What is "Our Way of Life"?

What is "Our Way of Life"?

by jamie » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:31 am

I hear the phrase "Our Way Of Life" all the time, uttered both here in Canada and in the US. People all nod in unison and solemnity.
But what does it mean? What is our way of life?
All-Star

Re: What is "Our Way of Life"?

by Liquor Kitty » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:38 am

My way of life and a small circle of friends and acquaintances.
Veteran

by beaglehound » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:02 pm

According to the Merriam Webster site it means:

“The habits, customs, and beliefs of a particular person or group of people

People who choose to live in the bush and live off the land so to speak have a distinct way of life compared to city urban dwellers.

Canadian society’s way of life varies depending on where one lives. I would think living in Vancouver would reflect a way of life quite different than someone living in a small town on Newfoundland.

As a society Canada’s way of life [and that of the U.S.] is quite distinct from those living in China or Russia or Israel. There would common traits for sure there are many customs practised in Muslim country that simply do not define Canada or America’s way of life.

I would say that any country’s way of life, not just Canada’s or America’s although dynamic reveals patterns and consistencies that define it. For example:

- We drive on the opposite side of the road compared to Britain, Australia
- The act of tipping in a restaurant is a custom if not a requirement in Canada. In Japan it is frowned upon
- Our attitude towards women is quite different than in Middle Eastern countries
- In the U.S. the right to bear arms is a given. Not so in Canada
- Canadian law is far more lenient than American law

I think your question is a good question because it is asking what defines a Canadian or an American or what does it mean to be a Canadian or an American. This is becoming more difficult to answer because the Canadian way of life compared to previous generations has changed considerably and continues to change. The institution of marriage, the concept of family, our perception of law enforcement, how we deal with the criminal element, our attitude towards immigration are all elements that I believe are changing and these changes are re-defining our way of life.
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
All-Star

by ryan3434 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:36 pm

Well it certainly isnt beheading people and throwin gays off buildings.
I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement and physics!

Feminazis.. Not better women just crappy men.
Hall of Famer

by DAN38 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:43 am

"Our Way of Life" also includes the ability to end the life of an unborn innocent child with nary the flutter of an eyelash....Other "Ways of Life" do wonder about this.

I find it highly ironic that the Liberal Government is being accused of delaying the euthanasia bill by using 'isolated and rare' incidents as an argument against. YET the abortion law was passed using 'isolated and rare' incidents as examples. Pregnancy from 'rape and incest' is very 'rare and isolated' compared to the number of abortions performed each day, each year.

Maybe it's just me but I thought Our Way of Life was to help people live, not die. We always look at other countries and say"life is cheap over there." We should be looking at ourselves first.
Si vis pacem... para bellum
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:36 am

ryan3434 wrote:Well it certainly isnt beheading people and throwin gays off buildings.

That's racist.

What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by GernB » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:59 am

DAN38 wrote:"Our Way of Life" also includes the ability to end the life of an unborn innocent child with nary the flutter of an eyelash....Other "Ways of Life" do wonder about this.

I find it highly ironic that the Liberal Government is being accused of delaying the euthanasia bill by using 'isolated and rare' incidents as an argument against. YET the abortion law was passed using 'isolated and rare' incidents as examples. Pregnancy from 'rape and incest' is very 'rare and isolated' compared to the number of abortions performed each day, each year.

Maybe it's just me but I thought Our Way of Life was to help people live, not die. We always look at other countries and say"life is cheap over there." We should be looking at ourselves first.

What abortion law would that be? AFAIK, there is no abortion law in this country whatsoever. The Supreme Court declared the then-extant law unconstitutional, putting the onus on Parliament to come up with a new law, which it hasn't done.
Veteran

by beaglehound » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:59 am

GernB wrote:
DAN38 wrote:"Our Way of Life" also includes the ability to end the life of an unborn innocent child with nary the flutter of an eyelash....Other "Ways of Life" do wonder about this.

What abortion law would that be? AFAIK, there is no abortion law in this country whatsoever. The Supreme Court declared the then-extant law unconstitutional, putting the onus on Parliament to come up with a new law, which it hasn't done.

