CFL (and other sports) TV Ratings 2016

Re: CFL (and other sports) TV Ratings 2016

by TravelPat1 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:42 pm

The English Supe Bowl ratings took a 39% drop on CTV/TSN - with the game on Fox. On RDS record ratings of over a million.

The 1,010,000 average on RDS topped the Grey Cup by about 300% (the Grey Cup averaged 254,000 on RDS.)

Bell Media reported an average of 4.47 million in English on CTV/TSN/CTV2 down from over 7 million last year. I suspect they lost at least 3 million to Fox.
All-Star

by ArgoT » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:46 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:The English Supe Bowl ratings took a 39% drop on CTV/TSN - with the game on Fox. On RDS record ratings of over a million.

The 1,010,000 average on RDS topped the Grey Cup by about 300% (the Grey Cup averaged 254,000 on RDS.)

Bell Media reported an average of 4.47 million in English on CTV/TSN/CTV2 down from over 7 million last year. I suspect they lost at least 3 million to Fox.

If the GC ratings have declined why not the SB, as your conclusion makes no sense.
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:27 pm

ArgoT wrote:
TravelPat1 wrote:The English Supe Bowl ratings took a 39% drop on CTV/TSN - with the game on Fox. On RDS record ratings of over a million.

If the GC ratings have declined why not the SB, as your conclusion makes no sense.

Hmm - ratings up on RDS - a record high - ratings up in the USA - and yet you say stating ratings might also have been up in English Canada 'makes no sense'? Interesting.
All-Star

by RBFan2014 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:15 am

Everyone I spoke to watched the SB on Fox for the novelty of the commercials.

This is not a new phenomenon, in past years we probably didn't have the accurate numbers since they do not count people watching on the US Network from Canada. Up until a few years ago, you used to be able to watch the "west" feed and it would give you the US commercials, not even counting the millions of Canadians close enough to the border to watch it over the air. The last few years Canadians have even been streaming the US feed.
Rookie

by Tridus » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:21 am

ArgoT wrote:

You think the ratings declined 39% in English Canada and literally nowhere else, when English Canadians were given the option to watch the Fox broadcast (ratings for which aren't publicly available in Canada)? A 39% drop would be almost unprecedented.

CTV's ratings were down 39%. Considering that Pizza Pizza bought air time on Fox Buffalo to show ads (and has no US presence), it's pretty clear where that audience went. Plus, with all the confusion and complaints this year from people who thought they'd get the US broadcast on CTV and didn't know they had to tune to Fox, you can expect the exodus to be bigger next year.
All-Star

by Mr. Pike » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:06 pm

The last post of ratings for anything was Feb 7th , why no ratings recently for MLS or NHL or NBA , Brier , Scotties , BJ preseason .........Travelpat , do you know ??
All-Star

by Aerial » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:34 pm

At some point when more and more people cut the old cable cord where it really makes a difference, TV ratings will not matter much. Not there yet but that day is coming absolutely no question in my mind.
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
All-Star

by BigJoeM » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:33 pm

Aerial wrote:At some point when more and more people cut the old cable cord where it really makes a difference, TV ratings will not matter much. Not there yet but that day is coming absolutely no question in my mind.

It's coming for sure if they had the CFL on a internet stream platform only I would ditch cable completely . I actually get rid of it for months in the winter and use free TV over the air , Netflix , crave TV , internet TV many stations like CTV let you watch for free etc ...You Tube is amazing and it is the biggest thing I watch now Love it ; so I don't miss it . When the spring comes hook up sat and I will watch the nhl play offs , GOT and the CFL .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by drummer_god » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:50 pm

Cable is superior to Internet streaming, especially for sports. Too often while watching shows/movies/sports on a webstreaming service does the quality drop off to a grainy picture for a minute or two multiple times, freeze, etc.
I'd rather pay for consistency in quality.
I have Rogers game centre live and watching games on my PS3 is unbearable. I will likely pay the $210 for the centre ice package next season to get the same access I have now for free.
Hall of Famer

by Xvys » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:11 pm

Mr. Pike wrote:The last post of ratings for anything was Feb 7th , why no ratings recently for MLS or NHL or NBA , Brier , Scotties , BJ preseason .........Travelpat , do you know ??

Travelpat probably knows but I believe the main source of TV ratings was Chris Zelkovich who published weekly sports ratings on Yahoo Sports Canada website.

