Movie Reviews

Re: Movie Reviews

by KevinRiley2 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:48 pm

beaglehound wrote:I asked her what she would give the movie out of 10.

What did she say?
BigJoeM wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:Nocturnal Animals (2016) :

Nocturnal Animals opens with a half dozen morbidly obese women dancing naked. It lasts for several minutes and we see every nook and cranny, scar and dimple. It is not a pleasant sight.

At first, I assumed these images were forced on the audience to contrast Amy Adams' beautiful face/body which dominate the next 2 hours. After the movie, I concluded it was just another over-the-top attempt to shock.

Just like the opening minutes, the rest of Nocturnal Animals is a mess...

Amy Adams plays a spoiled, rich woman who receives a copy of her ex-husband's (Jake Gyllenhaal) book. Her reading of the novel is juxtaposed against his trip to see her - during the drive, his car is ambushed and his wife and daughter are kidnapped/raped/killed. He, and a terrific Michael Shannon, track down the killers.

While the movie is well acted and the road trip is, at times, highly intense, Nocturnal Animals feels like a cheat - it has all the worst elements of David Lynch, with the odd visuals of 1970's European cinema. In the end, I felt like I just woke up from a bad dream that I shook off because it made no sense and wasn't worth giving a second thought.

3/10

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H1Ii1LjyFU

I agree with everything . Again the police with victim scenes are a little far fetched even if it was only meant as a metaphor . I give it a 6 out of 10 as I wanted to figure out the back story but the ending disappointed me .
I still don't get the opening unless we are being told they the large obese women are safe from the trauma that was going to happen in the novel . ???? Other than that I got nothin .

I forgot all about that nude scene. Thanks for reminding me (sarcasm alert). Thankfully, after 5 minutes of ugly nakedness, we get 2 hours of Amy Adam's beauty.

As for other story line...

As soon as the daughter of Jake Gyllenhaal's character said (paraphrasing), "I can't get any cell reception in this part of Texas", I knew where that part of the story was going. How a movie could be that predictable, yet all over the map, is beyond me.
All-Star

by beaglehound » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:45 pm

Kevin,

Re: The Judge

My wife gave it a 10 out of 10. :P
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:01 pm

beaglehound wrote:Kevin,

What the...

Here's 10 (out of 10) confused faces...

:?
All-Star

by beaglehound » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:54 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
beaglehound wrote:Kevin,

What the...

Here's 10 (out of 10) confused faces...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
All-Star

by beaglehound » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:04 pm

The Mountie (2011) :

With gorgeous cinematography, brisk pacing, well-orchestrated showdowns and no-nonsense storytelling, The Mountie delivers an entertaining slice of Canadian history that never feels like it's a patriotic duty to watch.

What grabbed my attention about this was that it was filmed in the Yukon, a place I love. The movie did not disappoint. The scenery was all Yukon! Simply beautiful.

The movie was violent, Sergio Leone violent but realism was not compromised. What I liked is that the hero was not your typical Hollywood version hero. Sometimes the Mountie got the cr** beat out of him which for me made the movie all the more credible.

The storyline was uncomplicated, the acting good, and the characterizations were convincing. I found the movie very entertaining and if giving the viewer a glimpse into what life in the late 1800s was like in this part of the world was the objective, besides entertainment, the movie succeeded.

I was left with one loose end which is why I'll give this movie a 9/10. [Be prepared Kevin my boy, that might change after I see the movie again] At the end of the movie I was not sure whether the fellow who had been hanged earlier [you don't see the actually hanging just the aftermath] was in fact unfairly executed. According to the "pastor" who explained to the mountie why the guy was hanged there was every reason to hang the guy but as the story unfolded and I learned more about characters, like the pastor for example, and what all was going on in the camp I couldn't help but wonder if there were a more sinister reason for the guy being hanged. I don't think we'll ever know...unless of course i missed something along the way.

9/10
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:22 pm

beaglehound wrote:9/10

As I live and breathe, I NEVER thought I'd see this day. :o :rockin:
All-Star

by beaglehound » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:29 pm

That is too funny Kevin! Thanks for the laugh. :thup:
All-Star

by BigJoeM » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:39 pm

The Last Kingdom : BBC 1 and Netflix . 2015 - 2017

I pretty good series for fans of Vikings and GOT . If you want to watch for free BBC1 there are free services on the net to watch . Netflix has staggered it out like a series because they co-produced with regular TV instead of giving it out all at once like they usually do .

