Movie Reviews

Re: Movie Reviews

by KevinRiley2 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:28 am

Coming out Friday July 14th. Reviews have been terrific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KWAxBlZKMA
Last edited by KevinRiley2 on Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:14 am, edited 10 times in total.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:32 am

The Age Of Shadows (2016) :

I'm using Wiki to provide a plot summary for The Age Of Shadows because it's a little confusing for a Caucasian (me) who has trouble distinguishing between people of Japanese and Korean origin...

Plot (as per Wiki) : "A Korean police captain named Lee Jung-chool (Song Kang-ho) has been charged with rooting out members of his country’s resistance movement by his cruel Japanese overlords. But while Lee has a history of selling out his own people to secure a favorable position with the Japanese, he’s been hit harder than usual by the death of Kim Jan-ok (Park Hee-soon), a resistance fighter who used to be his classmate. The leader of the resistance, Che-san (Lee Byung-hun), senses that this turncoat, if approached and handled properly, might be turned once more — this time in their favor. And so begins an incremental, ingeniously coded psychological dance between Lee and a key resistance figure named Kim Woo-jin (Gong Yoo), whose antique shop is a front for a scheme to smuggle explosives from Shanghai into Seoul. While Lee could theoretically bring down this operation at any moment, he seems just as likely to become an ally, thanks in no small part to Kim’s skillful application of pressure."

While the story's depth is a little overwhelming, the look, the acting, and what the director accomplished on a budget of less than $7 million USD, is amazing and The Age Of Shadows is easily one of the best and most suspenseful movies of 2016.

I am falling in love with Korean cinema!

7.5/10

Spoken languages are Korean and Japanese with English subtitles.

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoYsQcGV4b4

Last edited by KevinRiley2 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:29 pm

47 Meters Down (2017) :

Kate and her sister Lisa are in Mexico on vacation. They get into a shark cage in the hope of having a once in a lifetime experience. The cage falls, the sharks circle, and the sisters do their best to survive.

47 Meters Down has a straight forward plot - there are no evil captains or crazy locals trying to do the girls harm. It is what it is : a hokey summer action movie, silly but intense. It may not be Jaws, but that doesn't mean it's not a lot of fun.

7/10

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddYSGGJAKOk

Last edited by KevinRiley2 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:02 am

You Get Me (2017) :

Tyler (Taylor John Smith - think of a young, less handsome, Paul Newman) hooks up with the beautiful/sexy Holly (Bella Thorne), while on a break from his girlfriend Ali (Halston Sage). Unfortunately, Holly is crazy and things get ugly when Tyler and Ali reunite.

You Get Me is a high school version of Fatal Attraction.

A Netflix Original that's really, really bad.

1/10

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-LjZYvJ0Zg

All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:03 am

KevinRiley2 wrote:The Age Of Shadows (2016) :

I'm using Wiki to provide a plot summary for The Age Of Shadows because it's a little confusing for a Caucasian (me) who has trouble distinguishing between people of Japanese and Korean origin...

Plot (as per Wiki) : "A Korean police captain named Lee Jung-chool (Song Kang-ho) has been charged with rooting out members of his country’s resistance movement by his cruel Japanese overlords. But while Lee has a history of selling out his own people to secure a favorable position with the Japanese, he’s been hit harder than usual by the death of Kim Jan-ok (Park Hee-soon), a resistance fighter who used to be his classmate. The leader of the resistance, Che-san (Lee Byung-hun), senses that this turncoat, if approached and handled properly, might be turned once more — this time in their favor. And so begins an incremental, ingeniously coded psychological dance between Lee and a key resistance figure named Kim Woo-jin (Gong Yoo), whose antique shop is a front for a scheme to smuggle explosives from Shanghai into Seoul. While Lee could theoretically bring down this operation at any moment, he seems just as likely to become an ally, thanks in no small part to Kim’s skillful application of pressure."

While the story's depth is a little overwhelming, the look, the acting, and what the director accomplished on a budget of less than $7 million USD, is amazing and The Age Of Shadows is easily one of the best and most suspenseful movies of 2016.

I am falling in love with Korean cinema!

7.5/10

Spoken languages are Korean and Japanese with English subtitles.