With the recent termination of Andrew Buckholtz, I believe YSC is basically mothballed, which is not surprising considering YSC was not even listed in the index of the main Yahoo site, nor was any Canadian sport. It's pretty hard to promote a sports website when nobody knows how to find it or that it even exists. I suspect CZ may have suffered a similar fate when his TV ratings column ceased publishing starting last Nov.

I don't know of any other consistent source of Canadian sports ratings? Perhaps the mega-corps aren't fans of publishing ratings because Canadian's don't really need to know these facts. The mainstream media may instead tell us what is popular and what we should be watching and purchasing.
All-Star

by Paolo X » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:34 am

Xvys wrote:
Mr. Pike wrote:The last post of ratings for anything was Feb 7th , why no ratings recently for MLS or NHL or NBA , Brier , Scotties , BJ preseason .........Travelpat , do you know ??

Perhaps the mega-corps aren't fans of publishing ratings because Canadian's don't really need to know these facts. The mainstream media may instead tell us what is popular and what we should be watching and purchasing.

That's true everywhere in the world with the mainstream media, and the sheeple usually flock. Yahoo! has sucked for such a long time that I am amazed that it is still a company. Part of the story there is that one of its founders had refused on more than one occasion to cash out.
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:51 pm

Yup Xvys explanation is spot on. Yahoo Sports Canada seems to be cutting back and Zelkovich - who used to do the sports ratings report for the Toronto Star before he moved to Yahoo sports was the only regular and reliable source for Canadian sports ratings on a weekly basis.

So unless somebody steps up in the next few months - we are likely going to be in the dark for CFL ratings this year.
All-Star

by Paolo X » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:05 am

drummer_god wrote:Cable is superior to Internet streaming, especially for sports. Too often while watching shows/movies/sports on a webstreaming service does the quality drop off to a grainy picture for a minute or two multiple times, freeze, etc.
I'd rather pay for consistency in quality.
I have Rogers game centre live and watching games on my PS3 is unbearable. I will likely pay the $210 for the centre ice package next season to get the same access I have now for free.

Spot on there - insert any given reasonable amount for any given sport or movie library, and the big media firms would generate revenue in heavy volume from those who would pay as would you. But but but - greed and they just have to try to gouge everyone per game or with higher prices for some "package" or charge extra for the "sports package" on top of a bloated bundle, which is laughable given that such an addition is almost pure profit.

Greed is the core reason the overpriced cable bundle died about 2010 when for the first time ever, in the grips of the Great Recession in the US, cable and satellite subscriptions went down for the year. People were given the greatest incentives to cut the cord when the entire industry did not adapt. The streak continued through at least 2015 and likely was the case in 2016, but now at least in the US not sure if there in Canada, skinny bundles (Sling TV, Sony Vue, Direct TV Now) are available for far less much as they could have been several years ago.
All-Star

by Argofan_1000 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:02 am

TravelPat1 wrote:Yup Xvys explanation is spot on. Yahoo Sports Canada seems to be cutting back and Zelkovich - who used to do the sports ratings report for the Toronto Star before he moved to Yahoo sports was the only regular and reliable source for Canadian sports ratings on a weekly basis.

So unless somebody steps up in the next few months - we are likely going to be in the dark for CFL ratings this year.

Paulo Senra from the CFL office posts ratings on twitter. If Chris doesn't do it then I am sure Paulo will. This was last weekends ratings before the playoffs. TFC I don't think they are doing very well in the beginning of the season or Paulo would publish it

Paulo Senra‏ Apr 11

Past weekend's avg sports ratings: Leafs/Pens 1.8M, Masters 1.3M, Curling Final 1M, Jays/Rays 735K, Raps/Knicks 164K
Veteran

by TravelPat1 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:53 pm

With it being a long weekend limited ratings up here so far for the Stanley Cup playoffs-.. The only thing I saw is that the total reach of all games on Sportsnet, CBC and TVA on Night 1 (Wednesday - which featured Bruins-Sens, Rangers-Habs and Sharks-Oilers) was a total reach of 10.9 million Canadians. Almost 1/3 of the country.

In the USA some numbers from cable (keep in mind local markets in the USA still get their local cable regional broadcast and the NBCSN/CNBC/USA Network telecast to choose from in the first round. So these national numbers is likely missing a lot of local fans for these teams who watched their local crews.

Preds - Hawks - 769,000 (NBCSN)
Flames - Ducks - 445,000 (NBCSN)
Leafs - Caps - 628,000 (USA Network) (Highest ever rating for a first round game on that network)
All-Star

PreviousNext