ABC sued for Fake News

ABC sued for Fake News

by West » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:57 am

Things just keep getting worse for left leaning "journalism" this week as ABC apparently settled a lawsuit with a North Dakota meat producing business after running a defaming fake news story about them

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thestar ... wsuit.html

The lawsuit was worth 1.6 billion dollars.
All-Star

Re: ABC sued for Fake News

by TravelPat1 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:08 am

Being sued is VERY different from losing a suit. Donald has sued, threatened to sue and has been sued hundreds of times. Does that make him a fake President.
All-Star

by beaglehound » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:28 am

TravelPat1 wrote:Being sued is VERY different from losing a suit. Donald has sued, threatened to sue and has been sued hundreds of times. Does that make him a fake President.

Huh???

How is it TravelPat that you can't help yourself? West begins a new thread and posts something about a news network getting sued for running a fake news article regarding the meat business and you can't help yourself. You needed to drag Trump into the scene.

Do you know the point of West's post? I got it. Everyone else except you it appears. He's making the point about how other networks and other media need to smarten up or they will be next. Can you understand that? The topic was fake news reporting. It wasn't about Trump or anyone else. Why do you appear incapable of separating the two and need to work Trump into the scene? Did he have something to do with the meat business story? Chillax a little. Go and take some of those nature cool pics you like taking. It may calm you down a little.
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
All-Star

by West » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:35 am

TravelPat1 wrote:Being sued is VERY different from losing a suit. Donald has sued, threatened to sue and has been sued hundreds of times. Does that make him a fake President.

ABC settled this suit for what appears to be over a billion dollars. Not sure your point.
All-Star

by West » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:46 am

beaglehound wrote:

Huh???

How is it TravelPat that you can't help yourself? West begins a new thread and posts something about a news network getting sued for running a fake news article regarding the meat business and you can't help yourself. You needed to drag Trump into the scene.

Do you know the point of West's post? I got it. Everyone else except you it appears. He's making the point about how other networks and other media need to smarten up or they will be next. Can you understand that? The topic was fake news reporting. It wasn't about Trump or anyone else. Why do you appear incapable of separating the two and need to work Trump into the scene? Did he have something to do with the meat business story? Chillax a little. Go and take some of those nature cool pics you like taking. It may calm you down a little.

It's getting harder and harder for him to defend the media and claim there's no such thing as Fake News from the left.
All-Star

by OttSens » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:13 pm

West wrote:
beaglehound wrote:

Huh???

It's getting harder and harder for him to defend the media and claim there's no such thing as Fake News from the left.

Just keep in mind that "fake news" comes from all sides of the spectrum. Also, a media outlet getting sued for defamation is not uncommon, and doesn't indicate that the source is always unreliable.
Starter

by West » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:51 pm

It certainly doesn't help their cause when they are sued for over a billion and spread false information putting people out of business and costing people their jobs.

Not sure why some feel the need to defend the news orgs. A prime example of over the top journalism having very real impact on people's lives. All for ratings and a story
All-Star

by OttSens » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:13 pm

West wrote:It certainly doesn't help their cause when they are sued for over a billion and spread false information putting people out of business and costing people their jobs.

Not sure why some feel the need to defend the news orgs. A prime example of over the top journalism having very real impact on people's lives. All for ratings and a story

Because news organizations usually do a good job at bringing current information to individuals. And it is important for individuals to have information about what is happening in society. I am not going to deny that they sometimes get the facts wrong (look up defamation in google news and you will see plenty of stories) but just because they make mistakes at times doesn't mean they are completely un-credible. The best way to evaluate stories is to read articles from a variety of sources that limit their partisanship. And as others have pointed out there is a difference between being sued and actually being in the wrong. Many times a person or organization can try and sue someone else, only to have the lawsuit thrown out because it wasn't valid. You just seem to be obsessed with trying to discredit any media organization that doesn't pander to your ideology.
Starter

by West » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:16 pm

... They settled the lawsuit meaning they knew they'd lose if it went to court.
All-Star

by OttSens » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:01 pm

West wrote:... They settled the lawsuit meaning they knew they'd lose if it went to court.

I'm not denying that. I am just saying that many lawsuits for defamation are frivolous. Did ABC mess up here? It certainly looks like it. But the amount of information they put out there is so huge that they are bound to be wrong every once in a while. You can't point to one mistake and say it discredits them.
Starter

by beaglehound » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:30 pm

OttSens wrote:
West wrote:It certainly doesn't help their cause when they are sued for over a billion and spread false information putting people out of business and costing people their jobs.

Because news organizations usually do a good job at bringing current information to individuals. And it is important for individuals to have information about what is happening in society.

That is the way it used to be OttSens but not any longer. Today journalism is about getting good ratings. Good ratings translates into big bucks. The news media editorializes and adds its own "interpretation" and spin on almost everything. And they do it far too much. Instead of informing the public the media attempts to influence and tell the public how it should think. It sometimes does it very subtly. Other times it does it blatantly. CNN is a perfect example. There is bringing current information to the viewer and then there is tainting that information with the media's own slant and interpretation.

When you stand at the check-out waiting to get your groceries amuse yourself by reading the National Enquirer or one of those other cheap rags. See the trash that is in there. That is what the establishment media has become. The establishment media has become so corrupted and so greedy for ratings and money that news is not being delivered in an impartial productive manner any longer. Media has sold its soul!
All-Star

by OttSens » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:51 pm

beaglehound wrote:
OttSens wrote:

Because news organizations usually do a good job at bringing current information to individuals. And it is important for individuals to have information about what is happening in society.

