Three Journalists quit CNN

Re: Three Journalists quit CNN

by beaglehound » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:32 pm

TravelPat says: "FYI if you listen to pundits who work for Fox News and CNN - you are much more likely to be fed false information if watching Fox News according to Politifact."

Really? Politifact said that?? Hmmm... and here I always thought we were much more likely to be fed false information reading your stuff TravelPat. For crying out loud. Politifact better start getting with the program. :lol:
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 5026
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Three Journalists quit CNN

by sambo42 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:35 pm

PTBO Dave wrote:
TravelPat1 wrote:
FYI if you listen to pundits who work for Fox News and CNN - you are much more likely to be fed false information if watching Fox News according to Politifact.

- http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/tv/cnn/
Recent statements that were mostly false or worse - 27% - which admittely isn't very good but seems fantastic when compared to Fox News 60% mostly false or worse rankings.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/tv/fox/


Interesting link on CNN. It shows that only 16% of the news stories analyzed were fully true. The other 84% of their stories were "mostly true," "half-true," or worse.

So clearly calling them a source of fake news is way off base. I mean 16% is 16%. That clearly meets the threshold of real news.



I think you are looking at the numbers in a skewed way... if you look at the overall picture... 73% of the stories on CNN are based on some form of truth (facts)... whereas at Faux News, 60% is coming from a false narrative... I would say that CNN is head & shoulders above Faux in reporting factual information.

Now having said that, the sad part is, as I said before, people want to believe the stories that are in line with their beliefs... there is no objectivity, few are looking for facts to see if what they are reading or hearing is actually based in fact... there are people who think that Obama is still going to take away their guns, even though he is out of power... or that he is a Muslim, born in Kenya... even Trump said that Obama was born in the US, distancing himself from the birther issue. People have to start questioning the stuff they see on TV (wether its CNN or Faux News)... even if they have to be uncomfortable with the fact that the information they are taking in doesn't fall in line with their beliefs.
ryan3434: gandhi was a black hating racist
User avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 11256
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:30 am

Re: Three Journalists quit CNN

by beaglehound » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:37 pm

KevinRiley says: "CNN`s desire for Breaking News is hurting their reputation. They keep chasing stories. They need to take a step back."

Perhaps CNN needs to rename " Breaking News" to Breaking Wind" and Wolf Blitzer's and Don Lemon's anchor desk should be re-located at the nearest Taco Bell.
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 5026
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Three Journalists quit CNN

by KevinRiley2 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:40 pm

sambo42 wrote:I think you are looking at the numbers in a skewed way... if you look at the overall picture... 73% of the stories on CNN are based on some form of truth (facts)... whereas at Faux News, 60% is coming from a false narrative... I would say that CNN is head & shoulders above Faux in reporting factual information.

That's fair.

Full Disclosure : I have NEVER watched Fox.

I still think the "CNN Breaking News" B.S. needs to stop. It puts pressure on reports to provide something new, even if it means stretching the truth - as we saw with the 3 resignations.

Anyway, I am sick of all this Trump stuff. It has gotten OLD.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8643
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Three Journalists quit CNN

by sambo42 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:42 pm

Actually, I'm not a big fan of either... to me Blitzer over dramatizes what he is reporting and Lemon says too much of the cuff for my liking... its hard to watch either of them
ryan3434: gandhi was a black hating racist
User avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 11256
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:30 am

Re: Three Journalists quit CNN

by KevinRiley2 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:43 pm

sambo42 wrote:Actually, I'm not a big fan of either... to me Blitzer over dramatizes what he is reporting and Lemon says too much of the cuff for my liking... its hard to watch either of them

I don't mind Lemon - he looks 35.

Wolf is 69. Move on, old man, and give someone else a chance. Selfish jerk.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8643
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Three Journalists quit CNN

by PTBO Dave » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:45 pm

sambo42 wrote:
PTBO Dave wrote:
TravelPat1 wrote:
FYI if you listen to pundits who work for Fox News and CNN - you are much more likely to be fed false information if watching Fox News according to Politifact.

- http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/tv/cnn/
Recent statements that were mostly false or worse - 27% - which admittely isn't very good but seems fantastic when compared to Fox News 60% mostly false or worse rankings.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/tv/fox/


Interesting link on CNN. It shows that only 16% of the news stories analyzed were fully true. The other 84% of their stories were "mostly true," "half-true," or worse.

So clearly calling them a source of fake news is way off base. I mean 16% is 16%. That clearly meets the threshold of real news.


I think you are looking at the numbers in a skewed way... if you look at the overall picture... 73% of the stories on CNN are based on some form of truth (facts).................
................... People have to start questioning the stuff they see on TV (wether its CNN or Faux News)... even if they have to be uncomfortable with the fact that the information they are taking in doesn't fall in line with their beliefs.


Well, to me "some form of truth" is not a high enough standard. According to the link Pat provided, 84% of CNN's stories are based on some form of falsehood. To me, that = fake news.

I'm not trying to argue that CNN is more or less fake than Fox. The point is that they're both very fake, which is why I strongly agree with your point that people have to question what they see/hear from these outlets (and others).
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1626
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:17 am

Re: Three Journalists quit CNN

by beaglehound » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:46 pm

Sambo writes: "I think you are looking at the numbers in a skewed way... if you look at the overall picture... 73% of the stories on CNN are based on some form of truth"

Yellow Journalism at its best.... "Yellow journalism based on some form of truth features scandal-mongering, sensationalism, jingoism, or other unethical or unprofessional practices by news media organizations or individual journalists.

