Why Canada.....why

Re: Why Canada.....why

by OttSens » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:25 pm

Abendschan wrote:
FootbalYouBet wrote:
argonaut11xx wrote:
(BARF)

barf is right. That pretty much describes your contribution to this topic.

FootbalYouBet :thup: Abendschan

Yeah, we are all entitled to our own opinion and are free to vocalize it here however we please.

But if a certain individual is going to act like a child having a temper tantrum because he didn't get his way, then he is free to embarrass himself here too. At least we only have ones of these kind of people to deal with in this thread.
Starter

by TravelPat1 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:28 pm

Aerial wrote:How many Canadians right now are wishing they were in Mr. Khadr's shoes?

Right now being handed a cheque for $10 million - sure.

But to have had to have gone through the 10-15 years he went through - when he was dragged into a war zone as a kid by his Dad, forced into Al Quaeda brainwashing terrorism schools and then being shot a couple of times during a raid in a war zone, then held illegally for years and tortured with the complicit consent and possible participation of his own government.

I'm guessing not very many Canadians Earl would trade places for the entire experience.
All-Star

by alphamale111 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:41 pm

Veteran

by KevinRiley2 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:37 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:
Aerial wrote:How many Canadians right now are wishing they were in Mr. Khadr's shoes?

But to have had to have gone through the 10-15 years he went through - when he was dragged into a war zone as a kid by his Dad, forced into Al Quaeda brainwashing terrorism schools and then being shot a couple of times during a raid in a war zone, then held illegally for years and tortured with the complicit consent and possible participation of his own government.

I'm guessing not very many Canadians Earl would trade places for the entire experience.

Agree.
All-Star

by ArgoT » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:50 pm

Unbelievable...........only in Canada you say.
A reward for being an admitted terrorist.
All-Star

by OttSens » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:44 pm

ArgoT wrote:Unbelievable...........only in Canada you say.
A reward for being an admitted terrorist.

That is not at all what has happened.
Starter

by Aerial » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:05 am

TravelPat1 wrote:

Fair enough Pat. That being said, the interview on TV, and I realize it's just a short interview and impossible to make any hard fast conclusions, Mr. Khadr doesn't appear any worse for the wear.
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:36 pm

Aerial wrote:Fair enough Pat. That being said, the interview on TV, and I realize it's just a short interview and impossible to make any hard fast conclusions, Mr. Khadr doesn't appear any worse for the wear.

That's not fair, Earl. He went to hell and back.
All-Star

by Aerial » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:11 pm

But he doesn't look like this Kevin from my take on how he's come across on that interview. What that means, no idea.
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
All-Star

by ArgoT » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:22 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
Aerial wrote:Fair enough Pat. That being said, the interview on TV, and I realize it's just a short interview and impossible to make any hard fast conclusions, Mr. Khadr doesn't appear any worse for the wear.

Oh yea, how about the US medic he killed, no comparison.
All-Star

by Aerial » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:06 pm

Yup, that medic isn't coming back, at all except as a ghost.
All-Star

by oo DAWG oo » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:19 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:

But not by the fault of Canada..
Canada secured his release under the guise of having him serve jail up there...but to release him shortly after.
I doubt he was waterboarded who would give him any real info. There was no need for such an act.
His family took him to go fight against YOU AND YOUR ALLIES making then traitors ..he was captured then secured a release amd now free And your government is going to say sorry and make him a multimillionaire? WTF
setting him free is one thing but he deserves no appology or any financial compensation especially of that magnitude
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:56 pm

ArgoT wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:

Oh yea, how about the US medic he killed, no comparison.

That's true.

Anyway, from what I've read about the case, which is very little, the settlement seemed fair and, like I've said before, I'm happy to pay my share.
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:28 pm

ArgoT wrote:Oh yea, how about the US medic he killed, no comparison.

I really do suggest everybody read the link alphamale provided a few posts above. Reading that and other similar articles - to me it seems doubtful that Khadr actually killed the American soldier. He would likely never have been found guilty in a regular trial situation by the sounds of it. Here is that link again.

http://www.nationalobserver.com/2017/07 ... snt-guilty

Also here an opinion piece co-written by Lieutenant General Romeo Dallaire that appeared in today's Globe and Mail. Also very informative and worth the read.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion ... e35623662/
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:22 pm

oo DAWG oo wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:

But not by the fault of Canada..
Canada secured his release under the guise of having him serve jail up there...but to release him shortly after.
I doubt he was waterboarded who would give him any real info. There was no need for such an act.
His family took him to go fight against YOU AND YOUR ALLIES making then traitors ..he was captured then secured a release amd now free And your government is going to say sorry and make him a multimillionaire? WTF
setting him free is one thing but he deserves no appology or any financial compensation especially of that magnitude

TBH, I don't know enough about the facts of the case to argue with you, Dawg.

But, for a lousy $0.33 per Canadian, I'm happy to :

A) Hold my nose and cut a cheque.
B) See it go away.
All-Star

PreviousNext