That is the way it used to be OttSens but not any longer. Today journalism is about getting good ratings. Good ratings translates into big bucks. The news media editorializes and adds its own "interpretation" and spin on almost everything. And they do it far too much. Instead of informing the public the media attempts to influence and tell the public how it should think. It sometimes does it very subtly. Other times it does it blatantly. CNN is a perfect example. There is bringing current information to the viewer and then there is tainting that information with the media's own slant and interpretation.

When you stand at the check-out waiting to get your groceries amuse yourself by reading the National Enquirer or one of those other cheap rags. See the trash that is in there. That is what the establishment media has become. The establishment media has become so corrupted and so greedy for ratings and money that news is not being delivered in an impartial productive manner any longer. Media has sold its soul!

I agree to an extent, but I think you and some of the others on here overstate it greatly. I don't watch CNN (I rarely watch TV outside of sports and instead my primary news source is the CBC website although I also like to read The Economist online), so I can't comment on them specifically, but I challenge you to point out examples of them tainting information with their own slant. What media source do you primarily use? Because I would also challenge you to seek out examples of that media source tainting information with their (which may also be your) biases.

Also, it is ridiculous to compare those pieces of trash at the grocery store to established news organizations. I find it highly unlikely that a significant percent of the population takes them seriously. Before you can compare CNN to them CNN will have to publish a story about Trump impregnating Michelle Obama :lol:
Starter

by beaglehound » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:00 pm

OttSens writes: " agree to an extent, but I think you and some of the others on here overstate it greatly. I don't watch CNN (I rarely watch TV outside of sports and instead my primary news source is the CBC website although I also like to read The Economist online), so I can't comment on them specifically, but I challenge you to point out examples of them tainting information with their own slant. What media source do you primarily use? Because I would also challenge you to seek out examples of that media source tainting information with their (which may also be your) biases.

Also, it is ridiculous to compare those pieces of trash at the grocery store to established news organizations. I find it highly unlikely that a significant percent of the population takes them seriously. Before you can compare CNN to them CNN will have to publish a story about Trump impregnating Michelle Obama"

Challenge? Challenge? Tone it down OttSens. We are having a discussion- I hope.

"I don't watch CNN so I can't comment on them specifically, but I challenge you to point out examples of them tainting information with their own slant."

Oh my gosh. Go to YouTube and you can see for yourself hundreds if not thousands of examples. And you don't have to dig for them. See the way CNN covered the 2016 U.S. election campaign. You will not see impartiality . You will see bias at its worst.

"Also, it is ridiculous to compare those pieces of trash at the grocery store to established news organizations. I find it highly unlikely that a significant percent of the population takes them seriously."

You did not get my point. My point is that they there are numerous stories that carry some truth:
- In 2006, the Enquirer was the first newspaper to reveal that O. J. Simpson had written a book, If I Did It. The story was immediately denied by Simpson's lawyer, but was confirmed by release of the book one month later
- In 2001, the Enquirer uncovered that the Rev. Jesse Jackson had an illegitimate child.
- The Enquirer additionally scooped other media outlets during the O. J. Simpson murder trial: when a distinctive footprint from a Bruno Magli shoe was found at the crime scene, Simpson vehemently denied owning such a shoe. The Enquirer, however, published two photos showing Simpson wearing Bruno Magli shoes.

However, there is a lot of Yellow Journalism in the tabloid and it is the yellow journalism that I am seeing more and more of in so called "established" news organizations.

"I find it highly unlikely that a significant percent of the population takes them seriously."

Is $50+ million annually in revenue serious enough for you?

"Before you can compare CNN to them CNN will have to publish a story about Trump impregnating Michelle Obama"

I don't know about that. Have you heard something you are not telling us?
All-Star

by West » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:21 am

OttSens wrote:
West wrote:... They settled the lawsuit meaning they knew they'd lose if it went to court.

I'm not denying that. I am just saying that many lawsuits for defamation are frivolous. Did ABC mess up here? It certainly looks like it. But the amount of information they put out there is so huge that they are bound to be wrong every once in a while. You can't point to one mistake and say it discredits them.

Then I'm confused about your comment. It sounded like you and Pat never read the article but rushed to defend a news org that unfairly took away the livlihood of many people just to get a story.
All-Star

by West » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:36 am

OttSens wrote:I agree to an extent, but I think you and some of the others on here overstate it greatly. I don't watch CNN (I rarely watch TV outside of sports and instead my primary news source is the CBC website although I also like to read The Economist online), so I can't comment on them specifically, but I challenge you to point out examples of them tainting information with their own slant. What media source do you primarily use? Because I would also challenge you to seek out examples of that media source tainting information with their (which may also be your) biases.

There have been plenty of examples given for your challenge by myself and others. One of the main ones I can think of was the way CNN and other "news" outlets played up the Freddie Gray death as police brutality and repeating over and over again he was given a "rough ride". This played into their "all cops are racist" narrative which, in my view, built up to cops being picked off like deer in Texas a year or so ago. It also lead to a massive riot.

Turns out there wasn't any evidence to back this narrative up and the cops went free. Of course they try and play it up as a racist justice system.

My views on this have nothing to do with where I get my news. It's based largely on observations; how we've seen stories and narratives that are hyped.

I've admitted conservative leaning news sources have bias yet it seems most left cleaners aside from Sambo cannot admit there is a left leaning bias in most "news" papers out there.
All-Star

Next