Soccer Playoffs

Re: Soccer Playoffs

by PTBO Dave » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:56 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:I got home late from a work event - and the game was just starting because they painted the lines of the penalty box wrong. So literally for half an hour people were watching paint dry - I know some non-soccer fans will have a few jokes about that. lol.

But after that OH MY! What a game and what an insane atmosphere. TFC scoring those two late goals to get back to within one is HUGE. Now if they win 1-0 or 2-1 next week - they advance because of the two road goals.

They released the 7 - 8 thousand temporary seats at BMO for sale this morning to next Wednesday night's game and throughout the day about 80% of those sold out. Since the game ended tonight you can literally watch the blue dots disappear every time the screen refreshes itself on Ticketmaster.

I'll bet they'd go fast after that second half. Will be nice to see a couple of big soldout football games at BMO in the next week or so!
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by Aerial » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:21 am

Great for the soccer fans, good for them. They look like they are enjoying themselves, watched a bit of the game last night but I can't get into this stuff myself.
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:29 pm

So Seattle went into Colorado and won 1 - 0 today - so they win 3 - 1 aggregate and are the west rep. for the MLS Cup.

If Montreal can win or tie in Toronto or score at least 3 goals and only lose by one - they go to Seattle. If Toronto wins by two goals or wins the game 1-0 or 2-1 they will host Seattle.

If Toronto wins 3-2 in regulation o Wednesday - the game goes to overtime to decide who advances.

Should be insane at BMO again Wednesday night.
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:04 pm

Exciting first half with TFC now with the slight advantage.

Nice to see BMO packed with happy fans twice in a matter of days. :thup:
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:51 pm

OMG!

Has there ever been a stadium host two different events, in two differents sports within 3 nights , that turned out to be so OFF THE CHARTS exciting!

My buddy at the game tonight said it was the most insane crowd he has ever been a part of.

WHAT A GAME!

So glad I'm both a football and soccer fan and could enjoy two overtime thrillers within days. And yes - tonight because it was a tean I cheer for - just fantastic! :thup:
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:41 pm

I think it was great showcase for the game. Even those who aren't normally into soccer should've enjoyed that one.

So, is the finals just a single game hosted in Toronto then? If so, do you know why they go with a 2-game aggregate for the conference semis and finals but just the one game for the finals? Seems odd to me.
-Confucius

All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:00 am

I agree the one game final seems strange - but it does tend to be the 'norm' in soccer playoffs - with often the final single game being on a neutral field - which is what used to happen in the MLS.

For instant - the UEFA club championships game has always been hosted somewhere announced well in advance as a one game final. Yet the quater-final and semi-final games (as far as I know) have alwyaus been a home and home aggregate score thing like this Montreal-Toronto games.
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:11 pm

A good highlight package in which you can get a taste of the insanity of the crowd the other night.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/11/3 ... oplay=true
All-Star

by Grover » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:19 am

MLS Cup final sells out three minutes after going on sale to general public

TORONTO - Tickets for Saturday's MLS Cup final sold out three minutes after going on sale to the general public Monday.
BMO Field, augmented by temporary seats in the south stand left over from the recent Grey Cup, will have a capacity of 36,000 for the championship game between Toronto FC and the Seattle Sounders.
Toronto's 18,700 season ticket-holder had first crack at the seats after the league had taken its allotment. Another 1,500 went to the Sounders fans. The rest were snapped up minutes after they went on sale to the general public at 1 p.m. ET.
Last year's championship game drew a sellout crowd of 21,747 tot MAPFRE Stadium in Columbus, Ohio.

http://www.cp24.com/sports/toronto-fc-n ... -1.3190453
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:50 pm

Grover wrote:MLS Cup final sells out three minutes after going on sale to general public

TORONTO - Tickets for Saturday's MLS Cup final sold out three minutes after going on sale to the general public Monday.
BMO Field, augmented by temporary seats in the south stand left over from the recent Grey Cup, will have a capacity of 36,000 for the championship game between Toronto FC and the Seattle Sounders.
Toronto's 18,700 season ticket-holder had first crack at the seats after the league had taken its allotment. Another 1,500 went to the Sounders fans. The rest were snapped up minutes after they went on sale to the general public at 1 p.m. ET.
Last year's championship game drew a sellout crowd of 21,747 tot MAPFRE Stadium in Columbus, Ohio.

http://www.cp24.com/sports/toronto-fc-n ... -1.3190453

:thup:

Anyone know if those temp seats are really special leftovers just from the Grey Cup, or will they be readily available for TFC playoffs (or any other special events that need it) in future seasons?

I recall seeing plans for the expansion of BMO which seemed like that extra seating was part of the stadium's property rather than specially rented equipment from an outside source, but it wasn't really clear one way or the other.
-Confucius

All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:16 pm

Good question. It took them about 3 weeks to construct them and I believe they are coming down after the hockey game on New Years. So unless there were other special events that they were being put up for - a week or two notice for hosting a play-off game would not be enough time. So not sure when we will see those 6,000 again for a soccer game after this weekend.
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:20 pm

I'll post in the proper of the many MLS threads...about the playoffs themselves!

It was a good run by TFC. Sucks to lose on penalties. I don’t like winning in that fashion either but that's hownit goes.

They'll have lots to build on for next season. They won't have to wait too long. The MLS campaign is so long, doesn't next season start tomorrow?...lol
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:17 am

Mightygoose wrote: They won't have to wait too long. The MLS campaign is so long, doesn't next season start tomorrow?...lol

February for pre-season games - lol
All-Star

Previous