Bill Maher

Re: Bill Maher

by jamie » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:59 am

It was a great move by Maher. Talk about non cynical damage control. I thought the discussion was terrific about a really touchy subject.
And it's clearly totally different when a writer uses it in a historical context. The authors mentioned used the terms as it was used by the characters depicted in their time, language and beliefs.
All-Star
 
Posts: 1325
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:34 pm

Re: Bill Maher

by ryan3434 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:16 pm

RedandWhite wrote:...you didn't listen to the interview did you? just admit it...

I didnt listen.
I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement and physics!

Feminazis.. Not better women just crappy men.
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 10092
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:09 am

Re: Bill Maher

by KevinRiley2 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:18 pm

ryan3434 wrote:
RedandWhite wrote:...you didn't listen to the interview did you? just admit it...

I didnt listen.

:lol:
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8687
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Bill Maher

by ryan3434 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:23 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:The N word was (and is) a derogatory slur against black people.

I think they have the right to determine what uses of it they consider acceptable.

Context and intent..

This was a joke.
Sad word we live in when everyone is just looking for a reason to get offended.

Would anyone care if Steve Harvey made this joke.

If anything Maher was insulting him self.. Even the feild slaves hated the house slaves lol
I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement and physics!

Feminazis.. Not better women just crappy men.
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 10092
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:09 am

Re: Bill Maher

by KevinRiley2 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:28 pm

ryan3434 wrote:
TravelPat1 wrote:The N word was (and is) a derogatory slur against black people.

I think they have the right to determine what uses of it they consider acceptable.

Context and intent..

This was a joke.
Sad word we live in when everyone is just looking for a reason to get offended.

Would anyone care if Steve Harvey made this joke.

If anything Maher was insulting him self.. Even the feild slaves hated the house slaves lol

I thought it was in bad taste and ill-timed. It felt like Bill Maher had this line in his repertoire and was just waiting for a time to use it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGaHqk2NJPI

I mean.... We've all been there. Thought of something funny and then waited for the right moment to spring it on everyone. Unfortunately, for Bill Maher, it wasn't funny and felt forced.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8687
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Bill Maher

by ryan3434 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:00 pm

Meh
I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement and physics!

Feminazis.. Not better women just crappy men.
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 10092
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:09 am

Re: Bill Maher

by KevinRiley2 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:57 pm

ryan3434 wrote:Meh

Yup.

Plus, I'm sure Maher's comment, Friday night, about Jared Kushner made the Left happy.
I know it made me happy.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8687
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Bill Maher

by ryan3434 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:03 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
ryan3434 wrote:Meh

Yup.

Plus, I'm sure Maher's comment, Friday night, about Jared Kushner made the Left happy.
I know it made me happy.

The left is hyprocrites.
They are letting Maher off if this was a trump supporter theyd be fired right away or be forced to step down.

The right needs to finds its balls and stand up to bullies
I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement and physics!

Feminazis.. Not better women just crappy men.
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 10092
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:09 am

Re: Bill Maher

by KevinRiley2 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:58 pm

ryan3434 wrote:The left is hyprocrites.
They are letting Maher off if this was a trump supporter theyd be fired right away or be forced to step down.

A lot of truth to that.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8687
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Bill Maher

by Liquor Kitty » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:27 am

Ice Cube ripped him a new hole.
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 955
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:47 am

Re: Bill Maher

by KevinRiley2 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:27 am

Liquor Kitty wrote:Ice Cube ripped him a new hole.

Meh. He went on too long and came across as very self important.
Last edited by KevinRiley2 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8687
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Bill Maher

by EastVanMark » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:45 pm

I prefer watching his cousin Brett any day of the week
All-Star
 
Posts: 3263
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:47 pm
Location: East Van

Re: Bill Maher

by beaglehound » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:13 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
Is this scene racist?...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzSgqYV5F9Q


I don't know Kevin but it had its humorous moments that's for sure. :rockin:
Last edited by beaglehound on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 5047
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Bill Maher

by sambo42 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:43 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
ryan3434 wrote:The left is hyprocrites.
They are letting Maher off if this was a trump supporter theyd be fired right away or be forced to step down.

A lot of truth to that.


If African Americans (or whatever you want to call them) want whites to stop using the N-word, then they have to stop using it as well... and they don't use it to describe another in a complimentary way either... if the word is unacceptable, then it has to be that way for everyone... not just whites
ryan3434: gandhi was a black hating racist
User avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 11260
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:30 am

Re: Bill Maher

by beaglehound » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:03 pm

sambo42 wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:
ryan3434 wrote:The left is hyprocrites.
They are letting Maher off if this was a trump supporter theyd be fired right away or be forced to step down.

A lot of truth to that.


If African Americans (or whatever you want to call them) want whites to stop using the N-word, then they have to stop using it as well... and they don't use it to describe another in a complimentary way either... if the word is unacceptable, then it has to be that way for everyone... not just whites


:thup:
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 5047
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:41 pm

PreviousNext

Users browsing this forum: traciefw60 and 13 guests