You are correct GernB. In 1969 the governing Liberals passed an abortion law. It was ruled unconstitutional in 1988. Since that year there is no abortion "law" governing abortion. However, since there is no abortion law governing this highly charged subject Dan makes a very good point...

"Our Way of Life" also includes the ability to end the life of an unborn innocent child with nary the flutter of an eyelash"
All-Star

by DAN38 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:04 pm

GernB wrote:

Aw c'mon Gern, you know what I meant... You are right though. I should have worded that correctly. Having no law means it's wide open.

Thanks Beagle... The point of my post was really about the irony of using the same type of points BOTH for and against ending the life of someone.
All-Star

by Aerial » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:10 pm

DAN38 wrote:
Maybe it's just me but I thought Our Way of Life was to help people live, not die.

True enough although the way I see it, Our Way of Life should be to help people live a more dignified life and be able to have a dignified death as part of this life as well since, as many say, dying is part of living.
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
All-Star

by beaglehound » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:34 pm

Aerial wrote:
DAN38 wrote:
Maybe it's just me but I thought Our Way of Life was to help people live, not die.

True enough although the way I see it, Our Way of Life should be to help people live a more dignified life and be able to have a dignified death as part of this life as well since, as many say, dying is part of living.

Aerial,

I'm pretty sure Dan was speaking in the context of abortions per se when he said that. If I'm not mistaken you are referring to euthanasia. I don't know what Dan's views are on that particular subject but suffice it to say that when you say "Our Way of Life should be to help people live a more dignified life and be able to have a dignified death" I agree however in the context of how Dan was commenting about abortion there is nothing dignifying about aborting a life that has not even had a chance to take its first breath let alone have a more dignified life.
All-Star

by GernB » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: no abortion law....chalk it up to cowardly politicians on both sides of the spectrum who are so frightened of offending someone or of losing a few votes that they won't propose even a minimally restrictive law. Without actually researching the subject I'm sure that I've read that Canada is the only western nation that doesn't have at least some restrictions on abortion. Someone please correct me if that's wrong.
Veteran

by DAN38 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:25 pm

Aerial wrote:
DAN38 wrote:

The hypocrisy of not allowing capital punishment yet allowing abortion has always been a sore spot with me as Beagle can well attest if he remembers our discussion many years ago. I was against abortion and for CP. I now realize that the taking of any life is wrong. I am against CP. So if I believe the taking of any life is wrong, I therefore am against euthanasia. I have to be consistent in my beliefs. If we can't take the life of a scum mass murderer then I don't see how we can justify taking any life. I know all the excuses and reasons but I don't agree..... Another thing is, looking how abortion is rampant now, what's to say euthanasia won't be abused as well ?

When euthanasia is legal (and it will be) we will have a system that allows people to commit suicide when they want and to murder unborn children when they want, but protects the life of someone (a killer) who has taken other innocent people's lives. People that wanted to live but were not given the chance. That sounds pretty messed up to me.

I think we should be assisting people to live, not die.
All-Star

by Aerial » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:44 pm

Would a child's life be dignified though if the mother was a drug addict and living a life living in alleyways beyond help but wanted to have the child and raise the child in that environment? If I was that "child to be", I can guarantee you that I wish I was aborted. To me that is much more dignified,

That said, I fully respect those with religious views that are agains't abortion under practically any circumstance. I don't agree with them but I do fully respect their views.

Also, we should be assisting the terminally ill to end their life in a dignified manner if they wish. Again I know some don't agree with this but that is my point of view.

Difficult topic for any politician to handle, that's for sure. I also fully respect any politician that is very religious and is open about that and wants to structure policy based on that, as long as they are open and fully transparent. Politicians are people afterall. They shouldn't have to compromise on these types of issues because their personal views don't fit nicely with overall party views.
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
All-Star

by DAN38 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:56 pm

I feel that ALL life is dignified. I don't see degrees of dignity... It's how WE choose to live that life that denigrates it.
All-Star

Next