CFL (and other sports) TV Ratings 2016

Re: CFL (and other sports) TV Ratings 2016

by KevinRiley2 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:01 pm

Argofan_1000 wrote:
TravelPat1 wrote:Yup Xvys explanation is spot on. Yahoo Sports Canada seems to be cutting back and Zelkovich - who used to do the sports ratings report for the Toronto Star before he moved to Yahoo sports was the only regular and reliable source for Canadian sports ratings on a weekly basis.

So unless somebody steps up in the next few months - we are likely going to be in the dark for CFL ratings this year.


Paulo Senra from the CFL office posts ratings on twitter. If Chris doesn't do it then I am sure Paulo will. This was last weekends ratings before the playoffs. TFC I don't think they are doing very well in the beginning of the season or Paulo would publish it

Paulo Senra‏ Apr 11

Past weekend's avg sports ratings: Leafs/Pens 1.8M, Masters 1.3M, Curling Final 1M, Jays/Rays 735K, Raps/Knicks 164K

Any word on the CTV TFC game numbers?
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8643
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: CFL (and other sports) TV Ratings 2016

by Argofan_1000 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:33 am

KevinRiley2 wrote:
Argofan_1000 wrote:
TravelPat1 wrote:Yup Xvys explanation is spot on. Yahoo Sports Canada seems to be cutting back and Zelkovich - who used to do the sports ratings report for the Toronto Star before he moved to Yahoo sports was the only regular and reliable source for Canadian sports ratings on a weekly basis.

So unless somebody steps up in the next few months - we are likely going to be in the dark for CFL ratings this year.


Paulo Senra from the CFL office posts ratings on twitter. If Chris doesn't do it then I am sure Paulo will. This was last weekends ratings before the playoffs. TFC I don't think they are doing very well in the beginning of the season or Paulo would publish it

Paulo Senra‏ Apr 11

Past weekend's avg sports ratings: Leafs/Pens 1.8M, Masters 1.3M, Curling Final 1M, Jays/Rays 735K, Raps/Knicks 164K

Any word on the CTV TFC game numbers?


Can't find anything so they are low. Paulo knows and if they were decent he would publish them. They are less than 163K probably like last year at 40-60.

Forbes reported TFC lost $9 million US last year on $38 million revenue. The highest in the MLS.
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:38 am

Re: CFL (and other sports) TV Ratings 2016

by KevinRiley2 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:24 am

Argofan_1000 wrote:Can't find anything so they are low. Paulo knows and if they were decent he would publish them. They are less than 163K probably like last year at 40-60.

Forbes reported TFC lost $9 million US last year on $38 million revenue. The highest in the MLS.

That's a shame. :thup:
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8643
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: CFL (and other sports) TV Ratings 2016

by TravelPat1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:33 am

Huge day for Rogers and Sportsnet on Saturday - since they make all the money off the ads on HNIC games on CBC too.

13.2 million Canadians the total reach for Rogers sports programming that day.

Biggest game average audience - of course for the Leafs on Saturday night - 3.86 million average for the Leafs game (that's almost a Grey Cup like number), peaking at 5.34 million during the second overtime.

http://media.sportsnet.ca/2017/04/stanl ... -saturday/

TORONTO (April 17, 2017) Big day in sports draws big audiences with 37% of Canadians tuning in to programming on Sportsnet and CBC this past Saturday for Stanley Cup Playoffs, Raptors Playoffs, Blue Jays, and the Grand Slam of Curling: Players’ Championship.

“We take great pride in being able to consistently deliver the widest variety of world-class sporting events to fans across the country. Sportsnet has the platforms and partnerships, the content, and the expertise to help Canadians embrace their passion for sports,” said Scott Moore, President, Sportsnet & NHL Properties, Rogers Media.

The biggest draw on Saturday was the Stanley Cup Playoffs, with the three games featuring Canadian teams and the pre-game show ranking as the Top 4 programs of the day on Canadian television:

Toronto Maple Leafs @ Washington Capitals – average audience of 3.64 million viewers (produced by Sportsnet on CBC)
- Audiences peaked at 5.34 million at the start of double overtime

Calgary Flames @ Anaheim Ducks – average audience of 1.34 million viewers (CBC)

Boston Bruins @ Ottawa Senators – average audience of 1.03 million viewers (Sportsnet)

Hockey Central pre-game show – average audience of 1.34 million viewers (Sportsnet and CBC)

In addition to the NHL, Canadians made Sportsnet their sports destination of choice, also tuning in to MLB, NBA, and Curling:
- Baltimore Orioles @ Toronto Blue Jays – average audience of 574,000 viewers (Sportsnet ONE)
- Milwaukee Bucks @ Toronto Raptors – average audience of 451,000 viewers (Sportsnet ONE)
- Grand Slam of Curling – Players’ Championship women’s quarter-finals – average audience of 122,000 viewers (Sportsnet 360)
All-Star
 
Posts: 2943
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:07 pm

Re: CFL (and other sports) TV Ratings 2016

by TravelPat1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:10 pm

Rogers have to be so happy 5 Canadian teams made the playoffs - and even happier that 4 of them have leads in their series.

