Raiders exploring move to Las Vegas

Re: Raiders exploring move to Las Vegas

by rpaege » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:28 pm

Paolo X wrote:
Aerial wrote:Looks like the Raider are staying in Oakland after all. Or maybe San Diego? :wink:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/raider ... 2017-01-31

I agree. It looks to me like the status quo to stay in Oakland is the easiest option even though we've been told for years that the state of Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum is horrible.

Don't believe that about the Oakland Coliseum. When some say it's "horrible" what they really mean is that it's not luxurious enough. Otherwise it's a perfectly sturdy, if unglamorous, old stadium. The biggest issue for Raider fans is sharing the field with the A's and having 1/3 of the field covered in dirt until the A's miss the playoffs again :lol:

In any case, they want a new super stadium to rival the easy bake oven in Santa Clara. They'll get it eventually, probably in the same location.
ImageImage
All-Star

by Paolo X » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:00 am

rpaege wrote:
Paolo X wrote:
Aerial wrote:Looks like the Raider are staying in Oakland after all. Or maybe San Diego? :wink:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/raider ... 2017-01-31

I agree. It looks to me like the status quo to stay in Oakland is the easiest option even though we've been told for years that the state of Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum is horrible.

Don't believe that about the Oakland Coliseum. When some say it's "horrible" what they really mean is that it's not luxurious enough. Otherwise it's a perfectly sturdy, if unglamorous, old stadium. The biggest issue for Raider fans is sharing the field with the A's and having 1/3 of the field covered in dirt until the A's miss the playoffs again :lol:

In any case, they want a new super stadium to rival the easy bake oven in Santa Clara. They'll get it eventually, probably in the same location.

Hey thanks for the true local view. This tells me they'll stay in Oakland barring the unforeseen golden knight saviour as was Adelson until they tried to strong-arm him and the locals in Las Vegas with a very heavy-handed approach in presentation to the NFL.

Wow was that a huge mistake that I am not sure the Raiders and most outside of Las Vegas realize. By keeping the door to Las Vegas at least open instead of essentially closed like now, at the very least the Raiders' options and leverage with Oakland and elsewhere would be greater even if they were not to proceed in the end with the move to Las Vegas.
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:45 pm

It appears Davis had found a financing partner with Bank of America

http://www.tsn.ca/source-raiders-find-n ... m-1.689301

Vegas stadium Comitee meets on Thursday to likely approve the lease.

If so then it should be an easy rubber stamp when the owners meet later this month
All-Star

by Paolo X » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:42 am

Mightygoose wrote:It appears Davis had found a financing partner with Bank of America

http://www.tsn.ca/source-raiders-find-n ... m-1.689301

Vegas stadium Comitee meets on Thursday to likely approve the lease.

If so then it should be an easy rubber stamp when the owners meet later this month

Hmmm this should get interesting down the road if it passes with the NFL owners considering also that Adelson has a high degree of control of the local media in Las Vegas.
All-Star

by RedandWhite » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:01 pm

...the owners vote tomorrow and by all accounts there is going to be no opposition to the move...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Site Staff

by Mightygoose » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:02 pm

Yeah, it should be an easy vote.

Oakland sent a 'revised' proposal Friday night to the league and Goddell promptly replied...not good enough and too late.

I get the sense the owners want to put this issue behind them.
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:29 pm

NFL approves the Raiders move to Las Vegas with a 31-1 yes vote.

http://www.tsn.ca/raiders-approved-for- ... e-1.707420

Vegas goes from a city with no major league teams to 2 in less than 10 months.

Oakland if I'm not mistaken is the first city to lose the same team twice.
All-Star

by CFL2USA » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:27 pm

That creates 3 football ready markets that the NFL can't lay claim to. They formally approved all the moves. I wonder if there is any other league out there that would like to fill the void? :rockin:
Rookie

by Aerial » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:40 pm

Oakland if I'm not mistaken is the first city to lose the same team twice.

yeah Mightygoose, you might just be right on that! :o

As usual, Field of Schemes lays a lickin' on it: :wink:

NFL expected to vote today to approve Raiders move to Vegas, because $750m talks real loud

The NFL is finally set to cast its vote on allowing Mark Davis to move the Oakland Raiders to Las Vegas, and at least one prominent observer is predicting it will pass:

On the eve of the NFL’s annual spring meeting in Phoenix, commissioner Roger Goodell told ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio that the voting outcome on the Oakland Raiders‘ proposed move to Las Vegas will be “positive.”