Fair acting , good plot twists and violence of course .

Time well wasted .

Lastly watched Hell and High Water for a second time how this movie did not win Best Picture is a farce . I would have been happy with Hacksaw Ridge winning as well even if the true story was hokey but it was Beautiful story like Unbroken that doesn't make you feel anything until the end but what a tribute to a hero .Try not crying at the end of unbroken .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by KevinRiley2 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:08 pm

Life (2017) :

February and March are a bad time of the year for movies. Studios roll out their junk in the first quarter of the year. Life fits right in.

Six astronauts retrieve a living organism from Mars. At first it's cute and they're excited about their new discovery. Unfortunately, over time, it grows into a space octopus that is one part Alien, one part Terminator, and one part The Thing.

Instead of isolating their new "buddy", they do everything they can to make escaping easy and the destruction of the ship inevitable.

The ending twist is predicable and as stupid as the 103 minutes that proceeded it.

Woody Allen once said, "Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon."

The 2017 version of Life is full of plot holes, painful dialogue, and suffering by the audience - and it all lasts much too long.

3/10

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNrj70JTMUk

Last edited by KevinRiley2 on Fri May 19, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All-Star

by BigJoeM » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:34 pm

Ghost in the shell looks inviting .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by KevinRiley2 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:37 pm

BigJoeM wrote:Ghost in the Shell looks inviting .

Reviews say Ghost in the Shell is beautiful to look at but empty - a lot like Scarlett Johansson herself (joke).
All-Star

by BigJoeM » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:51 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
BigJoeM wrote:Ghost in the Shell looks inviting .

Reviews say Ghost in the Shell is beautiful to look at but empty - a lot like Scarlett Johansson herself (joke).

Agree :thup: That body suit !!!!! hokey Dinah but yep she's a little empty where they store the wiring .
Veteran

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:17 am

KevinRiley2 wrote:Life (2017) :

February and March are a bad time of the year for movies. Studios roll out their junk in the first quarter of the year. Life fits right in.

Six astronauts retrieve a living organism from Mars. At first it's cute and they're excited about their new discovery. Unfortunately, over time, it grows into a space octopus that is one part Alien, one part Terminator, and one part The Thing.

Instead of isolating their new "buddy", they do everything they can to make escaping easy and the destruction of the ship inevitable.

The ending twist is predicable and as stupid as the 103 minutes that proceeded it.

Woody Allen once said, "Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon."

The 2017 version of Life is full of plot holes, painful dialogue, and suffering by the audience - and it all lasts much too long.

3/10

Movie Trailer :

When Ryan Reynolds is in a movie, that is a pretty good indication it will suck! (the one exception is "Mississippi Grind".

Why Jake Gyllenhall is in this is a mystery. Did he need the money? :lol:
"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:30 am

Johnny Ticat slayer wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:Life (2017) :

3/10

Movie Trailer :

When Ryan Reynolds is in a movie, that is a pretty good indication it will suck! (the one exception is "Mississippi Grind".

Why Jake Gyllenhall is in this is a mystery. Did he need the money? :lol:

I don't know why JG was in it.

(*Spoiler Alert*) Ryan Reynolds dies early so... (*Spoiler Alert*)

Anyway, avoid at all costs.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:31 am

U.S.S. Indianapolis, Men Of Courage (2016) :

In the movie Jaws, Robert Shaw's character describes his ordeal on the U.S.S. Indianapolis...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9S41Kplsbs

The men who survived were left in the ocean, for 4 days, and suffered from exposure, dehydration, and shark attacks.

You'd assume there's a terrific movie in this tale, but U.S.S. Indianapolis, Men Of Courage isn't it. The dialogue makes you cringe, Nicolas Cage gives his usual horrible performance, and the special effects look like something out of Sharknado.

The critics ravaged this movie. Who am I to argue?

2.5/10

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSTC6nnbaRo

Last edited by KevinRiley2 on Fri May 19, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
All-Star

PreviousNext