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoYsQcGV4b4

I haven't seen this one yet will have to check it out.

You know, there's a Korean Film Festival in Toronto each year. I meant to go this year (think it was last week or 2 weeks ago), but just didn't have time.

Have you seen Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter . . . and Spring? It's a good one if you can find it. The Bow, by the same directorKim Ki Duk, is also good.

I'll also recommend Crying Fist, partly because I got to see one of he outdoor fight scenes being filmed in front of the restaurant I was having lunch in one day. :)
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:27 pm

PTBO Dave wrote:I haven't seen this one yet will have to check it out.

You know, there's a Korean Film Festival in Toronto each year. I meant to go this year (think it was last week or 2 weeks ago), but just didn't have time.

Have you seen Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter . . . and Spring? It's a good one if you can find it. The Bow, by the same directorKim Ki Duk, is also good.

I'll also recommend Crying Fist, partly because I got to see one of he outdoor fight scenes being filmed in front of the restaurant I was having lunch in one day. :)

Thanks! I have not seen any of the 3 you mentioned so I will check them out!

I have been TRYING to find The Truth Beneath but all the online versions have terrible subtitle translations and, 20 minutes in, I had NO idea what was going on.
Last edited by KevinRiley2 on Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:27 pm

Okja (2017) :

I was starting to think that Korean film makers could do no wrong. Then I saw Okja...

A Korean girl has raised a genetically modified pig for 10 years. She believes she'll be able keep the enormous animal, which looks more like a dog than a hog, but her grandfather betrays her. A food company takes the pig and Mija does everything she can to save her friend.

The first hour of Okja is cute. There is some unnecessary swearing and crude humour but, for the most part, it’s enjoyable and funny.

The second hour is awful - it’s too dark for kids and too stupid for adults. There is also an ‘animal rights’ message, but it gets lost along the way.

Director Bong Joon Ho swung for the fences with the highly unusual, but spectacular, Snowpiercer - review below. He tried again with Okja but, contrary to what critics are saying, the movie is just well meaning trash.

3/10

Languages are Korean and English. Subtitled.

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjCebKn4iic

KevinRiley2 wrote:Snowpiercer (2013) :

Because I'm having difficulty describing the plot, I'll quote Wiki :

"In 2014, an attempt to counteract global warming through climate engineering backfires catastrophically, unintentionally causing an ice age that extinguishes all life except the inhabitants of the Snowpiercer, a massive train powered by a perpetual motion engine that travels a circumnavigational track, created by the transportation magnate Wilford."

In the back of the train are the "scum" who rise up. They attack the elites and work their way to the front of the train. What follows is a cross between the movies 300 and Brazil.

I am not a Science Fiction fan but Snowpiercer is terrific! Even at 2+ hours, it zooms by and stays with you long after it's over. I know it won't be for everyone (it's odd and unrealistic), but I can't recommend this English/South Korean movie enough.

8/10

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX5PwfEMBM0

All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:05 am

Mother (Madeo) (2009) :

Being a movie lover, I've watched hundreds, if not thousands of movies and it takes a mini miracle to shock me. That why movies like South Korea's Mother (Madeo) are such a treat.

The Mother in the title is Kim Hye-ja - an unnamed widow, whose son is mentally challenged. Her son, Do-joon (played by Won Bin), is in his mid 30's and always getting himself into trouble. She is overprotective, to put it mildly, because he is the only reason she breathes.

One day, he is charged with the murder of a young prostitute. He says he didn't do it, and his mother believes him, but everyone else thinks he's guilty. So his mother makes it her mission to find the real killer and, in the process, she discovers a few things about herself.

The acting in Mother is fantastic. The movie was directed by Lee Byung-woo, who followed up with the amazing Snowpiercer and the awful Okja. Mother is a wonderful character study and a terrific 'Who Done It'.

Simply put : Even if you hate foreign films and subtitles, watch Mother because movies are rarely this good!

9/10

Language : Korean with English Subtitles.

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oBwQHWeYxo

All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:58 am

Snowden (2016) :

Over directed (Oliver Stone), over acted, preachy and, at times, boring - shocking, considering the subject matter. The movie is fine, but much better is the documentary Citizen Four, where we actually watch Snowden, in real time, commit treason.

5/10

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlSAiI3xMh4

KevinRiley2 wrote:Citizenfour (2014) :

Rather than see the movie Snowden, now in theaters, I re-watched the documentary Citizenfour, which follows real life Edward Snowden to Hong Kong, and then to Moscow, as he reveals the depth of spying done by the NSA on U.S. and world citizens alike. The intrusion is shocking and this doc has more of a horror movie feel than a spy thriller.

Like the Rubiks Cube he carries, the real puzzle is Snoden himself. Snoden is part narcissist, part patriot, part libertarian and part paranoid nut. And, once he starts the ball rolling, there is no un-ringing this bell and we are left wondering if he regrets his decision. I think he does. He is also a hypocrite, embracing his protector, Vladimir Putin, who is no saint when it comes to human/privacy rights.

One of the better documentaries I've seen and an Academy Award winner.

9/10

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ADUs8iN7NE

Full Movie :
http://documentary-movie.com/citizenfour/

All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:50 pm

Baby Driver (2017) :

Grading Baby Driver. Each "*" scores up to 1 point. 10 (out of 10) possible points :

* Acting : Kevin Spacey and Jamie Fox are terrific. Everyone else is fine. (+1)
* Action : Senseless violence. A Fast And The Furious clone. Yawn. (+ 0.5)
* Direction : Nothing special. (+ 0.5)
* Length : The movie is 30 minutes too long. (+0)
* Music : The best song is a Kevin Spacey rap mix. :roll: (+0)
* Sex Appeal : None. (+0)
* Story : Baby Driver is just plain stupid. (+0)
* Style : Is there such a thing as too much style? After seeing B.D., I would say Yes! (+1)
* Substance : It's ALL style, NO substance. (+0)
* Writing : The dialogue is clever and more interesting than the car chases. (+1)

Add it up... 4/10

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9YZw_X5UzQ

All-Star

by oo DAWG oo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:38 pm

What's with all the korean movies kevin?

I tried 3 times last night to watch Kong Skull Island.
But I kept getting interupted got about 40 minutes into it but from what I saw it was good. I want to go back and watch the rest but will have to wait until wed or thurs when I know I'll get to watch it in peace.
It did not seem like just another redo of the original movie which I liked so far a thumbs up
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:40 pm

oo DAWG oo wrote:What's with all the korean movies kevin?

But I kept getting interupted got about 40 minutes into it but from what I saw it was good. I want to go back and watch the rest but will have to wait until wed or thurs when I know I'll get to watch it in peace.
It did not seem like just another redo of the original movie which I liked so far a thumbs up

Korean movies are terrific! Such a smart, talented people.

I'll have to wait until Kong comes to Netflix. Keep me updated, please.
All-Star

by oo DAWG oo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:13 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
oo DAWG oo wrote:What's with all the korean movies kevin?

Korean movies are terrific! Such a smart, talented people.

I'll have to wait until Kong comes to Netflix. Keep me updated, please.

I will...
I tend to dislike subtitles. I don't mind if its a brief moment in the film especially if its a bad translation.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:20 pm

oo DAWG oo wrote:I tend to dislike subtitles. I don't mind if its a brief moment in the film especially if its a bad translation.

I put the subtitles 'on', even with English films. I prefer it. At my age, my hearing is not what it should be and like to both read and hear what is being said.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:29 am

Memories Of Murder (2003) :

A serial killer is murdering young girls in a small Korean town in the mid 1980's. An officer from Seoul joins the local (Keystone) cops to help solve the mystery. Not only are the local cops incompetent, they also torture suspects, which Director Bong Joon-ho somehow makes funny, and their incompetence / frustration rubs off on the Seoul detective until he's ready to explode.

Memories Of Murder is a funny, smart, tense thriller. If I wasn't laughing, I was on the edge of my seat, waiting for the case to be solved. The movie is 2 hours and 10 minutes, but the run time did not seem excessive. In fact, I wanted more.

M.O.M. is based on a true story and is available, for free, on YouTube. :rockin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPulMheOLJM

8/10

Language : Korean with English Subtitles.

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4y7W3ON0OI

Last edited by KevinRiley2 on Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
All-Star

PreviousNext