“I think we will have a vote, and I think we will have a positive vote. I think we are in pretty good shape,” Goodell said.

Goodell’s job is to do the bidding of the 32 NFL owners, so unless he’s reading the room very poorly, he probably knows of what he speaks. Which means the NFL will soon see its third franchise relocation in the two years since St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke first laid plans to move to Los Angeles and jump-started the whole relocation merry-go-round. And also that the NFL is more excited about a public body writing Davis a $750 million check than worried about how Davis will repay the $650 million he’ll have to borrow, which it probably should be, given that there’s no way anyone else was going to offer the Raiders that much stadium cash, and playing in a relatively small Las Vegas market doesn’t matter too much so long as those national TV checks keep rolling in.

There is still every sign that the Las Vegas Raiders could be a disaster, given not just that $650 million debt load but the, shall we say, uncertainty around whether a team will be able to sell season tickets when its main customer base is expected to be fans of visiting teams who’d like to combine a trip to a road game with some gambling and hearing old guys play music. But they’ve pretty much been a disaster in Oakland, too, so I can certainly see 24 NFL owners saying, “Fine, Mark stumbled into a $750 million check, let him go ahead and try to make it work.”

As for what this means for the league as a whole: L.A. is now full up as a market, and Oakland and San Diego are both close enough to existing NFL cities — Santa Clara and Los Angeles, respectively — and disinterested enough in throwing money at new stadiums that’s it’s unlikely anyone will use them as a move threat anytime soon. Which means the next time an NFL team owner wants to saber-rattle in order to shake loose public funds, he’s going to need to resort to … St. Louis? San Antonio? London? I guess if Las Vegas is an acceptable target, there’s no reason Austin or Birmingham or Portland (either one) isn’t, so this doesn’t really hurt team owners’ leverage much. And it adds to the viability of the threat that teams could move anywhere, anytime, so don’t push us, or we’ll go ahead and do it, believe you me!

Pro football really is the worst of all sports for many, many reasons, and needs to meet a quick and unceremonious demise. Youth football participation seems to have reversed its precipitous decline, but where there’s the fear of death, there’s hope.

http://www.fieldofschemes.com
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
All-Star

by EastVanMark » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:41 am

Riders moving to Las Vegas? But they just built a new stadium....oh nevermind
All-Star

by CFL2USA » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:18 pm

EastVanMark wrote:Riders moving to Las Vegas? But they just built a new stadium....oh nevermind

Maybe they could call them the RoughRaiders. (insert groan here) :roll:
Rookie

by okie » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:23 am

Obviously whoever planned it didn't realize it at the time, but a CFL team is going to hold their minicamp in a NFL City. At the end of April, the Edmonton Eskimos will have their minicamp in Las Vegas.
All-Star

by Paolo X » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:58 pm

The NFL and the Oakland Raiders can thank substantially, other than the state of Nevada, none other than Dallas Cowboys' owner Jerry Jones.

After brokering the deals that put two teams in LA and kept the Raiders out, Jones was the party who brought Bank of America to the table and who again appeased many of the reluctant NFL owners.

Furthermore, Jones owns a sports travel booking company called Legends that specializes in booking luxury suites for NFL stadia nationwide:
http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2017/03 ... missioner/

The NFL owners also will have a taste of the additional action generated by luxury suite sales and other services for the game day experience provided by Legends also in Las Vegas.

In addition, as many of the over three visitors million a month to Las Vegas on average know, it's a whole lot more fun to visit Las Vegas on business and write it off for tax purposes than it is to do so in most other cities including Oakland.
All-Star

by Aerial » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:50 am

In the long run having a team in Vegas in an excellent football specific stadium, and the Raiders to boot, should do nothing but be positive for the league if the league can hack it for a few years until the Raiders move, which won't be the nicest thing. A SB in Vegas also is intriguing for the league from a marketing viewpoint, no question.
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:06 pm

Hope to see a new stadium and team in Oakland, one day.
All-Star

PreviousNext