Bill Maher

Re: Bill Maher

by bobo82 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:45 am

beaglehound wrote:
sambo42 wrote:
If African Americans (or whatever you want to call them) want whites to stop using the N-word, then they have to stop using it as well... and they don't use it to describe another in a complimentary way either... if the word is unacceptable, then it has to be that way for everyone... not just whites

:thup:

I agree 100% Sambo . For example , It would be no different than the Gay community deciding to suddenly say that the use of the word "faggot" has been taken back by them and is an accepted word BUT only as long as it's used in their own social circles and the person(s) using the word are Gay BUT using the word in general by someone else is deemed offensive . Simply put , you can't have it both ways , unacceptable is unacceptable.......end of discussion , period .
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

All-Star

by beaglehound » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:45 am

bobo82 wrote:
beaglehound wrote:
sambo42 wrote:
If African Americans (or whatever you want to call them) want whites to stop using the N-word, then they have to stop using it as well... and they don't use it to describe another in a complimentary way either... if the word is unacceptable, then it has to be that way for everyone... not just whites

:thup:

I agree 100% Sambo . For example , It would be no different than the Gay community deciding to suddenly say that the use of the word "faggot" has been taken back by them and is an accepted word BUT only as long as it's used in their own social circles and the person(s) using the word are Gay BUT using the word in general by someone else is deemed offensive . Simply put , you can't have it both ways , unacceptable is unacceptable.......end of discussion , period .

Very good Bobo. At what point has political correctness gone mad? Earlier TravelPat implied that the black community should be the ones to decide when using the N word is acceptable or not acceptable. Since when? It is not a word that I would use because it is considered an insulting and contemptuous term for a black person. But following TravelPat's reasoning, if a black person calls another black person a Ni**** it is not an insult nor is it expressing contempt therefore it makes it okay. Really? Ice T's chastisement of Bill Maher the ignoramus was hypocritical and in my opinion undermines what society is hoping to achieve. Ice T was implying that blacks have a monopoly on the use of the term and it is off limits for whites to use. Really? Isn't that stupid logic essentially taking a step backwards. It is basically saying, "Hey bro, if I'm black and I want to denigrate my own kind what's it to you?" Duh.

I would apply the same reasoning to the term "faggot" although that expression when used in the right context is quite acceptable in British circles as it is a common food. Here in Canada and the U.S. we have been conditioned to understand the connotation of the term faggot in the context of one's sexual orientation. So does this mean that when a gay person calls another gay person a faggot it is quite alright because the gay person is not meaning it in the same way a straight person would intend on using it? That appears to be the case. It is sensibilities gone amuck I would say but this is the culture we all have to live in.

Take a look at the following link and you'll get an idea how crazy political correctness has gone. it shows a picture of the food dish "faggots" given its context but the person who posted it was banned by Facebook. There is nothing offensive about it but we have been conditioned to believe that if ever the term is used it is only being used in the context of sexual orientation. Nonsense!

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/11/01/ma ... k-faggots/
Last edited by beaglehound on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
All-Star

by Aerial » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:50 am

Exactly. I would think as humans we have basic human rights to see that any term being used by anyone to denigrate someone or some group can be called out at any time, by anyone. Of course there is a fine line sometimes between humour and sarcasm as well and that needs to be realized. Social media companies and organizations need to understand that as well although I suppose that can be difficult with the volume of social media these days and the ability to screen every last post.

Excellent link there beagle.
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
All-Star

by beaglehound » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Aerial wrote:Exactly. I would think as humans we have basic human rights to see that any term being used by anyone to denigrate someone or some group can be called out at any time, by anyone. Of course there is a fine line sometimes between humour and sarcasm as well and that needs to be realized. Social media companies and organizations need to understand that as well although I suppose that can be difficult with the volume of social media these days and the ability to screen every last post.

Excellent link there beagle.

Absolutely Aerial. Anyone who denigrate someone or some group can be called out at any time, by anyone. If I were sitting in a restaurant having a meal with some friends and at the table next to us sat a group of gay fellows enjoying their meal and one of their gay buddies walked in and said, " Hey faggots how ya all doin?" you would very likely be able to hear a pin drop because it was would be perceived by many as discriminatory and rightly so. I would consider it socially unacceptable, rude and totally inappropriate even though it was one gay calling his gay friends "faggots".

Re: Humour and sarcasm...

It has gone too far Aerial. Life is not a sit-com and yet so many try to mimic what they see. I certainly have used humour and sarcasm as an ice breaker. There is nothing like cracking up the person a little to take the edge off. But when does it go too far? When should one exercise better judgement and refrain? When is getting a chuckle and a few laughs no longer worth it? Bill Meher should be able to answer that. When sarcasm and humour are used one is always taking a risk. A risk that it could be offensive or misunderstood. If it is it is all on the user. It needs to be used with good judgement and with discretion. Bill Maher failed miserably on both counts all to get a few cheap laughs. Sometimes it is better to use a little discretion and not live one's life with a sit-com mentality.

We have a responsibility to our children to maintain a certain decorum and elegance when speaking. So does media tv programming and wingnuts like Bill Maher. Too many kids today mimic what they see on tv. There are comedy programs that belittle dad and make him out to be the bafoon of the family instead of the head of the household responsible for good leadership. Kids would see these programs and mimic them. The result? They lacked discernment and good judgement and before you know it they were making their own parents the brunt of inappropriate jokes and jibes all because the kids thought it was cool to talk like this. This has to change.
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
All-Star

Previous