Movie Reviews

Re: Movie Reviews

by KevinRiley2 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:33 am

Most of the movies coming out this week, are NOT allowing early reviews. We all know what that means. :thdn:
Last edited by KevinRiley2 on Sun May 21, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:56 pm

Hidden Figures (2016) :

3 women of colour struggle at NASA in the early 1960's. They are treated poorly and held back, because they are black, until their talent/smarts get recognized.

Sounds like an interesting story and a great movie, right? Well, it's NOT a great movie.

First, H.F. is bogged down with subplots. Second, it's corny. Really corny! Last, it feels like Hollywood - you never forget you're watching a movie.

Hidden Figures was a Best Picture nominee. Considering how average, predictable, and trite it is, I wonder if it was nominated because of the heat the Academy Awards received for its lack of colour in 2015. After sitting through 2+ hours of this Saccharin nostalgia, I can't think of any other explanation.

3.5/10

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wfrDhgUMGI

Last edited by KevinRiley2 on Fri May 19, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All-Star

by beaglehound » Tue May 16, 2017 4:20 pm

Papillon (1973) :

Few movies hold my attention the way Papillon did. The acting by lead actors Dustin Hoffman and Steve McQueen was superb and in my opinion flawless.

Why these two did not receive at least an Oscar nomination for either best actor or best actor in a supporting role amazes me. Certainly there was some stiff competition in that year with the likes of Marlon Brando, Michael Caine, Lawrence Olivier, and Peter O'toole but actors Dustin Hoffman and Steve McQueen held their own.
Their portrayal of the characters they played was exemplary.

The setting was the French penal colony of Cayenne, commonly known as Devil's Island. This prison colony was notorious for its inhuman and brutal practices.
MCQueen was found guilty of murdering a pimp. We never do learn whether he was framed or actually guilty but as I gained insight into his character it is plausible that he was in fact innocent which made my adrenalin flow all the more. The combined talents of Steve McQueen, Dustin Hoffman, and the entire cast, Director Franklin J. Schaffner and his crew, all made for an intense drama that is captivating.

First opened in 1852, Devil's Island penal colony has been one of the most infamous prisons in history. This prison was home to political prisoners and hardened criminals. Prisoners that attempted to escape faced piranha, Crocodile and snake infested rivers and very thick jungle surroundings. Those making the attempt were put in solitary confinement for periods of a year or more, irons and shackles as well as added years to their sentence. In 1895 the colony gained additional notoriety when Alfred Dreyfus, a Jewish captain in the French army, was sent to Devil's Island after being falsely accused of treason. He would finally be released in 1899 with his name cleared. This made the prison world-famous. Prisoners sent to Devil's Island were exposed to hell-hole conditions. Many were worked to death. Tropical storms, malaria and floods claimed some 10,000 prisoners. There was also a mental ward on the facility, which was said to be extremely cruel with its prisoner treatment. Of 80,000 men that were sent to this prison, only 30,000 survived. The prison closed in 1946.

The movie is a quick-moving picture with realistic action and violence, but also an intimate, poetic glimpse into the nature of its characters. I could not help admire McQueen's portrayal of a convict consumed with a passion for freedom. Towards the end of the movie I can only say that the male bonding created between the lead characters came close to bringing a tear to my eye.

Schaffner, who is also credited with directing Planet of the Apes and Patton, among other movies skilfully creates a very fascinating relationship drawn between the two main characters. Papillon (McQueen) and Dega (Hoffman) compose an unhappy marriage. Within each of the two men is the alter ego of the other. Hoffman is the intellect who must cope with the reality of his own animal instincts in the daily struggle for survival. And McQueen is the paragon of reckless masculinity, with an inner sensitivity struggling for release. "Papillon" is french for butterfly. Perhaps McQueen's character can be likened to a newly created butterfly desperately trying to escape the prison of a cocoon. The theme of the movie itself, in other words, is illustrated by these two men. Theirs is an exploration of the struggle between destructive inhumanity and compassion, between imprisonment and freedom — not only within the confines of a Devil's Island, but also within the confines of man's very nature."
I would loathe being imprisoned in an institution of this kind or any institution for that matter. This made the movie all the more compelling.

Is this a true story? The movie was inspired by the book with the same name and written by Henri Charrière, who actually did time on Devil's Island and writes about his personal experience.

Go the following link to learn more but go only after you watch the movie:

http://www.coopertoons.com/caricatures/ ... n_bio.html

For a 1973 movie it was refreshing to watch a movie without all of the computer generated imagery and green screen technology used today. This movie demonstrates that when you have quality acting and realistic scenes there doesn't have to be a lot of CGI stuff.

The movie is fast paced and left me wanting to see more. I so much wanted to see Papillon and Dega escape once and for all but like all well scripted movies I would not know until the very end of the movie.

To give this less than a 9.5 would mean I would have had to look for a reason not to give it a 9.5. I found none. That being said I will say that I was somewhat puzzled that actor Victory Jury would get the kind of recognition he received and have his name along side the actors who played prominent roles. Jury's role was very minor and he did not even have a word to say let alone a line.

If you have not watched Papillon and enjoy intense drama I highly recommend this movie. If you enjoyed the movie watch for the re-make which I think is schedule for release this year. The film stars Charlie Hunnam as Henri Charrière ("Papillon"), and Rami Malek as Louis Dega. I know little about either of these actors.

Will the re-make be as good as the original? Hard to say. Personally I think the original became a classic because of McQueen and Hoffman.

It will be interesting to see if these two characters do justice to the movie.

