What is "Our Way of Life"?

Re: What is "Our Way of Life"?

by PTBO Dave » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:54 pm

Yup, if you can't discuss the issue, then you distract from it with shots at age, gender, religion, etc. No logical fallacies there.

And if that doesn't work, then wrap yourself in the law and plug your ears the way human rights abusers have always done in the past. I mean, history has proven that laws which allowed some humans to own others, to confiscate the property of others, to eradicate the lives of others, etc. were all inviolate and not worthy of debate.
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by ryan3434 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:02 pm

West wrote:The abortion debate isn't a religious vs. non religious thing. There are plenty of non religious folks who don't agree with abortions and there are religious folks who believe it's ok to abort.

Yup
I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement and physics!

Feminazis.. Not better women just crappy men.
Hall of Famer

by jamie » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:10 pm

Wow all of that because I suggested you move abortion talk into it's own thread? Nothing like hyperbole.
But OK. As you wish.
No distractions...just stating the obvious with the comments.
Males agreeing with males-yup
Overstating, simplifying why women opt for it: yup
Some should be able to disagree with you as it is the accepted medical treatment in Canada-yup

Forgot that it equates to slavery though...and worse.

Kay...those are the rules. Got it now.
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:38 pm

Clearly if one views fetuses as human lives, then allowing tens of thousands of such humans to be killed every year is a great evil justly comparable to past human rights tragedies such as slavery and the holocaust. If you don't believe fetuses are human lives, then such analogies would justifiably be considered hyperbole.

The question, then, is about how we decide to define a human being. In the past, some societies have viewed certain people whom modern societies hold as fully human to be less than human.

Will future societies look back on our society today and shake their heads in disbelief at our attitude toward unborn children the way we do so when we look back at the holocaust and at slavery? I suspect they will.

Will the development of artificial womb technology facilitate such a change in attitude since it could potentially allow aborted fetuses to survive without inconveniencing or harming the parents?
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by beaglehound » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:13 am

jamie wrote:Haha...those were good movies.
Anyway I am an intolerant SOB. Impatient and arrogant too. There saved you some time.

And there are some on here, often you included, who I think are windbags. But that's life hey?

Not sure why you felt the need to denigrate yourself like that Jamie but if you consider me a "windbag" I can live with that. I've been called much worse. :lol:

Are you arrogant? If you are then do something about it. Are you impatient? I don't know. I don't know you but I think most of us are impatient. Some more so than others. Are you an intolerant son of a bi***? If you are then why do you settle for that? Do something about it.
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
All-Star

by DAN38 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:08 am

I guess us old windbags have to try to understand how well brainwashing really works. These youngins have never lived in a society that DOESN'T allow abortion. They lived their whole lives with people telling them it is a right. Their descriptions always use the adjective 'modern' when talking of society. It seems they can't figure out there are other ways to think. Dave keeps pointing out that not all laws are good forever but it seems he is wasting his time. I am against abortion but I willing to concede there may be circumstances where it is acceptable. The other side doesn't or can't budge from their modern society mentality. To them, if it is on the books, it must be OK. After all, we're modern...People who don't believe a fetus is human are in denial. They know it is a living human being. It isn't a tumour or aneurysm that is being removed. That egg you had for breakfast was going to be a chicken. You can deny it all you want.

I found that there approx. 61 countries that allow wide open abortion like Canada. No restrictions. Easy as ordering a double double. Step right up. No lines , no questions. 61 is about a third of the countries on this planet. No protection for the child.

Only 6 countries do now allow abortion no matter what. Totally illegal. Total protection for the child.

The rest, 2/3s, have restrictions and allowances but you can't just abort because you happen to be female and feel like it or it's an inconvenience. Quite a few protections for the child.

Which of the three groups sound modern.

And we think we value human life more than anywhere else. I constantly hear people saying about other countries " well, life is cheap over there."

Will you answer me, jamie ? Are you the poster that was formally known as 'slant; ? Yes or No.
Si vis pacem... para bellum
All-Star

by jamie » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:42 am

It's difficult to have a real two sided conversation about abortion.

When the words used are "brainwashed". And" slaughtering ". "You can't deny" "You know I'm right" as the baseline it makes it difficult to have that discussion. At least for me. This is not the place for it imo.Certainly I'm surprised that you guys think abortion is such a significant part of your defining of "our way of life" .
Dan...there is no answer to your question that will make you content. Feel free to be happy or unhappy with that, it makes no difference to me how you react. That's totally up to you.
All-Star

by Aerial » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:47 am

It's difficult to have a real two sided conversation about abortion

Well said jamie. :thup:
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
All-Star

by RedandWhite » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

DAN38 wrote:Will you answer me, jamie ?

...apparently, no
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Site Staff

by PTBO Dave » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:51 am

If a person views fetuses as human life, then how could that person not view the annual state-sanctioned killing of tens of thousands of human lives to be a significant defining characteristic of life in that state?

Is the idea that we're good at hockey or that we have lots of mosquitoes or that we love coffee and dooughnuts supposed overshadow those deaths in significance?
-Confucius

All-Star

by RedandWhite » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:54 am

...this isn't based on any wide spread data source, only my own personal experience, but every woman I've ever known that permitted an unplanned pregnancy (some the result of a rape) to come to fruition have never expressed remorse for their decision, and I have yet to meet a woman that has told me 'that abortion I got years ago was the best decision of my life'...anecdotal of course, but telling...
Site Staff

by PTBO Dave » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:55 am

Aerial wrote:

Just a thought: one could try to engage in that conversation by focusing on the topic at hand rather than by dismissing the other side based on age, gender, or religion.
-Confucius

All-Star

by RedandWhite » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:59 am

...there you go again dave, trying to be all likeable and popular....
Site Staff

by West » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:59 am

PTBO Dave wrote:
Aerial wrote:

Just a thought: one could try to engage in that conversation by focusing on the topic at hand rather than by dismissing the other side based on age, gender, or religion.

Good point Dave.
All-Star

by beaglehound » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:17 am

RedandWhite wrote:...this isn't based on any wide spread data source, only my own personal experience, but every woman I've ever known that permitted an unplanned pregnancy (some the result of a rape) to come to fruition have never expressed remorse for their decision, and I have yet to meet a woman that has told me 'that abortion I got years ago was the best decision of my life'...anecdotal of course, but telling...

:thup:

My wife's sister has a 27 year old son. This young man is an incredibly good looking fellow and his body is buffed to the nines! As he was growing up we looked forward to what he might decide to do with his life. He began attending university and figured he'd become a psychologist. He decided to do a career change and has now completed his nursing degree. He has his heart set on being a pediatric nurse. He loves children and has a tremendous servant's heart.
This young man could have any woman he wants. In fact, as family we tease him that when he finally lands a job he is going to drive the female nurses crazy. They will want to line up to date him. This young fellow has got it all and more importantly he has got it all together.

But here is the kicker....

When his mother was pregnant with him she was seriously considering aborting him. I don't know what the circumstances were at the time but I can tell you this much. This young fellow has been a wonderful blessing to his mother and to all he comes into contact with. We are so grateful she made the right decision 27 years ago.
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
All-Star

PreviousNext