Movie Reviews

Re: Movie Reviews

by PTBO Dave » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:36 am

KevinRiley2 wrote:Memories Of Murder (2003) :

A serial killer is murdering young girls in a small Korean town in the mid 1980's. An officer from Seoul joins the local (Keystone) cops to help solve the mystery. Not only are the local cops incompetent, they also torture the suspects, which Director Bong Joon-ho somehow makes funny, and their incompetence / frustration rubs off on the Seoul detective until he's ready to explode.

Memories Of Murder is a funny, smart, tense thriller. If I wasn't laughing, I was on the edge of my seat, waiting for the case to be solved. The movie is 2 hours and 10 minutes, but the run time did not seem excessive. In fact, I wanted more.

M.O.M. is based on a true story and it's available, for free, on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPulMheOLJM

8/10

Language : Korean with English Subtitles.

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4y7W3ON0OI

Image


This was one of (if not the) first Korean movies I watched, and it's one of the first Korean movies that was made with a budget and real expertise/professionalism. I think it was just a year or two before that the Korean government effected a CanCon-type quota regarding Korean movies being played in their theatres, and since then the quality of their movies really advanced.
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1626
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:17 am

Re: Movie Reviews

by KevinRiley2 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:23 am

PTBO Dave wrote:...and since then the quality of their movies really advanced.

I had no problem with the quality. While the movie didn`t look expensive, at no time did it looked cheap. It was terrific!

Discovering Korean cinema has been a blessing. It`s like finding a treasure trove of wonderful films I`ve never seen.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8643
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Movie Reviews

by PTBO Dave » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:58 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
PTBO Dave wrote:...and since then the quality of their movies really advanced.

I had no problem with the quality. While the movie didn`t look expensive, at no time did it looked cheap. It was terrific!

Discovering Korean cinema has been a blessing. It`s like finding a treasure trove of wonderful films I`ve never seen.


No, I meant that this was one of the first movies that looked top-notch quality. The Korean-content movie laws came in a few years before Memory of Murder was made, and after that law was effected, the quality really went up.
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1626
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:17 am

Re: Movie Reviews

by RedandWhite » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:34 pm

Image
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Site Staff
 
Posts: 15111
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:34 am
Location: Calgary

Re: Movie Reviews

by KevinRiley2 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:48 am

Wonder Woman (2017) :

After suffering through the other 2017 summer hit, Baby Driver, I was hoping Wonder Woman would restore my faith in Hollywood big budget movies. It didn't. Only the indescribably beautiful Gal Gadot provides a reason to watch but, at 141 minutes, even she's not enough.

The special effects look cheap. The acting and writing are bad. I had trouble staying awake. Thank God I didn't pay to watch it.

3/10

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSB4wGIdDwo

Image
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8643
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Movie Reviews

by oo DAWG oo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:18 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:Wonder Woman (2017) :

After suffering through the other 2017 summer hit, Baby Driver, I was hoping Wonder Woman would restore my faith in Hollywood big budget movies. It didn't. Only the indescribably beautiful Gal Gadot provides a reason to watch but, at 141 minutes, even she's not enough.

The special effects look cheap. The acting and writing are bad. I had trouble staying awake. Thank God I didn't pay to watch it.

3/10

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSB4wGIdDwo

Image

Hahaha all the womens groups are championing this movie...they are going to roast you
All-Star
 
Posts: 1900
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:44 am

Re: Movie Reviews

by KevinRiley2 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:26 pm

oo DAWG oo wrote:Hahaha all the womens groups are championing this movie...they are going to roast you

It's the reason it received so many positive reviews.

Having said that, I rarely like commercial movies, so I might be the wrong person to ask.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8643
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Movie Reviews

by oo DAWG oo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:43 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
oo DAWG oo wrote:Hahaha all the womens groups are championing this movie...they are going to roast you

It's the reason it received so many positive reviews.

Having said that, I rarely like commercial movies, so I might be the wrong person to ask.

Lately i generally dislike all comicbook movies

On the plus side I finally got some good time off and have been sitting here getting to play around with all these settings on my new tv...
75 inches of 4k ultra high definition it's a beast and about to watch Kong Skull Island and whatever else I find
I won't give a score I like the siskel and ebert method :thup: or :thdn:
All-Star
 
Posts: 1900
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:44 am

Re: Movie Reviews

by KevinRiley2 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:58 pm

oo DAWG oo wrote:I won't give a score I like the siskel and ebert method :thup: or :thdn:

:)
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8643
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Movie Reviews

by oo DAWG oo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:48 pm

Once upon a time in Venice:

Well i generally can watch Bruce Willis movies so I thought lets watch it...
Guy has his dog stolen goes on an adventure to get it back
It was listed as a comedy but nothing in it even made me smirk let alone chuckle or laugh. It was just a soso movie not bad not good but was watchable.
It has no rewatch value but not something I shut off because it was terrible.
Was like a movie they all did for the paycheck until the next one comes along..
I'll give it a :thup: :thdn:. Could take it or leave it
All-Star
 
Posts: 1900
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:44 am

Re: Movie Reviews

by KevinRiley2 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:39 am

7 Days In Hell (2015) :

As per Wiki...