Through the first 5 days of Stanley Cup action - Wednesday through Sunday - 51% of the Canadian population - 17.9 million Canadians watched at least a part of the Stanley Cup Playoffs on Sportsnet and CBC.
All-Star
 
Posts: 2943
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:07 pm

Re: CFL (and other sports) TV Ratings 2016

by Argofan_1000 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:51 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:Rogers have to be so happy 5 Canadian teams made the playoffs - and even happier that 4 of them have leads in their series.

Through the first 5 days of Stanley Cup action - Wednesday through Sunday - 51% of the Canadian population - 17.9 million Canadians watched at least a part of the Stanley Cup Playoffs on Sportsnet and CBC.


you have to be careful when you use statistics. 51% of Canada didn't watch. I can show you the difference if you can't figure it out.

Didn't you chime in on the "total reach" issue with Bell and the CFL last year but when your employer Rogers does it you are OK with it?
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:38 am

Re: CFL (and other sports) TV Ratings 2016

by TravelPat1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:07 pm

Wow - when did Rogers open a travel agency and hire me? I don't even have any Rogers service FYI. Bell at work and mobile and Cogeco at home.

The difference is the Sportsnet release makes it clear they are talking about total reach of multiple games even using the word 'reaches' and then gave average viewership and reach - both clearly labelled - for specific games.

The CFL one for which they got flack from various media sources was because the initial CFL press releases gave a number for one specific game and did not make it clear that the number they were reporting was not an average number but a total reach number instead.

It even had a bunch of posters here confused because some assumed it was an average viewers number and they were posting the number here all excited because they thought it was a 'great news!' average viewership number. Only later to be brought back down to earth when the actual average viewer numbers came out later.

BIG difference.
All-Star
 
Posts: 2943
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:07 pm

Re: CFL (and other sports) TV Ratings 2016

by TravelPat1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:24 pm

No Monday night ratings for Canada yet from last night's NHL games. In the USA - the Caps - Leafs game was the highest of the four games.

NBCSN:
Caps/Leafs: 615K
Ducks/Flames: 375K

CNBC:
Hawks/Preds: 505K
Sens-Bruins: 289K

The Raptors game Saturday in addition to the 451,000 average on Sportsnet One up here - drew 2.6 million viewers on ESPN in the USA.
All-Star
 
Posts: 2943
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:07 pm

Re: CFL (and other sports) TV Ratings 2016

by Mightygoose » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:25 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:Wow - when did Rogers open a travel agency and hire me? I don't even have any Rogers service FYI. Bell at work and mobile and Cogeco at home.

The difference is the Sportsnet release makes it clear they are talking about total reach of multiple games even using the word 'reaches' and then gave average viewership and reach - both clearly labelled - for specific games.

The CFL one for which they got flack from various media sources was because the initial CFL press releases gave a number for one specific game and did not make it clear that the number they were reporting was not an average number but a total reach number instead.

It even had a bunch of posters here confused because some assumed it was an average viewers number and they were posting the number here all excited because they thought it was a 'great news!' average viewership number. Only later to be brought back down to earth when the actual average viewer numbers came out later.

BIG difference.


I'm with Argofans here and remember this. It happened for Labour Day last year and first mic'd up game the week prior.

What I remember the term they used was 'unique viewers' which is not average .

Yes, the confusion happened on this site when some here made the assumption was made before facts were known (even Simmons made that error) If anyone made the assumption on Rogers numbers (anyone can something wrong). It's not the fault of any network but what's good for gander is not good for the goose eh? :P
Last edited by Mightygoose on Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1536
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:04 am

Re: CFL (and other sports) TV Ratings 2016

by KevinRiley2 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:26 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:Wow - when did Rogers open a travel agency and hire me?

It's a reward for all the Pro-Jays, Pro-TFC, Pro-Everything-Except-CFL posting you do. ;)
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8643
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: CFL (and other sports) TV Ratings 2016

by TravelPat1 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:42 am

Mightygoose wrote:What I remember the term they used was 'unique viewers' which is not average.


