Three Journalists quit CNN

Re: Three Journalists quit CNN

by sambo42 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:54 pm

beaglehound wrote:
Sambo,

You are attempting to defend CNN by fervently going after Fox news as if I'm trying to defend Fox news. You have not even asked me what my thoughts are about Fox news. Now why might that be?

OK, so let hear it... what do you think of Faux News?...
ryan3434: gandhi was a black hating racist
Hall of Famer

by beaglehound » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:02 pm

sambo42 wrote:
beaglehound wrote:
Sambo,

You are attempting to defend CNN by fervently going after Fox news as if I'm trying to defend Fox news. You have not even asked me what my thoughts are about Fox news. Now why might that be?

OK, so let hear it... what do you think of Faux News?...

I've rarely tuned into Fox news. So I really cannot give the network a grade one way or the other. If your point is that if I think CNN is bad I should take a look at Fox and see what "bad" is maybe you're right but I don't think it would change my opinion about CNN.

At one time I looked forward to watching CNN. I liked its coverage of 9/11 and became quite interested in watching it. Then things started to change and I began to question some of the commentators' views. What turned my stomach and completely against CNN was its handling of the U.S. presidential campaign in 2016.

CNN is nothing but a reality news tv program. I can't stand Wolf Blitzer's whiny alarmist voice. I can't stand Lemon's "It's all about me and my opinion" attitude. Erin Burnett isn't any better. And the list goes on.

You may give CNN a pass Sambo but in my opinion they do not report the news "truthfully" . By that I'm not referring to blatant lies. I am referring to reporting the news items with a blatant hidden agenda. That is being deceitful and it is an insult to the public because what the network is attempting to do is influence the viewers, not inform them. This can be accomplished in a number of ways which I have just begun to grasp.
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
All-Star

by Aerial » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:13 pm

Wish this was fake news from CNN but I don't think so. When will it stop?

Top Catholic official charged with sexual assault offenses

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/28/asia/card ... index.html
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
All-Star

by sambo42 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:31 pm

beaglehound wrote:
I've rarely tuned into Fox news. So I really cannot give the network a grade one way or the other. If your point is that if I think CNN is bad I should take a look at Fox and see what "bad" is maybe you're right but I don't think it would change my opinion about CNN.

At one time I looked forward to watching CNN. I liked its coverage of 9/11 and became quite interested in watching it. Then things started to change and I began to question some of the commentators' views. What turned my stomach and completely against CNN was its handling of the U.S. presidential campaign in 2016.

CNN is nothing but a reality news tv program. I can't stand Wolf Blitzer's whiny alarmist voice. I can't stand Lemon's "It's all about me and my opinion" attitude. Erin Burnett isn't any better. And the list goes on.

You may give CNN a pass Sambo but in my opinion they do not report the news "truthfully" . By that I'm not referring to blatant lies. I am referring to reporting the news items with a blatant hidden agenda. That is being deceitful and it is an insult to the public because what the network is attempting to do is influence the viewers, not inform them. This can be accomplished in a number of ways which I have just begun to grasp.

I have never liked Faux News... their constant lies about Benghazi and the birther issue was just a huge red flag for me... and the Super Bowl Sunday that Bill O'Reilly was interviewing Obama at the White House was, I believe, a career low for him... his snide demeanour towards Obama was just disgusting... I believe Obama handled that interview very well... Obama even invited O'Reilly to watch the game with them... and his answer was just embarrassing... he couldn't even put politics aside to enjoy the game... there is much more to discuss than just politics with people, which is why forums like this exist. I left this board for awhile at one point, because it was no longer fun... and its reaching that point again. Its just more insults than debate, and you see that in just about every thread in all the sections.
Hall of Famer

by KevinRiley2 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:40 pm

Aerial wrote:Wish this was fake news from CNN but I don't think so. When will it stop?

Top Catholic official charged with sexual assault offenses

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/28/asia/card ... index.html

It will stop going forward - steps have been taken to prevent anything like this again.

Unfortunately, there is a past that needs to be recognized and addressed.
All-Star

by Aerial » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:44 pm

Hope you're right Kevin. Lives have not just been broken but, and I recently watched the movie Spotlight, have been lost due to this abuse.
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:48 pm

Aerial wrote:Hope you're right Kevin. Lives have not just been broken but, and I recently watched the movie Spotlight, have been lost due to this abuse.