"Aaron Williams (Andy Samberg) and Charles Poole (Kit Harington) are professional tennis players who face off in what becomes the longest match in history. The mockumentary explores the backgrounds of the two competitors."

At 45 minutes, it provides plenty of laughs without outstaying its welcome. I just wish I could say the same about the Lena Dunham cameo. :roll:

7.5/10

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpsMi3Q2fok

Image
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8643
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Movie Reviews

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:04 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:The Devil's Mistress (2016) :

The Devil's Mistress is an over stylized but effective telling of Lída Baarová's life. Lída was an actress and the mistress of Nazi Joseph Goebbels. Early in her career she benefitted from the relationship, but it eventually ruined her life and the lives of the people she loved.

Both Tatiana Pauhofová and Karl Markovics are terrific. Markovics is charming and scary as Goebbels. Pauhofová is beautiful/sexy/perfect as the manipulative siren.

I could have done without some of the over the top direction, but I still really enjoyed this film.

7.5/10

Spoken Languages are Czech, German, and brief English.

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4ckFEz7Nd4

Image


Johnny saw this movie the other day. Johnny really liked it! Johnny liked the style of the movie. Maybe a bit too stylized as you say Kevin, but nice to watch.

The female lead Tatiana Pauhofova was great. She made whole scenes come to life with just a facial expression or two.
And, it's an understatement to say she is easy on the eyes. :D
"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1533
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:52 pm

Re: Movie Reviews

by KevinRiley2 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:08 pm

Johnny Ticat slayer wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:The Devil's Mistress (2016) :

The Devil's Mistress is an over stylized but effective telling of Lída Baarová's life. Lída was an actress and the mistress of Nazi Joseph Goebbels. Early in her career she benefitted from the relationship, but it eventually ruined her life and the lives of the people she loved.

Both Tatiana Pauhofová and Karl Markovics are terrific. Markovics is charming and scary as Goebbels. Pauhofová is beautiful/sexy/perfect as the manipulative siren.

I could have done without some of the over the top direction, but I still really enjoyed this film.

7.5/10

Spoken Languages are Czech, German, and brief English.

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4ckFEz7Nd4

Image


Johnny saw this movie the other day. Johnny really liked it! Johnny liked the style of the movie. Maybe a bit too stylized as you say Kevin, but nice to watch.

The female lead Tatiana Pauhofova was great. She made whole scenes come to life with just a facial expression or two.
And, it's an understatement to say she is easy on the eyes. :D

Agree with everything you wrote. :thup:

Speaking of eyes... her eyes were amazing!
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8643
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Movie Reviews

by KevinRiley2 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:21 pm

The Host (2006) :

An American, unconcerned with the environmental consequences, orders toxins poured into the Han River. Soon, an enormous creature is born and it wrecks havoc on South Korea. The creature collects bodies, like a squirrel collecting nuts for the winter, and one of the bodies is a little girl named Hyun-seo. The girl`s eccentric family searches the underground sewers in the hope of finding her alive. What follows is part comedy, part horror, and part Godzilla movie. All 3 parts are effective.

The Host is the 5th movie I've reviewed by Director Bong Joon-ho, and it ranks 4th on my list. Unfortunately, just like Okja, the weakest of Joon-ho's movies, The Host tries to be too many things, and the final product, while strong, is simply too long. I'm not sure what could have been removed, because nothing seems excessive or out of place, but if they'd cut 30 minutes, it could have been great. Still, even with all its excesses, the movie is very good.

The Host is one of South Korea's most financially successful movies and it's currently available on Netflix Canada.

7/10

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoYURokHuZ4

Image
Last edited by KevinRiley2 on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:33 am, edited 6 times in total.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8643
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Movie Reviews

by KevinRiley2 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:10 am

Die Hard (1988) :

When I first saw Die Hard, back in 1988, the audience screamed "Bruce!!!" during the movie's finale (Yippee-ki-yay M.F.), and I walked away, 10 minutes later, believing I'd just watched the Greatest Action Movie Of All Time. 30 years later, I haven't changed my mind.

While Bruce Willis is good, it's the late, great Alan Rickman who steals every scene as Hans Gruber, one of movie history's best bad guys.

Die Hard is simply fantastic.

10/10

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qxBXm7ZUTM

Image
Last edited by KevinRiley2 on Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:24 am, edited 8 times in total.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8643
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

PreviousNext

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests