Ontario - Balanced budget for first time in 10 years.

Ontario - Balanced budget for first time in 10 years.

by TravelPat1 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:09 am

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... e34818793/

Ontarians will be heading to the polls next June, and with many in the mood for change, this week’s budget marks the start of a long campaign by Premier Kathleen Wynne and her Liberals to win voters back.

Nine years of consecutive deficits will come to an end with Finance Minister Charles Sousa’s pledge to balance the books, giving the Liberals some wiggle room to spend new money over the next year.

“In a sense, the 2017 budget represents the start of a new era. We’re no longer working to eliminate the deficit. But our principles remain the same: to build Ontario up in a balanced way,” Mr. Sousa has said.

After unveiling an expensive hydro rebate program and an aggressive housing strategy over the past year, the budget will pour new money into health care. There will also be a few goodies for target groups, such as the already announced public transit tax credit for seniors and extra funds for childcare.

But will a basically good news budget reverse this? I doubt it.
All-Star

Re: Ontario - Balanced budget for first time in 10 years.

by KevinRiley2 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:16 am

TravelPat1 wrote:http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/six-things-you-need-to-know-ahead-of-ontario-budget/article34818793/

Ontarians will be heading to the polls next June, and with many in the mood for change, this week’s budget marks the start of a long campaign by Premier Kathleen Wynne and her Liberals to win voters back.

Nine years of consecutive deficits will come to an end with Finance Minister Charles Sousa’s pledge to balance the books, giving the Liberals some wiggle room to spend new money over the next year.

“In a sense, the 2017 budget represents the start of a new era. We’re no longer working to eliminate the deficit. But our principles remain the same: to build Ontario up in a balanced way,” Mr. Sousa has said.

After unveiling an expensive hydro rebate program and an aggressive housing strategy over the past year, the budget will pour new money into health care. There will also be a few goodies for target groups, such as the already announced public transit tax credit for seniors and extra funds for childcare.

But will a basically good news budget reverse this? I doubt it.

If they truly balanced it, good for them. :thup: They are getting my vote in the next election.
All-Star

by West » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:33 am

Now they'll just need to deal with that 300 billion worth of debt they've accumulated.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:35 am

West wrote:Now they'll just need to deal with that 300 billion worth of debt they've accumulated.

Agree. Something needs to be done. Hopefully we can grow our way out of it. I'm okay with slow and steady, however, if we get a recession... it could get UGLY.
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:49 am

West wrote:Now they'll just need to deal with that 300 billion worth of debt they've accumulated.

True, but eliminating deficits is the first step. Next year, maybe a surplus to start paying down the debt?
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:00 am

PTBO Dave wrote:

True, but eliminating deficits is the first step. Next year, maybe a surplus to start paying down the debt?

Even if they just break even, every year, the debt, as a percentage of GDP, will drop. I'm okay with that. However, if there is a recession, everything goes to heck.
All-Star

by West » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:04 pm

PTBO Dave wrote:

True.

I just read the debt of Ontario is more than the state of California. It's insane.
All-Star

by beaglehound » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:01 pm

West wrote:
PTBO Dave wrote:

True.

I just read the debt of Ontario is more than the state of California. It's insane.

Is this where we say, " Everything in this country is going to "pot"?
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:03 pm

The comments, on different newspaper sites, about the balancing of the budget are pathetic. Same old, same old, back and forth, and then, out of no where, someone mentions Trump. :roll:
All-Star

by ryan3434 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:52 pm

Well lets give Horse face a cookie than..
Probably quite easy when you keep coming up with ways to tax your citizens..

How long will our kids be paying for hydro bill.. Eek when that sucker comes due. Hopefully i will be living with my family in PEI by than.. Right next door to liquor Kitty
I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement and physics!

Feminazis.. Not better women just crappy men.
Hall of Famer

by Liquor Kitty » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:22 am

ryan3434 wrote: Hopefully I will be living with my family in PEI by than.. Right next door to Liquor Kitty

Check out what you get here on PEI for the $$$$ (but don't check the real estate around where I live :P)

I lived in Ontario up until 11 years ago, now I live on 80 acres, ocean front on this beautiful island.
Veteran

by TravelPat1 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:14 am

One interesting new thing in the budget - prescription drugs will be covered for anybody under 25. I'm sure this is just the next step in what eventually will see prescription drugs covered for everybody. The province already covered it for those on social assistance and for the 3 million seniors in the province.

Currently, the Ontario Drug Plan (ODP) covers prescription drug costs for approximately 900,000 families on social assistance and another three million seniors.

If approved, the new program would roll out Jan. 1, 2018 — and would cover 4,400 drugs for the province's four million children and young adults. The medications are the same already included in the ODP, which includes treatment for acute and chronic illness, as well as certain pediatric cancers.

Provincial health department staff could not provide information about all the cancer treatments available under the plan. But, given that many private insurers have limited coverage for at-home oncology care, the move could theoretically save parents thousands of dollars per month, as taxpayers cover the cost.

In-hospital cancer treatment and medication is already covered by OHIP.

Dr. Danielle Martin, a family doctor and the vice-president of medical affairs and health system solutions at Women's College, described the expansion of pharmacare as a "huge improvement" to the current system.

In her practice, she said she's experienced "many heartbreaking moments" when families are uncertain they can pay for puffers or insulin for their children – or when young women aren't sure how to pay for birth control pills.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:48 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:One interesting new thing in the budget - prescription drugs will be covered for anybody under 25. I'm sure this is just the next step in what eventually will see prescription drugs covered for everybody. The province already covered it for those on social assistance and for the 3 million seniors in the province.

Currently, the Ontario Drug Plan (ODP) covers prescription drug costs for approximately 900,000 families on social assistance and another three million seniors.

If approved, the new program would roll out Jan. 1, 2018 — and would cover 4,400 drugs for the province's four million children and young adults. The medications are the same already included in the ODP, which includes treatment for acute and chronic illness, as well as certain pediatric cancers.

Provincial health department staff could not provide information about all the cancer treatments available under the plan. But, given that many private insurers have limited coverage for at-home oncology care, the move could theoretically save parents thousands of dollars per month, as taxpayers cover the cost.

In-hospital cancer treatment and medication is already covered by OHIP.

Dr. Danielle Martin, a family doctor and the vice-president of medical affairs and health system solutions at Women's College, described the expansion of pharmacare as a "huge improvement" to the current system.

In her practice, she said she's experienced "many heartbreaking moments" when families are uncertain they can pay for puffers or insulin for their children – or when young women aren't sure how to pay for birth control pills.

I noticed that, too. A positive step but not as impressive as it looks considering most people under 25 use very few drugs.

The program should be Federal. It would save the country a ton of money.
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:24 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:I noticed that, too. A positive step but not as impressive as it looks considering most people under 25 use very few drugs.

You may be surprised at how many do have some sort of prescription Kevin. Especially among females in the 15-24 age bracket where an estimated 40% had used a pescription medication of some sort within 2 days of doing a survey on prescription use. (compared to just 12% for males). I suspect birth control pills might be a big chunk of the difference

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-003-x/2 ... l1-eng.htm
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:36 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:I noticed that, too. A positive step but not as impressive as it looks considering most people under 25 use very few drugs.

You may be surprised at how many do have some sort of prescription Kevin. Especially among females in the 15-24 age bracket where an estimated 40% had used a pescription medication of some sort within 2 days of doing a survey on prescription use. (compared to just 12% for males). I suspect birth control pills might be a big chunk of the difference.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-003-x/2 ... l1-eng.htm

That's true. I never thought about that. I assumed Birth Control was not covered.
All-Star