Yup. It's awful/sickening.

The hope is, the Church has hit rock bottom and can rebuild.
All-Star

by beaglehound » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:31 pm

sambo42 wrote:
beaglehound wrote:

I have never liked Faux News... their constant lies about Benghazi and the birther issue was just a huge red flag for me... and the Super Bowl Sunday that Bill O'Reilly was interviewing Obama at the White House was, I believe, a career low for him... his snide demeanour towards Obama was just disgusting... I believe Obama handled that interview very well... Obama even invited O'Reilly to watch the game with them... and his answer was just embarrassing... he couldn't even put politics aside to enjoy the game... there is much more to discuss than just politics with people, which is why forums like this exist. I left this board for awhile at one point, because it was no longer fun... and its reaching that point again. Its just more insults than debate, and you see that in just about every thread in all the sections.

Yes, I agree. The insults at times appear to be more important than having a healthy debate. What is that saying about the participants which would include me? Who was it that coined the phrase, "If you want to keep your friends, avoid talking about sex, religion and politics."

People have definite ideas on these subjects and feel very strongly about them. Abortion would be another.

Trump is another topic. If I were an American I don't know if I'd vote for the man or not. Perhaps I would. Perhaps I could. I cannot say. What I can tell you Sambo is that the hatred I see on these off topic threads for this particular man surpasses my understanding and goes beyond humanity itself. Never have I seen individuals speak with such venomous contempt for another human being as I have seen on these forums. Personally I think such behaviour is irrational.

I would be hard pressed not to believe that certain individuals would secretly be rubbing their hands in glee if they woke up in the morning and heard news that Donald Trump was assassinated or suddenly went into cardiac arrest. Oh I would imagine those same individuals would say such things like, " Oh goodness. Sorry to hear that. No one deserves that." Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe some of these individuals would say the guy got what he deserved Or...Ain't karma a __________. Or... I'm not surprised. You could see it coming a mile away."

Like I say. When someone has such contempt for another human being as what has been displayed on our CFL forums it is unhealthy emotionally. Perhaps some intervention would be helpful for those people. The question I have to ask is what is the source of such bitter anger and contempt?

Perhaps Sambo if you're feeling that it is the same old same old it is time to take another sabbatical. It's up to you. I'm happy to talk with you as long as you don't tell me I'm drinking too much Trump kool-aid. :wink:

I took a year away from the forums. I'm glad I did. It gave me a knew perspective. I began to see certain individuals differently. Perhaps mellowed out a little. Perhaps I did? I don't know. I would look in occasionally just to see what all was happening. At times it was the same old same old.

The forums can do so much more than be a place to debate but I won't go into that right now.

Be the change you want to see see in others. That is all you can do. Just remember that sometimes you have to stand your ground and not allow yourself to be bullied. Just be sure you are not the one who is doing the bullying.
All-Star

by West » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:07 am

beaglehound wrote:
West wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote: "...Most Trusted", so I think the guilt is 50/50 and both sides are scum.

"Most Trusted" refers to the fact they are consistently leading in ratings and viewership. Love or hate em they have a massive following and have built one of the great media empires

West,

I'm of the opinion that that phrase is used the same way a vendor might say, " The best fish and chips in town" or "the tastiest hotdogs on earth". His fish and chips may not be the best but there is nothing stopping him from saying it. The other guys hotdogs may not be the tastiest.

I may be wrong but according to these links CNN is not consistently "leading" in ratings and viewership. It may have earned the "most trusted" label back in 2002 but things appear to have changed since then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_cable_news

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/may-2017 ... ork/330617

I was under the impression Kevin's statement was about Fox which, as your wiki link suggests has been number 1 consistently since 2002.

I subscribe to Fox Business Chanel. To me it's probably the best to get business news from the US. I used to love O Reilly and would tune in every so often. He was quit funny slapping down the ridiculousness of the left in comical fashion. Hanity I'm not much of a fan of. Megan Kelly was a liberal in disguise.

I'll watch the Red Eye program every so often. It's an entertaining program with Gavin McInnes on every so often.
All-Star

by beaglehound » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:03 am

My mistake West. Sorry. :oops:
Periodically CNN will come with " CNN the most trusted name in news" or words to that effect. James Earl Jones I think is the voice. I should have read further back in the thread. I see now it was Fox Kevin was talking about.
All-Star

by Lyle B. Style » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:52 am

I think the major problem at CNN is they're asking 200 questions a day - and not getting answers from the White House, Trump or any of Trump's dumplings. Just deferrals, mystical tweets, accusations of being Fake Noose, etc.