Yes they did use 'unique' for some of the tweets - and that word to me made it clear they were talking reach which I pointed out when some here were claiming that they thought that meant average rating. When I correctly pointed out I thought that meant the number they were using was reach and not an average ratings number I was accused (yet again) of being an anti-CFL Rogers plant by some here.

But the CFL took the most grief for the wording they used when describing the Argos - Cats Labour Day game where the exact wording of that tweet was.

2.9 million Canadians watched the @Ticats & @TorontoArgos on @TSN_Sports during @MarksCanada #LDWeekend #CFL


That was ambiguous at best - especially when it was not accompanied anywhere at the time on any CFL press release that the actual average rating was (a very good) 902,000 for that game - which we only knew when Zelkovich reported that number the next day.

There is no such ambiguity in the recent Sportsnet PR tweets and linked press releases nor was there in any CFL ratings releases after that weekend.
Last edited by TravelPat1 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All-Star
 
Posts: 2943
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:07 pm

Re: CFL (and other sports) TV Ratings 2016

by TravelPat1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:56 pm

Somewhat surprisingly the Leafs-Caps series is doing very well on NBCSN. Overnight ratings for last night's game were the best in 3 years for a 1st round Game 4 on cable in the US. That's particularly impressive considering the Leafs are a Canadian team with no local ratings bounce for NBCSN.

It turns out the presence of Canadian teams has not really hurt cable ratings in Round One in the USA.
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017/04 ... ian-teams/

I notice they've been using TSN's Chris Cuthbert for the Leafs-Caps series on NBCSN.
Last edited by TravelPat1 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All-Star
 
Posts: 2943
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:07 pm

Re: CFL (and other sports) TV Ratings 2016

by KevinRiley2 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:58 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:I notice they've been using TSN's Chris Cuthbert for that series on NBCSN.

Why do so many play-by-play men have such high voices?
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8643
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: CFL (and other sports) TV Ratings 2016

by TravelPat1 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:27 pm

No Canadian numbers from the last few days but last night's Caps - Leafs Game 6 apparently drew the highest overnight rating ever for a non Game 7 first round game on NBCSN south of the border.

FYI - those watching that game on NBCSN had TSN duo Gord Miller and Ray Ferraro calling the game. They did most of the Leafs regional games on TSN4 this season).
All-Star
 
Posts: 2943
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:07 pm

Re: CFL (and other sports) TV Ratings 2016

by Lyle B. Style » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:27 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
TravelPat1 wrote:I notice they've been using TSN's Chris Cuthbert for that series on NBCSN.

Why do so many play-by-play men have such high voices?


Chris Cuthbert's history with the Vienna Boys Choir should indicate something. Despite his very high voice (nowhere to go when something crazy or exciting goes) he's an efficient and reliable play-by-play performer who could have easily written his own ticket on Sportsnet/CBC when they elbowed out TSN for the coverage.

The other factor is Sportsnet's directors might have ruled Cuthbert out as a multi-use PBP announcer on the basis of his voice - also he's around 60 - but so what - Bob Cole is approaching 85 and often loses sight of the action!

If you listen occasionally on various sports radio shows most of the bass-voiced hockey announcers are the local radio guy. . . . . . and their job is to shill hard for the local charges. In Winnipeg they replaced an old Edmonton dud named Brian Munz who was efficient but dry as 4,000 year old papyrus w/ a local minor league baseball guy named Paul Edwards - who literally goes nuts when the Jets score - or more rarely WIN a game. I'm told both Edwards & Munz have applied for the Las Vegas TV pbp - can't say I blame them - Edwards is around 50 and will be out of a job if TSN loses their regional hockey rights in a couple years - same with Munz. The TV guy is Dennis Beyak, a 70+ yr old broadcast vet who's probably ready to be put out to pasture. Munz is a hard worker and really detailed but his presentation is dull. Edwards is only 47/48 and could have a nice career in Vegas should he be able to make the grade.

But, yeah, radio guys tend to have the Balls Mahoney bass in their voice while TV guys are culled from more of a looks before talent assessment.

In the CFL we've got Cuthbert, who's not really nutted into the football mythology and his color guy who's more interested in padding his pockets.

After Hi-Pitch Chris we've got the abominable Rod Black who has wrestling announcer pipes but could easily be labelled a guy with a million dollar voice and a 10 cent mind.

Mark Lee, who's occasionally shaky on calls is far more earnest and thoughtfull than Brainless Black but still around Division 3 NCAA or even Hi-School level quality. TSN will never do anything about Black because he's a house announcer who works cheap and has been doing the same godforsaken job for the better part of 15 years. TSN can plug in this idiot to variety of venues and pass it off as acceptable broadcasting - IT ISN'T btw. :cowboy:
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:35 pm

PreviousNext

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests