Big Data - and democracy

Big Data - and democracy

by TravelPat1 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:34 am

This is a long read - but worth the read.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... are_btn_fb
All-Star

Re: Big Data - and democracy

by Aerial » Sat May 13, 2017 10:17 am

Will read it Pat. From this headline paragraph:

A shadowy global operation involving big data, billionaire friends of Trump and the disparate forces of the Leave campaign influenced the result of the EU referendum. As Britain heads to the polls again, is our electoral process still fit for purpose?

I would say that media is the biggest influence in so many ways in our society but that being said, even an anti-Trump media blitz still couldn't get Hillary voted in as POTUS. Which, come to think of it, is quite astonishing.
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Sat May 13, 2017 10:31 am

Earl - the article is looking in this case at the use (abuse?) of data to influence recent elections in a certain direction - but the alarming thing is how this can be used in either direction - basically outside of normal election campaign rules and restrictions - without us knowing it as it is happening.

Add this to how one sided leaks of illegally obtained private information can impact an election as we saw in the USA and was attempted again in France - and it is clear election officials have huge challenges now in trying to run 'fair' elections.
All-Star

by Aerial » Sat May 13, 2017 10:49 am

Interesting. As you say, without us knowing it's happening. A concern no doubt. Reminds me of false negatives when looking or searching for data - true positives, no problem as we see what's retrieved and know ; true negatives, no problem as what isn't retrieved and don't need to know for the inquiry ; false positives, no problem as while we didn't want this information retrieved we at least know it - BUT the biggest problem are false negatives, what should have been retrieved for our inquiry that would make a difference to our knowledge and thought processes but weren't retrieved.

It seems big data knows how to keep their important data and algorithms hidden from us as we look for information or us have information as we search to learn. Not good as we should or almost need that information to make the best decisions. False negatives in a way. :?

It's a long article but will read it in full Pat for sure. Anyways, this is what I'm talking about related to this article, at least I think it's related:

https://e-discoveryteam.com/2012/08/26/ ... explained/
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde
All-Star