Poll : Would You Work? If So, How Much?

If You Had a Guarenteed Income, that covered ALL your NEEDS, how much would you work?

1) NONE - I prefer a simple life and don`t need extras.
33%
2) 10 Hours A Week - a little spending money.
11%
3) 20 Hours A Week - just enough for a few of the finer things.
22%
4) 40 Hours A Week - I love my job and would keep working!
22%
5) More Than 40 Hours - Work keeps you alive. Give me the $$$$!!!
11%

Total votes : 9

Re: Poll : Would You Work? If So, How Much?

by West » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:17 pm

... sounds like they are right of the US in those examples there Kevin. School vouchers are something the Trump admin wants and have been called all sorts of names for.

As for public service, your basic income would result in a shrinking of public service workers. Social Workers who are in charge of overseeing IA programs would be laid off.

Finland has also taken steps in recent years to lean out their public service.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:20 pm

West wrote:... sounds like they are right of the US in those examples there Kevin. School vouchers are something the Trump admin wants and have been called all sorts of names for.

As for public service, your basic income would result in a shrinking of public service workers. Social Workers who are in charge of overseeing IA programs would be laid off.

Finland has also taken steps in recent years to lean out their public service.

We will have to agree to disagree, my friend. :)

It will be interesting to see how the new Guaranteed Income plays out.
When they start giving it out in Niagara, I want in!!!
All-Star

by West » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:34 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote: The Nordics have pushed far-reaching reforms past unions and business lobbies. The proof is there. You can inject market mechanisms into the welfare state to sharpen its performance. You can put entitlement programmes on sound foundations to avoid beggaring future generations. But you need to be willing to root out corruption and vested interests. And you must be ready to abandon tired orthodoxies of the left and right and forage for good ideas across the political spectrum. [/color][/i][/b]

I think this pretty much sums up the issues with the American system and to a lesser extent the Canadian system. Unions and business lobbies are too strong and often aren't concerned with anyone other than themselves. Governments are more concerned with re-election and would rather demonize or oppose other people's ideas simply because they come from that person. They would rather mortgage the future for re-election than come up with solutions.
All-Star

by jamie » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:52 pm

Unfortunately we cannot blame the politicians for lying.

If they didn't lie WE wouldn't vote for them it seems.
All-Star

by beaglehound » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:52 pm

Following up on West's comments I would like to see a government that I feel I can trust. Was there a time when that was actually a reality? I'd like to know.

Why is it that promises are made and then quickly broken? Why is it our politicians are able to vote themselves huge pay increases and the taxpayers as a majority remain silent or have no say? Why does it have to come down to voting for the "lesser of two evils"? Why do politicians have to vote according to party lines instead of according to conscience?
Why can we not have a system where a politician can speak truthfully and honestly without a hidden agenda or fear of not being elected or because special interest groups will withdraw their support?
Why does it have to be "it's not what you know but who you know"? Why do we get special "goodies" handed out just before election time knowing that the reason those goodies are being handed out is because we are being manipulated into voting the incumbents back in?

Politics has evolved into legal corruption and I don't see it changing in the near future.

I'm sure there are some "honest" politicians out there who end up going independent because they too are sick and tired of the nonsense we all have to live with. But they seem to be few and far between.

Political parties do share one important thing in common and they are right. Both accuse the other of being liars and dishonest and having their own agenda. They are actually both right! How about that?
Last edited by beaglehound on Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
All-Star

by oo DAWG oo » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:46 pm

Theres only 1 answer to all your questions Beagle..... MONEY. ...
It's all about MONEY
All-Star

by beaglehound » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:01 pm

oo DAWG oo wrote:Theres only 1 answer to all your questions Beagle..... MONEY. ...
It's all about MONEY

Yep. I reckon it is in most cases. For others, who are multi-millionaires and aren't doing it for the money it is more likely for the power and prestige.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:07 pm

beaglehound wrote:
oo DAWG oo wrote:Theres only 1 answer to all your questions Beagle..... MONEY. ...
It's all about MONEY

Yep. I reckon it is in most cases. For others, who are multi-millionaires and aren't doing it for the money it is more likely for the power and prestige.

Peace... All about Peace.
All-Star

by Aerial » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:28 pm

Trust is such a weird thing and such an important thing in any type of relationship, marriage, job, politics whatever. Without it money really doesn't matter all that much, or shouldn't matter all that much.
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde
All-Star

by beaglehound » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:09 pm

Aerial wrote:Trust is such a weird thing and such an important thing in any type of relationship, marriage, job, politics whatever. Without it money really doesn't matter all that much, or shouldn't matter all that much.

So true Aerial but for some, acquiring as much money as possible becomes an end in itself and for such individuals the end will always justify the means. In other words, it doesn't matter how they get it as long as they get it.
All-Star

Previous