Poll : Would You Work? If So, How Much?

If You Had a Guarenteed Income, that covered ALL your NEEDS, how much would you work?

1) NONE - I prefer a simple life and don`t need extras.
33%
2) 10 Hours A Week - a little spending money.
11%
3) 20 Hours A Week - just enough for a few of the finer things.
22%
4) 40 Hours A Week - I love my job and would keep working!
22%
5) More Than 40 Hours - Work keeps you alive. Give me the $$$$!!!
11%

Total votes : 9

Poll : Would You Work? If So, How Much?

by KevinRiley2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:02 am

Ontario is following Finland`s lead and introducing Basic Guaranteed Income - 4,000 people. While they are not saying it, they are worried about A.I. and Robots taking jobs and how people will survive - thus the pilot projects.

Now, I know some people LOVE to work. Some LIKE their jobs. Others HATE their jobs with a passion.

So... If you were Guaranteed a Basic Income (say $30K per year, and in my magical world, there is no worry of inflation, and your medical costs are covered) where all of your NEEDS were taken care of, would you work and how much?

As someone who is retired, I can honestly say, I would have to be in pretty bad shape before I would return to work so I will answer Zero to the poll. What about you?
All-Star

Re: Poll : Would You Work? If So, How Much?

by oo DAWG oo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:39 am

What if you were 25
All-Star

by West » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:43 am

40 hours. I think I'd go insane if I didn't work at this point in my life.
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:36 am

I voted 10 hours, but I'd probably go somewhere between 10 and 20 since I like my job enough and would expect the government to go bankrupt and would not want to be left without any savings should that happen. Of course, I'd consider keeping that income to myself, away from the controlling eyes of Big Brother.
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by Aerial » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:46 am

I think the key, for myself at least, is the word 'needs'. What does that mean really? Some people feel a need to travel a few times a year out of country and go down south or wherever to relax and get away from it, maybe they have a stressful job and family commitments etc, all while others see this as a luxury and not needed.

Have been forcefully retired for a couple of years now and not working at all but living on a combined pension and early CPP earning me $34,000 yearly, I am fine, house paid for and my wife works 3 days a week earning about $50,000, and we have no children and haven't done much travelling at all for years for a few reasons. Are we happy? Quite happy, we can afford to eat fine er ok, go out to a restaurant maybe once every month or two.

With our savings, our financial advisor has said my wife can retire at the end of this year with our low-end lifestyle when she will be 56 and she'll be able to get about $1000 a month with her pension. She isn't sure what to do because she also gets benefits like dental with that and we have 4 cats to feed and vet bills for them. Not the same of course as raising a family and I understand that. I really do appreciate how raising a family has so many financial concerns and the stress that that can result in. My Mom and Dad were awesome raising 5 kids on a very average income at the time and my Mom was a stay-at-hom Mom back in the day. :o

I can tell you though while I miss working to some extent particularly interacting with some very nice people I miss, I am not bored at all. And I know she wouldn't be bored either.
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde
All-Star

by Liquor Kitty » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:54 am

I'm retiring @ a young age next February 2018 (been in the same occupation since I was a little pecker). I hate to say it, but my wife & I are well off, and the cost of living on PEI (Dog's Country) is cheap.
I might just get a couple days a week "job" (hardware/lumber store), or a volunteer "job" (Humane Society) to keep myself out there, so I can hear the neighbourhood BS.
I have a fantasy of telling my new boss to bugger off, not having to worry about it! :lol:
Veteran

by Aerial » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:11 pm

Liquor, no need to feel any need to apologize for being well off. People with lots of extra money, take Bill Gates as an example of the very, very well off :) , are able to do so much for the world giving it to organizations and causes and just spending it helping to keep people working.
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:33 pm

oo DAWG oo wrote:What if you were 25

25 hours or 25 years old?
West wrote:40 hours. I think I'd go insane if I didn't work at this point in my life.

God bless you for it. You're a better man than me.
PTBO Dave wrote:...expect the government to go bankrupt and would not want to be left without any savings should that happen. Of course, I'd consider keeping that income to myself, away from the controlling eyes of Big Brother.

Therein lies the problem. How does the government print money, at such a huge rate, without causing inflation or going bankrupt. However, the other alternative is people starve. Obviously, people smarter than me will come up with a system.
Aerial wrote:I think the key, for myself at least, is the word 'needs'.

As God is my witness, I KNEW YOU would ask this, Earl (smile).

Needs would be food, lodging, clothing, medical, etc. The basics.

Keep in mind that if/when robotics take over, whether it's driving a truck or making your pizza, prices are expected to fall - heavy deflation. So, having the extras won't be as expensive.

Anyway, it will be an interesting world.
Liquor Kitty wrote:I'm retiring @ a young age next February 2018 (been in the same occupation since I was a little pecker). I hate to say it, but my wife & I are well off, and the cost of living on PEI (Dog's Country) is cheap.
I might just get a couple days a week "job" (hardware/lumber store), or a volunteer "job" (Humane Society) to keep myself out there, so I can hear the neighbourhood BS.
I have a fantasy of telling my new boss to bugger off, not having to worry about it! :lol:

Good for you!
Last edited by KevinRiley2 on Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All-Star

by oo DAWG oo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:38 pm

25 years old...or would you still sit around and collect welfare for no work?

Here got something for ya..while your collecting your monthly check you can go around town pretending your a hard worker
http://www.news4jax.com/news/weird-news/nordstrom-selling-fake-muddy-jeans-for-425
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:43 pm

oo DAWG oo wrote:25 years old...or would you still sit around and collect welfare for no work?

The fear is there will be few, if any jobs, in the future, so people will receive the Guaranteed Basic Income for life. Think of a Star Trek scenario.
All-Star

by oo DAWG oo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:47 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
oo DAWG oo wrote:25 years old...or would you still sit around and collect welfare for no work?

The fear is there will be few, if any jobs, in the future, so people will receive the Guaranteed Basic Income for life. Think of a Star Trek scenario.

Youd have replicators then no need for basic income
All-Star

by Aerial » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:56 pm

As God is my witness, I KNEW YOU would ask this, Earl (smile)

Is that a compliment Kevin? Ok, don't answer that. Yes, a basic income would not include anything like tickets for pro sports, concerts, vacations with flying or travelling any distance or hotel rooms etc.

Star Trek replicators, like that idea dawg!
All-Star

by ryan3434 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:29 pm

I refuse to participate in your poll.. Commie
I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement and physics!

Feminazis.. Not better women just crappy men.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:38 pm

Aerial wrote:
As God is my witness, I KNEW YOU would ask this, Earl (smile)

Is that a compliment Kevin? Ok, don't answer that. Yes, a basic income would not include anything like tickets for pro sports, concerts, vacations with flying or travelling any distance or hotel rooms etc.

Star Trek replicators, like that idea dawg!

Not a compliment or a put down. I just thought, "Earl will want to know ALL the details of what he's getting". I bet you love to negotiate/haggle. (smile).
oo DAWG oo wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:

Youd have replicators then no need for basic income

Everything in good time. Heck, with 3D printers, we're getting there.
ryan3434 wrote:I refuse to participate in your poll.. Commie

:lol:

I allowed the option of changing your vote, unlike the Trump poll, just for you.
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:22 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:

It will/would be interesting to see what happens. My guess is that people would make jobs for themselves and turn their hobbies or skills into commodities, whether that is superior cooking, art/storytelling, athletics, gardening, the oldest profession, etc. Perhaps everything above basic needs will revert to a form of barter or something akin to bitcoins?
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

Next