Gag I love it! "Some form of truth". Kinda of like when Bill Clinton says, " I did not have sex with that woman Monica Lewinsky. Hmmmm..... There has to be some truth in there somewhere. Yes?
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 5026
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Three Journalists quit CNN

by PTBO Dave » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:49 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
Anyway, I am sick of all this Trump stuff. It has gotten OLD.


Heh, yeah I agree. Trump stuff was old months ago for me.

However, I find the media stuff fascinating. I mean, Trump will be off the scene in a few years (4 or 8), but media manipulation will likely continue. The more scrutiny "Trump stuff" brings to the media and its (lack of) integrity, the better.
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1626
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:17 am

Re: Three Journalists quit CNN

by sambo42 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:52 pm

beaglehound wrote:Sambo writes: "I think you are looking at the numbers in a skewed way... if you look at the overall picture... 73% of the stories on CNN are based on some form of truth"

Yellow Journalism at its best.... "Yellow journalism based on some form of truth features scandal-mongering, sensationalism, jingoism, or other unethical or unprofessional practices by news media organizations or individual journalists.

Gag I love it! "Some form of truth". Kinda of like when Bill Clinton says, " I did not have sex with that woman Monica Lewinsky. Hmmmm..... There has to be some truth in there somewhere. Yes?


It is also based on false narratives, which happens 6x of 10 at Faux news... and the fact is that people can cherry pick the numbers provided by Politifact and analyze them to fit their argument, but I took a look at the overall numbers... so if CNN is yellow journalism, what is Faux News? Jaundiced?
ryan3434: gandhi was a black hating racist
User avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 11256
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:30 am

Re: Three Journalists quit CNN

by beaglehound » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:58 pm

sambo42 wrote:Actually, I'm not a big fan of either... to me Blitzer over dramatizes what he is reporting and Lemon says too much of the cuff for my liking... its hard to watch either of them


CNN went over the top with cr** like "The Situation Room" with Wolf Blitzer. Give me a break. Talk about sensationalizing world events. This is what I mean about hyping it up for ratings. CNN is interested in only one thing: Ratings! Nothing more, nothing less.

You have the Situation Room as if every freaking world event is a crisis. Now every event is Breaking News!

Flash, CNN BREAKING NEWS.... Don lemon just fluffed. Erin Burnett cracked a smile. Wolf Blitzer peed his drawers he was laughing so hard. Next......

The following describes what the REAL Situation Room is all about....

"The Situation Room, officially known as the John F. Kennedy Conference Room is a 5,525-square-foot conference room and intelligence management center in the basement of the West Wing of the White House. It is run by the National Security Council staff for the use of the President of the United States and their advisors (including the National Security Advisor, the Homeland Security Advisor and the White House Chief of Staff) to monitor and deal with crises at home and abroad and to conduct secure communications with outside (often overseas) persons. The Situation Room is equipped with secure, advanced communications equipment for the President to maintain command and control of U.S. forces around the world.

Perhaps Blitzer can get a job emptying waste baskets there.
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 5026
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Three Journalists quit CNN

by beaglehound » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:04 pm

sambo42 wrote:
beaglehound wrote:Sambo writes: "I think you are looking at the numbers in a skewed way... if you look at the overall picture... 73% of the stories on CNN are based on some form of truth"

Yellow Journalism at its best.... "Yellow journalism based on some form of truth features scandal-mongering, sensationalism, jingoism, or other unethical or unprofessional practices by news media organizations or individual journalists.

Gag I love it! "Some form of truth". Kinda of like when Bill Clinton says, " I did not have sex with that woman Monica Lewinsky. Hmmmm..... There has to be some truth in there somewhere. Yes?


It is also based on false narratives, which happens 6x of 10 at Faux news... and the fact is that people can cherry pick the numbers provided by Politifact and analyze them to fit their argument, but I took a look at the overall numbers... so if CNN is yellow journalism, what is Faux News? Jaundiced?


Sambo,

You are attempting to defend CNN by fervently going after Fox news as if I'm trying to defend Fox news. You have not even asked me what my thoughts are about Fox news. Now why might that be?
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 5026
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Three Journalists quit CNN

by KevinRiley2 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:07 pm

beaglehound wrote:Perhaps Blitzer can get a job emptying waste baskets there.

It's unfair to young people to have a 69 year old man taking up 3 hours of programming, every day. Give a young person a chance and go golfing.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8643
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Three Journalists quit CNN

by KevinRiley2 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:09 pm

PTBO Dave wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:
Anyway, I am sick of all this Trump stuff. It has gotten OLD.


Heh, yeah I agree. Trump stuff was old months ago for me.

However, I find the media stuff fascinating. I mean, Trump will be off the scene in a few years (4 or 8), but media manipulation will likely continue. The more scrutiny "Trump stuff" brings to the media and its (lack of) integrity, the better.

I just wish I could continue to look away. I get pulled back in.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8643
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Three Journalists quit CNN

by beaglehound » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:12 pm

West wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote: "...Most Trusted", so I think the guilt is 50/50 and both sides are scum.


"Most Trusted" refers to the fact they are consistently leading in ratings and viewership. Love or hate em they have a massive following and have built one of the great media empires


West,

I'm of the opinion that that phrase is used the same way a vendor might say, " The best fish and chips in town" or "the tastiest hotdogs on earth". His fish and chips may not be the best but there is nothing stopping him from saying it. The other guys hotdogs may not be the tastiest.

I may be wrong but according to these links CNN is not consistently "leading" in ratings and viewership. It may have earned the "most trusted" label back in 2002 but things appear to have changed since then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_cable_news

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/may-2017 ... ork/330617
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 5026
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:41 pm

PreviousNext

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests