian content. I still support Canadian content that is meaningful to develop teams but people need to realize business is an important aspect of keeping the league going and not just going but growing.
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 2539
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:22 pm
Location: Hamilton, ON

Re: Stadium plans announced for potential STL MLS expansion

by CFL2USA » Wed May 10, 2017 9:32 pm

brihind88 wrote:It is rare I come to the other league section.

I had to open this one cause I knew where it was going.

I have been through this argument over and over in the main section and I will continue as long as the subject keeps coming up.

NO NO NO to US expansion.

Those who want , dream or hope for this were not around when this failed the first time.

For all the reasons before will be the same.

1- US teams will never have to follow the import rule because it VIOLATES US LABOUR LAWS.

2- The US owners and managers wanted to change the name from CFL to the NORTH AMERICAN LEAGUE. :thdn:

3 - Some ( Pepper Rogers ) wanted to go to 4 downs. " need to satisfy American fan base" :thdn:

4 - Jim Speros was on a crusade to start the season one month later , to not compete with summer activity.
YES , lets play the Grey Cup in December. Fun to have it in even colder conditions than November. :thdn:

5 - Aside from Baltimore, the US stadiums were EMPTY.

6 - US sport fans and US media consider the CFL to be semi - pro minor league. :thdn:

7- Many in the US do not even know the CFL exists.

I mentioned before , I went to Vegas in 2010 -2011 - 2012 for 4 UFL games.
A Vegas Tribune sports writer was going around the stadium asking people about the UFL and Locos.
He got talking to me , and I mentioned I was from Calgary, mentioned the Stamps and he had no idea there was even a CFL. He was a freaking sports reporter.

CFLUSA2, I am sure you are in the minority in STL.
Nobody other than you and perhaps 10,000 temporary curious onlookers will show.

If there is 6 - 12 cities in the US that have a need for football ( including Oakland and ST. Louis ) they just need to go form another American Spring Football League.

To repeat the biggest mistake in CFL history, would be above stupid.

Further, from what was reported the CFL never even received any expansion money.
The payments were deferred. Before they got any funds , they folded the US franchises.


In reference to points 6 and 7: So what if they do, a lot of Canadians I have met also feel this way. The CFL is an exciting brand of football, period. It has a place in the sports market. Also, people down south pack stadiums to watch amateurs play college football. As far as many Americans being unaware of the CFL, that is certainly true. However, according to posts made elsewhere in this forum, more than 10 percent of Americans watch the CFL regularly. That is more than 30 million people, a lot more than no one. If the previous expansion into the USA was a failure, then certainly it could be said that American Spring football is an epic fail, with the XFL, USFL, UFL, and others gone and Arena League on life support. As far as the CFL just being a novelty here, you could be right. That is an unknown. With growth comes risk. Why not guage interest by trying a few games here? It's a tack that has already been tried in the NFL (the Bills in Toronto and the regularly scheduled games in London). It is low risk.
Rookie
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: St. Peters, MO

Re: Stadium plans announced for potential STL MLS expansion

by brihind88 » Sun May 14, 2017 5:24 pm

CFLUSA2, first thank you for being a fan.

It is always an honor to have Americans follow our league and join this site.

As for the few dumb Canadians you have met, I could care less of their viewpoint.
There is enough CFL fan support in Canada, both at the stadiums and tv ratings to keep the league going strong.

Yes, it is watched and followed in the US by some.

However, please understand that some watching and going to a stadium are 2 different things.
In other words there are not enough fans in the US to justify a US team.

This was proven in the first US expansion fail.

That of coarse answers your question of why not try a few games. Because it has already proven to fail.
For all the reasons I have pointed out.

BTW, you are aware that the Bills in Toronto was a major bust right ?
All-Star
 
Posts: 2241
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Stadium plans announced for potential STL MLS expansion

by CFL2USA » Sun May 14, 2017 9:59 pm

brihind88 wrote:
.

BTW, you are aware that the Bills in Toronto was a major bust right ?


Yes, thank you. My point (which was not very well explained) is that the "bust" was not damaging to the NFL. No harm came of it, and the NFL was able to get a guage on the interest without actually locating a team there. I should probably put this to bed, but I love football, including CFL, and believe that the game day experience at the stadium is much better than watching it on TV. Is U.S. expansion a pipe dream? Probably, but I mean no harm.
Rookie
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: St. Peters, MO

Re: Stadium plans announced for potential STL MLS expansion

by brihind88 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:27 pm

CFL2USA wrote:
brihind88 wrote:
.

BTW, you are aware that the Bills in Toronto was a major bust right ?


Yes, thank you. My point (which was not very well explained) is that the "bust" was not damaging to the NFL. No harm came of it, and the NFL was able to get a guage on the interest without actually locating a team there. I should probably put this to bed, but I love football, including CFL, and believe that the game day experience at the stadium is much better than watching it on TV. Is U.S. expansion a pipe dream? Probably, but I mean no harm.


I know you mean no harm. :? That is confusing.
I did not mean to make you feel unwelcome.
Just pointing out some facts.

Not sure what you situation is , but someday perhaps you could plan a few trips to Canada and catch some games.
We do have a dedicated US fan on this site in the US AirForce that has been to a few stadiums up here and has had a great time. Others have done it as well.
All-Star
 
Posts: 2241
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Stadium plans announced for potential STL MLS expansion

by CFL2USA » Mon May 15, 2017 12:32 pm

brihind88 wrote:
CFL2USA wrote:
brihind88 wrote:
.

BTW, you are aware that the Bills in Toronto was a major bust right ?


Yes, thank you. My point (which was not very well explained) is that the "bust" was not damaging to the NFL. No harm came of it, and the NFL was able to get a guage on the interest without actually locating a team there. I should probably put this to bed, but I love football, including CFL, and believe that the game day experience at the stadium is much better than watching it on TV. Is U.S. expansion a pipe dream? Probably, but I mean no harm.


I know you mean no harm. :? That is confusing.
I did not mean to make you feel unwelcome.
Just pointing out some facts.

Not sure what you situation is , but someday perhaps you could plan a few trips to Canada and catch some games.
We do have a dedicated US fan on this site in the US AirForce that has been to a few stadiums up here and has had a great time. Others have done it as well.



I did get an opportunity to watch the Eskimos play the Ti-Cats in Hamilton in 2015, thoroughly enjoyed it. :rockin:
Rookie
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: St. Peters, MO

Re: Stadium plans announced for potential STL MLS expansion

by brihind88 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:43 pm

YIKES,

That was the game that Zach Collaros went down with a knee ripped ACL.

:thdn: :thdn: :thdn:
All-Star
 
Posts: 2241
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Stadium plans announced for potential STL MLS expansion

by CFL2USA » Mon May 15, 2017 4:58 pm

brihind88 wrote:YIKES,

That was the game that Zach Collaros went down with a knee ripped ACL.

:thdn: :thdn: :thdn:


Yes, and then the TiCats lost the game. I think the rest of their season kind of went down the tubes.
Rookie
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: St. Peters, MO

Previous

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests