American politics

American politics

by TravelPatB » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:21 am

Two things jump out at me the last few weeks in the LONG US President 2016 election campaign.

Incredible that in some States Republican Primary Primary polls Trump actually leads. This Kiwi's views match mine.

And on the Democrat side - I'm assuming ultimately Hillary will win - but it is good to see Bernie Sanders' campaign gaining a little traction and his worthy message some exposure. Some polls have him up to 29% support with Hillary still up near 50% among likely Democrat primary voters.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/08/19 ... een-video/
All-Star

Re: American politics

by greenandwhite » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:21 pm

Trump is liked because he is a celebrity. Much the same as when Swartznegger got in in California.

Hilary is a symbol of everything wrong with American politics
All-Star

by TravelPatB » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:42 am

Trump drew over 20,000 to a campaign rally in Mobile, Alabama yesterday where he gave an anti-immigration speech and talked about the need to build a wall. 'White Power' shouts were heard from the crowd.

The Republican Party is scary right now.
All-Star

by dawg eats kitty » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:48 am

Gimme a break ...
White power shouts? I doubt it

Pat i figured youd be smarter than that
ImageImageImageImage
Veteran

by TravelPatB » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:37 pm

Numerous posts about it this morning on American friends Facebook pages expressing disgust that it happened and Trumps campaign manager had to respond to it on CNN this morning.

http://www.occupydemocrats.com/watch-do ... -at-rally/

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2015 ... erview.cnn

I guess my smartness is still intact.
All-Star

by KevinRiley » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:50 pm

I like Trump. He's honest and doesn't need a bunch of helpers telling him how to respond. Would I vote for him? Not so sure...
All-Star

by dawg eats kitty » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:06 pm

You really think a few define a whole political party?

Your first article said "one man" was heard saying it.. I watched it live was no hint or mention of it at all. So no not the whole party. Like i said i took you for smarter than that and being able to see through the BS ...its bs news trying to make him look bad

And whats wrong with trying to get illegal immigration under control?
ImageImageImageImage
Veteran

by TravelPatB » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:18 pm

Have you listened to some of his racist campaign comments recenty Kevin? Comments that have him attracting such a rabid anti-immigration crowd. Comments that have resulted in corporations and TV networks like NBC pulling out from any Trump related product or project?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... ntial.html

“At NBC, respect and dignity for all people are cornerstones of our values,” the company said in a statement on Monday. “Due to the recent derogatory statements by Donald Trump regarding immigrants, NBC is ending its business relationship with Mr. Trump.”

Last week, Univision decided to end its relationship with Trump by dropping his Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants, and now NBC has followed suit. The move comes after a Change.org petition asking NBC to get rid of Trump garnered more than 200,000 signatures. Trump has said he would sue Univision and has now seemingly threatened to sue NBC, saying that “their contract violating closure of Miss Universe/Miss USA will be determined in court."

And that this man is a frontrunner among Republicans in some states I find to be sad and disturbing. Right up there with the racist signs about Obama that you see at a number of the Tea Party wing of the Republican PArty events.

Some of the things he said..

When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.

they're really bad," he said. "You have people coming in, and I'm not just saying Mexicans, I'm talking about people that are from all over that are killers and rapists and they're coming into this country.”

When asked why he was painting the 11 million undocumented immigrants in this country with such a broad brush when the number of rapists and criminals in that group was a small percentage, Trump responded, “I don’t think it’s a small percentage, it’s a lot.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015 ... xico-rapes

Donald Trump doubled down on his claim that Mexican immigrants are responsible for a large number of rapes in the US on Wednesday. “Who’s doing the raping,” Trump shot back in an interview when challenged on his controversial remarks.

The businessman and would-be president, who launched his presidential campaign with an attack on Mexican immigrants as drug dealers, criminals and rapists, has claimed that there is “mind-boggling” link between rape and illegal immigration.

“If you look at the statistics of people coming, you look at the statistics on rape, on crime, on everything coming in illegally into this country it’s mind-boggling!” he said in an interview with CNN on Wednesday night.

Trump, who has already sparked a minor diplomatic incident and lost business deals with five companies over his remarks about Mexicans, claimed that statistics show that Latino immigrants are more likely to perpetrate rape than the wider population. However, the Fusion article he referred to said 80% of women crossing the Mexican border are raped along the way, often by criminal gangs, traffickers or corrupt officials.

When CNN host Don Lemon pointed out that Trump had misread the article, the former Apprentice host said: “Well, somebody’s doing the raping, Don! I mean somebody’s doing it! Who’s doing the raping? Who’s doing the raping?”

