CIS Football

Re: CIS Football

by deerkeeper » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:18 am

You should also mention that Laurier came back from a 21 point deficit in the 4th quarter to win.
Veteran

by DAN38 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:45 am

deerkeeper wrote:You should also mention that Laurier came back from a 21 point deficit in the 4th quarter to win.

OK, I will. :lol:
Si vis pacem... para bellum
All-Star

by Aerial » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:52 am

I'm a Mustang fan but have to give credit to Laurier for one heck of a comeback, one of the most exciting games I've seen in a long time. Congrats to the Golden Hawks for never giving up.
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:50 pm

Vanier Cup organizers in Hamilton have to be praying Lauier knocks off Laval next weekend as that is the only way it appears there will be any kind of a crowd at the Vanier Cup. It looks like fewer than 2000 tickets have been sold thus far and a Laval against Calgary or StFx matchup is not likely going to result in spike in ticket sales.
All-Star

by Aerial » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:04 pm

Yup. CIS football is such a bargain for the entertainment value but sadly it really doesn't get a lot of fan support. Of course that's why television and attendance numbers don't mean much to the actual players, they bust there but even if no one is watching. As any athlete should do.
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:24 pm

And unfortunately Laval won. So we might see a few hundred make the trek from Quebec City - but this could be embarrassing for Hamilton next weekend. :(
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:37 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:And unfortunately Laval won. So we might see a few hundred make the trek from Quebec City - but this could be embarrassing for Hamilton next weekend. :(

While it would be nice to have larger crowds for Vanier, it is still amateur sport. I don't think a smallish crowd reflects particularly badly on Hamilton. I'm excited to see my alma mater in Calgary take on the perennial CIS powerhouse Laval . . . hope they can pull off the upset. :thup:
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by Aerial » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:35 pm

People around here, too many of them, look at the CIS as glorified high school. Sadly.
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:48 pm

Looks like a pint size crowd unfortunately at the Vanier Cup in Hamilton.

Too bad - because at 14-7 Calgary just ten minutes in - this is looking like it may be a shootout.
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:34 pm

Sadly, I missed the game today. Even though my Dinos lost, it looked like a great match.

That's 0-5 against Laval for Calgary. :x But. . . can't wait for the 6th try. :thup:
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by BYF » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:30 pm

I didn't think many people in the area of Hamilton would have been that interested in seeing Calgary take on Laval for the Vanier Cup. But those who were there were treated to a great game, one that might even be considered a classic.

When I started watching it, I didn't expect to watch it for long. I thought Laval would easily defeat Calgary and I planned on turning it off after it started turning into a blowout. But on the first play after the opening kickoff, Jimmy Underdahl threw a TD pass. Then Calgary got a TD on the next drive and Laval looked like the underdogs. Unfortunately, Underdahl got injured, but backup QB Adam Sinagra, who I understand played like a starter while Underdahl was out earlier this year, did quite well.

The game had its some moments that could have been considered turning points. There was Laval blocking a punt and getting their last TD after that. And after Calgary's second-last drive, which ended in a turnover on downs, the Calgary D stopped Laval short on 3rd and 1. Then with just over a minute left, it could have gone either way. The Calgary drive was going quite well, but didn't quite make it all the way for the TD they needed.

It was a heartbreaking loss for Calgary, and you have to wonder how much different it would have been if it were not for the injury to Underdahl. Congrats to Laval on the win, but credit should also go to Calgary for making this game a very entertaining one.
Yes, I am that "BobYoungFan" guy. :)
Veteran

by DAN38 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:40 am

It was a fantastic game that had everything you could want and it came right down to the end. I'm disappointed in the crowd size. It shouldn't matter where the teams are from. This is top calibre football being played. I thought Hamilton would show up. :thdn:
Si vis pacem... para bellum
All-Star

by Aerial » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:15 am

The Vanier Cup should be be sure a home team is in it. A shame there was hardly anyone there. I taped the game and watched it, great game. I can't stand Laval though and their coach and was disappointed they won.
All-Star

by BigJoeM » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:39 pm

It's a black eye for Hamilton people especially Cats fans that won't support amateur football . I guess there was the mall and hiking to do . Sad .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by BYF » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:02 pm

I think another reason there weren't many in attendance for the Vanier Cup game is because Laval was expected to defeat Calgary about as easily as they defeated Laurier. I didn't think the game would be that entertaining and I didn't mind being wrong about that. Maybe attendance at THF will be better for the 2017 Vanier Cup game.
Yes, I am that "BobYoungFan" guy. :)
Veteran

Previous