Warning for Trump

Sometimes Fake News morphs into Real Noose, bubbles! :cowboy:
All-Star

by sambo42 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:43 am

Lyle B. Style wrote:I think the major problem at CNN is they're asking 200 questions a day - and not getting answers from the White House, Trump or any of Trump's dumplings. Just deferrals, mystical tweets, accusations of being Fake Noose, etc.

Warning for Trump

The real problem is that the line between fake and real news is so blurred, it hard to tell what is real and what if fake...and all networks, print & electronic media are guilty of blurring those lines... and we who watch and listen are also responsible because we eat that stuff up... if we want real news stories that are factual, we have to demand that type of news... right now, we are not doing that, and you see the results.... all the news media are more like the National Enquirer and Weekly World News rather than being schooled, investigative journalists like Rather or Cronkite were... I don't think we will see the likes of those again, because we want the opinions(right or wrong) and fluff, rather than hard hitting stories that keep our politicians honest... when a site like WikiLeaks is doing that job, you know networks like CNN, MSNBC and Faux news are not doing their due diligence in verifying a story before taking it to air.
Hall of Famer

by Lyle B. Style » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:16 am

After Trump slithered by a damaged and quasi-indicted Hilary he knew he couldn't survive on his paltry understanding of the issues. Worse, Trump is an extremely slow learner - so bringing him up to speed was not an option of the minions he installed at the White House.

So blurring the news, creating doubt between fake and real news, pooping directly on selected media personnel (Jim Augusta of CNN the prime example) Trump was wily enough to realize he had to hide behind the press briefings podium. I actually think he wanted Spicer & Husky Hotty Huckabee (HHH) to be more vicious and demeaning in their briefings - most media are astounded the charade has lasted this long.

Trump is incapable of having a real press conference because the only answers he has are kicking the can forward (promising an amazing, astounding answer in a few weeks or the week after next week) or just reverting to his classic "Fake News" insults. He's really poor at answering anything that requires substance - unlike Obama, Clinton or Jimmy Carter, men who could answer questions with deep comprehension, regardless if you liked the answer or not. Ronny Reagan was not a smart man but he knew how to act his way thru questions and was solid in response. George Bush was a puppet of his chief of staff and VP but at least he could take direction and clumsily read prepared/processed statements from his staff.

Trump's saving grace (yes there is one) is the atrociously low IQ of the American voter. I could give the stats of IQs between 55 and 85 but the real point is most americans are fairly dim. Trump knows this and uses it as his primary defense - instead of letting his VP or cabinet members take larger roles.

Even an autocrat like Stephen Harper knew how to answer media questions in tight, short and minimalist fashion. Just enough to get by. Harper controlled his cabinet members like monkeys in the zoo. Let them squawk behind the wires - don't let them out too often.

But Trump is the Kingpin of hiding behind insults, furious tweets, accusations and bluster. The President of Nothing if you will. . . . . :cowboy:
All-Star

by West » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:47 am

Not sure how you can blame Trump (go to for the lefties) when blurring of the truth in journalism has been going on long before Trump was on the political scene.
All-Star

by West » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:49 am

sambo42 wrote:
Lyle B. Style wrote:I think the major problem at CNN is they're asking 200 questions a day - and not getting answers from the White House, Trump or any of Trump's dumplings. Just deferrals, mystical tweets, accusations of being Fake Noose, etc.

Warning for Trump

The real problem is that the line between fake and real news is so blurred, it hard to tell what is real and what if fake...and all networks, print & electronic media are guilty of blurring those lines... and we who watch and listen are also responsible because we eat that stuff up... if we want real news stories that are factual, we have to demand that type of news... right now, we are not doing that, and you see the results.... all the news media are more like the National Enquirer and Weekly World News rather than being schooled, investigative journalists like Rather or Cronkite were... I don't think we will see the likes of those again, because we want the opinions(right or wrong) and fluff, rather than hard hitting stories that keep our politicians honest... when a site like WikiLeaks is doing that job, you know networks like CNN, MSNBC and Faux news are not doing their due diligence in verifying a story before taking it to air.

:thup:
All-Star

PreviousNext