Will this convince those with their heads in the sand?

Re: Will this convince those with their heads in the sand?

by TravelPat1 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:54 am

Earth Day quote from the Dalai Lama

The sight of violence makes us recoil, but we don’t notice damage to the environment until it’s already happened and there’s little to be done. Climate change is already affecting millions of farmers. We are interdependent as never before and yet we still tend to think in terms of ‘us’ and ‘them’. This Earth Day we need a greater sense of global responsibility based on our belonging to one human family.
All-Star

by ryan3434 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:39 pm

Sorry.. I cant help but think of this when i hear or read lama
https://youtu.be/bHNczNvOnGc
I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement and physics!

Feminazis.. Not better women just crappy men.
Hall of Famer

by TravelPat1 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:21 am

Some great signs at marches around the world in support of science. One of the most succinct said.

'I can't believe I actually have to march in support of facts'. A telling sign in these days of science denying efforts funded by big moneyed industries.

Some of my faves (this one because I love dogs)

All-Star

by Aerial » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:32 am

'I can't believe I actually have to march in support of facts'

Well, that's often how the world works I'm afraid. You might like this post Travel and others by a neuroscientist who wrote an excellent book I just finished reading, The Idiot Brain: A Neuroscientist Explains What Your Head Is Really Up To. Dean Burnett:

How the media warp science: the case of the sensationalised satnav. - Reports of research that shows that satnavs “switch off” parts of the brain are a perfect example of how the media distorts science, often unintentionally

But it doesn’t end there. In these days of “publish or perish” and obsessions with “impact”, it’s not enough to produce a good study, people have to read it as well. To this end, publicity and media departments send out press-releases to draw attention to their latest findings.

This is in no way is this a criticism of the people who do it. It’s a big ask. To make something intensely technical understandable and appealing for a mainstream audience often requires some clever or ingenious way of presenting it. Sometimes they misjudge it spectacularly, but most of the time they get it reasonably right, in my humble opinion.

In this instance, the UCL media relations office sent out an undeniably thorough and well-written press release, but with the title “Satnavs ‘switch off’ parts of the brain”.

I saw the press release as I’m on the mailing list for the Science Media Centre, an independent body that works hard to ensure that scientific reporting is fair and accurate by putting providing journalists and reporters with relevant expert perspectives as soon as any science-based news pops up. I received the press release, and felt I could comment as this is actually my area (twice in one month? What are the odds?!)

The press release was largely fine, but I did flag up problems with the title. Parts of the brain which became more active in one situation didn’t become more active in the other; in no way is this “switching off” parts of the brain, any more than the fact your pulse isn’t racing means your heart has stopped. “Shutting off” the hippocampus, even very briefly, can cause serious long-term damage.

This may seem like splitting hairs, but it’s important. Suggesting that something “shuts down” the brain implies active, negative interference. It has the greater potential to alarm people needlessly. As well as that, “Satnavs” aren’t mentioned in the original study, so to say it claims they shut down the brain is doubly dubious.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/bra ... sed-satnav
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
All-Star

by Aerial » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:14 pm

I never thought of the agricultural implications of CO2 emissions but it is in the equation so it seems:

Putting a Price on Carbon, from Farm to Fork

Every bite we take has carbon tax implications. From farm to fork, food is responsible for about 25 per cent of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions. And every decision consumers make when selecting food impacts the environment.

http://www.businessexaminer.ca/peace-ca ... rm-to-fork
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Tue May 02, 2017 9:07 am

What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by Aerial » Tue May 02, 2017 10:30 am

Wow, that is interesting, a big mother sucker beast!
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Tue May 02, 2017 11:37 am

Hopefully it will become more efficient. Capturing 1% is a start but we need to do much better.
All-Star

by Liquor Kitty » Tue May 02, 2017 11:45 am

KevinRiley2 wrote:

Hopefully it will become more efficient. Capturing 1% is a start but we need to do much better.

Just plant more trees and don't clear cut as much.
Veteran

by KevinRiley2 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:00 pm

Liquor Kitty wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:

Nice idea but if only it were that simple.
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Tue May 02, 2017 2:08 pm

Liquor Kitty wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:

Unfortunately, tree seeds cost almost nothing, so there's little to not profit to be had from (re)planting forests. Technologies like carbon capture require billions in government investments, so those looking to get those government monies are much more interested in technology than they are in forests.
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Tue May 02, 2017 2:15 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:

1% is based on having 750,000 of these plants in operation. If we had about 5.5 million of them in operation, then problem solved. According to my calculations, that would only cost a shade north of 11 trillion, or in other words, about the same as Canada's debt after a few more years of Trudeau governance. :lol:
-Confucius

All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Tue May 02, 2017 2:44 pm

PTBO Dave wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:

1% is based on having 750,000 of these plants in operation. If we had about 5.5 million of them in operation, then problem solved. According to my calculations, that would only cost a shade north of 11 trillion, or in other words, about the same as Canada's debt after a few more years of Trudeau governance. :lol:

It's crazy how difficult it is to remove CO2 from the atmosphere.
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Tue May 02, 2017 2:53 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
PTBO Dave wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:Hopefully it will become more efficient. Capturing 1% is a start but we need to do much better.

It's crazy how difficult it is to remove CO2 from the atmosphere.

Actually, trees and forests do a great job of it. It is difficult, however, to remove the greed from people :x
-Confucius

All-Star

by pigseye2015 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:44 pm

It's actually quite simple to scrub 99.9% of CO2 emissions from industrial sources, Siemens has had the technology for some time now but claim that a 90% scrub is the economic threshold.

So why hasn't this been done? We've had the solution to the problem since about 2009 when they started using it at coal plants in Germany.

The only answer, the entire green sector would just dry up....the real too big to fail story.
Starter

PreviousNext