9.5/10
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
All-Star

by RedandWhite » Tue May 16, 2017 4:53 pm

The Light Between Oceans (2016) :

Chick flick about a lighthouse...with one of your dates could potentially get you laid Kevin, so keep it in mind....

Mrs. R&W declares, 8.5/10 ...I give it four Zees
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Site Staff

by KevinRiley2 » Tue May 16, 2017 7:32 pm

beaglehound wrote: Papillon (1973) :

9.5/10

9.5????

Lord help us. :( This movie put me to sleep. :(

Anyway, thank God it's NOT a 10.

RedandWhite wrote:with one of your dates could potentially get you laid Kevin

Oh, oh.... That's NOT good. :(
All-Star

by RedandWhite » Tue May 16, 2017 9:16 pm

...maybe you ARE a T-800. :o
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Site Staff

by KevinRiley2 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:28 pm

RedandWhite wrote:...maybe you ARE a T-800. :o

:)
All-Star

by beaglehound » Wed May 17, 2017 10:11 am

KevinRiley2 wrote:

9.5/10

9.5????

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If that one put you to sleep Kevin then no doubt the re-make will probably put you into a coma.*lol*
Did I only give it a 9.5? Dang it.
Last edited by beaglehound on Wed May 17, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Wed May 17, 2017 10:43 am

RedandWhite wrote:The Light Between Oceans (2016) :

Chick flick about a lighthouse...with one of your dates could potentially get you laid Kevin, so keep it in mind....

Mrs. R&W declares, 8.5/10 ...I give it four Zees

Heh, I didn't mind it so much. I guess I could relate to the male lead character, who has to choose between doing the right thing and keeping his wife off his back: a no-win situation if there ever was one.
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:20 pm

beaglehound wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:

9.5/10

9.5????

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If that one put you to sleep Kevin then no doubt the re-make will probably put you into a coma.*lol*
Did I only give it a 9.5? Dang it.

I was never a Dustin Hoffman fan. :)
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:05 am

The Devil's Mistress (2016) :

The Devil's Mistress is an over stylized but effective telling of Lída Baarová's life. Lída was an actress and the mistress of Nazi Joseph Goebbels. Early in her career she benefitted from the relationship, but it eventually ruined her life and the lives of the people she loved.

Both Tatiana Pauhofová and Karl Markovics are terrific. Markovics is charming and scary as Goebbels. Pauhofová is beautiful/sexy/perfect as the manipulative siren.

I could have done without some of the over the top direction, but I still really enjoyed this film.

7.5/10

Spoken Languages are Czech, German, and brief English.

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4ckFEz7Nd4

Last edited by KevinRiley2 on Sat May 20, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All-Star

by beaglehound » Fri May 19, 2017 2:53 am

"I was never a Dustin Hoffman fan."...by Kevin

I can understand that. I'm sure he's not everyone's cup of tea. He's not one of my favourites either but he's palatable. One actor I really am not a fan of is Tom Hanks. I find his acting one dimensional. For me it doesn't matter if it is The Green Mile, Apollo13 or Castaway, there is only one dimension to his acting. I can't understand how he won back to back Oscars for Best Actor.

Now, on the other hand I can watch Anthony Hopkins all day! :thup:
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:04 am

beaglehound wrote:"I was never a Dustin Hoffman fan."...by Kevin

I can understand that. I'm sure he's not everyone's cup of tea. He's not one of my favourites either but he's palatable. One actor I really am not a fan of is Tom Hanks. I find his acting one dimensional. For me it doesn't matter if it is The Green Mile, Apollo13 or Castaway, there is only one dimension to his acting. I can't understand how he won back to back Oscars for Best Actor.

Now, on the other hand I can watch Anthony Hopkins all day! :thup:

We`re on a different page on these BH...

Can`t take Dustin Hoffman, even in small doses.
I enjoy Tom Hanks.
Anthony Hopkins lost me when he started playing Lector.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:29 pm

Alien Covenant (2017) :

It’s been almost 40 years since the movie Alien came out - with a poster reminding us that "in space, no one can hear you scream". Alien is a horror classic and was followed, 7 years later, by the inferior, but still strong, Aliens. After that, the franchise died a painful death, up to, and including, the God awful Prometheus in 2012.

Ridley Scott, who directed the original, is back with Alien Covenant. As Scott has said (paraphrasing), “In Alien movies, nothing happens in the first 40 minutes”, and Covenant is no different…

During the first third of the movie we are introduced to the crew. They are a happy lot and, the hope is, we will grow to care for them so when the Aliens tear them to shreds, we feel something. They laugh and party when a shockwave kills their captain. Things get worse when they follow a human radio transmission to an unknown planet, decide to go exploring without helmets (never a good idea), and things get bloody ugly.

If you’re expecting Alien Covenant to break new ground, you’ll be disappointed. What’s worse is the stupidity of the characters. They act illogically, and then they’re shocked when things go bad . Also, the surprise ending is a surprise to no one but the crew.

Covenant is one of the better Alien movies since the second sequel in 1992. Unfortunately, that’s not saying much.

3/10

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svnAD0TApb8

Last edited by KevinRiley2 on Sun May 21, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:28 pm

Casting JonBenet (2016) :

There was nothing else on Netflix so I decided to give this a try. I was 15 minutes in, when I turned it off. It felt like they were making light of this little girl's death.

Pure garbage and Netflix should be ashamed. It should be titled, Exploiting JonBenet. Avoid!

0/10

:thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn:

Movie Trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KMEOaMCJss

Last edited by KevinRiley2 on Tue May 23, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All-Star

PreviousNext