Movie Reviews

Re: Movie Reviews

by KevinRiley2 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:00 am

Sadly, this summer will be filled with garbage like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK6gcQuJ6LM
Last edited by KevinRiley2 on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All-Star

by beaglehound » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:42 am

The Marine (2006) :

Okay.... Another garden variety muscle hero type rescues the damsel in distress similar to Jean-Claude Van Damme, Schwarzenegger, Stallone and The Rock Dwayne Johnson movies only this time the buffed muscle guy is WWE wrestler John Cena. I'm not a fan of Cena's and in fact I didn't even recognize the name.

The movie is about a discharged soldier (John Cena) who returns home from Iraq and finds that his wife (Kelly Carlson) has been kidnapped by a gang of murderous jewel thieves led by none other than Robert Patrick. Now that is one character actor I'm beginning to enjoy watching. Soldier John Triton must use all his military skills to rescue his wife from her ruthless captors. How do you think the movie ends? :lol:
I'm not a big fan of Cena but his acting was decent. Though he was the lead actor I got a bigger kick out of Patrick.

The movie was over the top with pyrotechnics; explosions galore if you get off on that sort of thing. I don't and I grew tired of scene after scene. However, I must congratulate the special effects people for creating some incredible footage. Having said that there was one sequence where I thought it was overkill and that there was no way a vehicle, any vehicle could survive so many bullet holes, lose so many vehicle parts and still be able to be driven.

The movie when it came to special effects gave a whole new meaning to the phrases overkill and exaggeration. After awhile I actually thought the overkill was intentional and that I was watching a parody of an action movie. I guess it was suppose to have a tongue in cheek flavour about it.

I enjoyed the movie for the most part but found certain parts boring. It had its comical moments and comical lines which kept me interested. Of course you have to have my sense of humour to appreciate the comedy.

I will say one thing about this movie that I simply loved. There were two scenes in the movie that were to die for. One was visual and the other was accompanied by special audio. The two scenes actually played on two other movies I'd seen several years ago and the use of those previous movies was brilliant! I cannot tell you or even give a hint because I would take something away from those who discover what I'm referring to on their own. However, what I can tell you is that if you did not watch the other two movies you will not get these particular brief scenes. I'm sure anyone who watches this movie will have watched the other two movies a number of years ago so I think you'll know what I'm talking about. Clever? No, brilliant!

Though I had seen this movie back when it came out I'd forgotten about this cleverness in what the director had done. When I saw these brief scenes both my wife and I laughed our heads off, they were that good.

The plot was standard with few surprises. You knew what was going to happen. You just didn't know how and that made it worthwhile watching. The special effects were very good but it was overkill. There were scenes that were unpredictable which I always like. The acting was "okay". I enjoyed Robert Patrick the most. I loved the two short scenes in the movie the best.

I wouldn't knock yourself out trying to find the movie but if it comes up again and you like the idea of a U.S. marine who appears to be invincible, indestructible and has the kind of physique that brings back memories of long ago have a look. You can always change the channel or delete it.

6/10
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:14 am

Look Who's Back (2015) :

It's 2014 and Adolf Hitler (Oliver Masucci in a mesmerizing performance) appears in downtown Berlin. He has no idea how he got there and, over the next hour, we have a Borat-esque comedy about a Führer Out Of Water.

In hour 2, the comedy gets darker as Hitler adapts to the modern world and, slowly but surely, finds Followers, Likes, and Friends, on and off the internet. Minus the occasional hiccup (shooting a dog), people grow to love him and he finds a world he can cultivate/manipulate/lead.

L.W.B is not for everyone. It's funny and offensive, all while trying to communicate a message about hate and the hypnotic power of evil. It's also, at times, a chaotic mess - 116 minutes of thought provoking craziness. Still, I really liked Look Who`s Back because it made me laugh/think/wonder about the direction of today's world and whether a time with Trump/Putin/Kim Jong Un/Assad is all that different than it was 100 years ago.

7.5/10

In German with English Subtitles.

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtW1Lq5c04E
Last edited by KevinRiley2 on Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:13 am

April, at the theater, is void of anything worth watching. :thdn:
All-Star

by oo DAWG oo » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:52 am

KevinRiley2 wrote:April, at the theater, is void of anything worth watching. :thdn:

No movie is worth what they charge at the theatre....and no snack either for that matter
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:26 pm

oo DAWG oo wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:April, at the theater, is void of anything worth watching. :thdn:

No movie is worth what they charge at the theatre....and no snack either for that matter

You got that right.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:45 am

The Loft (2014) :

If I owned an apartment with friends, and we found a dead girl on the bed, the first thing I'd do is call the police. We all would. Well, all of us, minus the 5 sleazy dummies in the movie The Loft.

The Loft is an Agatha Christie-esque murder mystery. Unfortunately, unlike a quality thriller, nothing makes sense and no one acts the way a real person would.

Usually this would be a recipe for disaster. However, to my surprise, I didn't hate it. I accepted that it was stupid, that I couldn't give it too much thought (especially the ending, which I still don't understand), and it was written by people whose only goal was to mislead and surprise - logic and common sense be damned.

If you think too much, The Loft is, at best, a 1. But, if you can turn off your brain, lower your expectations to nil, you too might have a little fun and rate it a...
4/10

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bJZYqGfYGE
Last edited by KevinRiley2 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All-Star

by BigJoeM » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:37 am

Five came back 2017

Netflix documentary on the 5 directors like Frank Capra who enlisted and who made war docs for the public and the army is well worth viewing .

The times of the late 30's and early 40's will seem not so long ago when watching this doc . The inside information
gathered and personal reflections and the film work from that period is provocative and entertaining .

Netflix is also running the movie docs they made and worth the watch as they are so well done compared to the
fantasy world of movies and TV today .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by KevinRiley2 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:07 pm

There is NOTHING good playing - on Netflix or in the theater. :thdn:
All-Star

by BigJoeM » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:23 pm

I was looking for something to see . So we went to Ghost in the Shell.

It was not worth it unless you were bored . Bad casting , script , story and empathy for any character .

Watch it for the future tech and graphics but don't expect a compelling story .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by KevinRiley2 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:24 pm

BigJoeM wrote:I was looking for something to see . So we went to Ghost in the Shell.

It was not worth it unless you were bored . Bad casting , script , story and empathy for any character .

Did Scarlett look beautiful in that outfit?
All-Star

by BigJoeM » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:34 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
BigJoeM wrote:I was looking for something to see . So we went to Ghost in the Shell.

Oh yah she looked marvelous but if you ever watch it they made her walk like a man and go total butch . Yuk .
Veteran

by KevinRiley2 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:45 pm

BigJoeM wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:

Oh yah she looked marvelous but if you ever watch it they made her walk like a man and go total butch . Yuk .

:lol:

I noticed that in the trailer. She also walked the same way in Under The Skin. Maybe she's just not very lady like.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:20 pm

Movies I want to see this summer :

The Dark Tower
Detroit
Dunkirk
War Of The Planet Of The Apes
Alien Covenant
Guardians Of The Galaxy Volume 2

Yikes! It's a long summer and that's not much. Hopefully, there will be some surprise goodies.
All-Star

by beaglehound » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:27 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:Movies I want to see this summer :

The Dark Tower
Detroit
Dunkirk
War Of The Planet Of The Apes
Alien Covenant
Guardians Of The Galaxy Volume 2

Yikes! It's a long summer and that's not much. Hopefully, there will be some surprise goodies.

Kevin,

Aren't several of these of the Sci-Fi genre? I thought you had a serious dislike for Sci-Fi.
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
All-Star

PreviousNext