There are no centrally recorded government statistics on the ethnicity of convicted rapists in the US.

Department store Macy’s on Wednesday became the fifth big company to have ended partnerships with Trump following his attack on Mexico for “sending people [to the US] that have lots of problems. They are bringing drugs, and bringing crime, and their rapists.”

TV networks NBC Universal, Grupo Televisa, Ora TV and Univision have already cut ties with Trump and the Miss Universe contest, which he part-owns. Mexico is refusing to send a contestant to Miss Universe this year because of the row.

“We are disappointed and distressed by recent remarks about immigrants from Mexico. We do not believe the disparaging characterizations portray an accurate picture of the many Mexicans, Mexican Americans and Latinos who have made so many valuable contributions to the success of our nation,” Macy’s said.

Televisa, Mexico’s largest television network, said Trump has “offended the entire Mexican population” and Ora, which is owned by the world’s second-richest man, Carlos Slim, described Trump’s comments as “racist”.
All-Star

by MadJack » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:25 pm

TravelPatB wrote:that this man is a frontrunner among Republicans in some states I find to be sad and disturbing.

You and me both, Pat.

Truly sad and disturbing that the party that produced Abraham Lincoln, Barry Goldwater, and Ronald Reagan, could even consider this guy for any kind of leadership role.

Mind you, if they could swallow Sarah Palin I guess they can sink this low.
Hall of Famer

by KevinRiley » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:25 pm

TravelPatB wrote:Have you listened to some of his racist campaign comments recenty Kevin? Comments that have him attracting such a rabid anti-immigration crowd. Comments that have resulted in corporations and TV networks like NBC pulling out from any Trump related product or project?

I still like him. I would prefer the occasional slip-up to someone like Clinton who can't scratch her nose without checking with opinion polls. Trump will never win the Presidential election so it's a moot point. Until then, I'm enjoying the ride.
All-Star

by TravelPatB » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:27 pm

But Kevin - what he is saying is racist garbage - how on earth can you 'like' that? Editted to add that there have been a few attacks on immigrants where those doing the attacking said things like 'Trump is right' as they do the beating.

As a gay man who has had way too many friends gay bashed with people doing the bashing quoting anti-gay spokespeople during their attack I know VERY well that you MUST challenge and totally debunk the racist comments and FULLY condemn those making them.

They are dangerous comments.
All-Star

by KevinRiley » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:33 pm

TravelPatB wrote:But Kevin - what he is saying is racist garbage - how on earth can you 'like' that?

I don't believe he's racist. His comments are just slip-ups that come from not having speech writers.

For decades, people have said, "I wish we could vote for a real person and not someone who is afraid to say anything that is off script". A perfect example... Hilary Clinton was asked who does the best SNL impression of her. She refused to answer. That's insane!!!

People who have been hoping for someone like Trump finally have their prayers answered. I can't fault them for enjoying the ride.
All-Star

by TravelPatB » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:37 pm

'Slip-ups' - are you kidding me. Are you really that naive?

He's been given numerous opportunities to correct his 'slip-ups' and instead has chosen to repeat them over and over again. It is clealy a deliberate appeal to the anti-immigration and racist element that makes up a sizeable active section of the Republican Party today.
All-Star

by KevinRiley » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:41 pm

TravelPatB wrote:'Slip-ups' - are you kidding me. Are you really that naive?

He's been given numerous opportunities to correct his 'slip-ups' and instead has chosen to repeat them over and over again. It is clealy a deliberate appeal to the anti-immigration and racist element that makes up a sizeable active section of the Republican Party today.

I'm not naïve, Pat. :)

I don't believe he's racist. He's not politically correct but he's not racist. It doesn't matter since I am not American and can't vote - I would vote Democrat if I could. If liking him makes me a bad person, I guess I'm a bad person.
All-Star

by TravelPatB » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:05 pm

Kevin I don't know if he is actually racist or not. I do know that he has deliberately given his campaign a racist edge. And he's a smart man - so I'm quite certain it is deliberate. And because of that I consider him dangerous.

I came across this today.

I suppose some might disagree with the characterization of Obama - I happen to agree with it. But I think anybody would be hardpressed to disagree with any of the rest of it. The USA rght now is dysfunctional and many there behave in an irrational manner appealing to the lowest mindset. Heck - just checkout Trump's campaign for a perfect example of that.
Last edited by TravelPatB on Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
All-Star

Next