Reset the Sniper Record

Reset the Sniper Record

by RedandWhite » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:40 pm

...back to a Canadian holding the honour...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40372403
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Site Staff

Re: Reset the Sniper Record

by jamie » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:58 pm

How is that even possible??
All-Star

by oo DAWG oo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:27 pm

Too scared to get up there and fight eh?

But seriously thats an awesome shot. Much farther than my longest shot.

It would be real interesting to have a chance to try a shot at that distance just to see how close ( or far ) i'd get
Probably miss so far it wouldn't be measurable.
All-Star

by Aerial » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:11 am

Just watched a news clip of this this morning. Wow is all I can say! I don't know much if anything about guns but 3 and a half kms sounds out of this world to me. :o
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:17 am

It is incredible when you think about. For Hamilton peeps it would be like somebody at Tim Hortons Field picking off somebody at First Ontario Centre because they are exactly 3.5 km apart. Remarkable.
All-Star

by Aerial » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:33 am

Pat, didn't realize THF was that close to FOC, close enough in fact that it's possible to shoot someone from that distance and be accurate! From the stadium debacle in Hamilton way back, you would have thought some people who were demanding the stadium be at West Harbour because of proximity to downtown were suggesting that the THF site was way out in the boonies somewhere, say like Orchard Park is to downtown Buffalo. :wink:
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
All-Star

by RedandWhite » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:08 pm

oo DAWG oo wrote:But seriously thats an awesome shot. Much farther than my longest shot.

It would be real interesting to have a chance to try a shot at that distance just to see how close ( or far ) i'd get

...I'm good throwing lead to about 150m with iron sights (scopes are for pussies lol), after that it's pure luck if I'm on target...even the 150 is pushing it...so 3,540m is just plain unfathomable....

...but the stat that the reporter threw in there that made me go 'whaaaa?' was compensating for 'curvature of the earth surface'...so I looked it up...on a featureless plane on the earth's surface (Bonneville Salt Flat for example), you can expect a 7.98" rise for every mile between point A and point B. So a two-mile shot, on top of windage, gravity and diminishing loss of bullet velocity, you theoretically would also have to compensate up almost 16" just to stay 'flat' with the earth's surface...unreal...

...or maybe not...just applying basic geometry here, so hear me out....if Point A is the shooter and the muzzle is say 66" off the ground (6'0" soldier standing less distance from top of head to muzzle) and Point B is the target's head and is also say 66" off the ground, then in a windless zero-gravity perfect vacuum you'd place your shot straight and at the mid point of the shot the bullet would be 50" off the ground, yes? so maybe you don't allow for curvature of the earth, I dunno...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Site Staff

by letsgoticats » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:23 pm

RedandWhite wrote:
oo DAWG oo wrote:But seriously thats an awesome shot. Much farther than my longest shot.

...I'm good throwing lead to about 150m with iron sights (scopes are for pussies lol), after that it's pure luck if I'm on target...even the 150 is pushing it...so 3,540m is just plain unfathomable....

...but the stat that the reporter threw in there that made me go 'whaaaa?' was compensating for 'curvature of the earth surface'...so I looked it up...on a featureless plane on the earth's surface (Bonneville Salt Flat for example), you can expect a 7.98" rise for every mile between point A and point B. So a two-mile shot, on top of windage, gravity and diminishing loss of bullet velocity, you theoretically would also have to compensate up almost 16" just to stay 'flat' with the earth's surface...unreal...

...or maybe not...just applying basic geometry here, so hear me out....if Point A is the shooter and the muzzle is say 66" off the ground (6'0" soldier standing less distance from top of head to muzzle) and Point B is the target's head and is also say 66" off the ground, then in a windless zero-gravity perfect vacuum you'd place your shot straight and at the mid point of the shot the bullet would be 50" off the ground, yes? so maybe you don't allow for curvature of the earth, I dunno...

I wonder what some of those flat-earth people think about facts like this. :lol:
Starter

by jamie » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:21 am

No doubt an amazing shot. Kind of interesting that it's being talked about as a kind of sport. Longest shot ever...to kill someone.
In any event in thinking about this I actually thought Canada was out of the actual fighting in Iraq?
All-Star

by Aerial » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:26 am

R&W, you sure you're not some physics professor or something like that? :o :wink:

letsgo, well we can all create our own reality as we see fit! :D

I thought Canada was out of the actual combat as well jamie. hmmm :?
All-Star