Is There Now Censorship On The CFL Forum ?

Is There Now Censorship On The CFL Forum ?

by brihind88 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:59 pm

OK, I just need to know where we stand for future reference on this.

I happen to notice that in a certain thread, a post and reply had been removed by the mods.

Johnny, had posted a WE GOT WORK TO DO with a cute and funny photo.

I had replied to it with also what I thought was amusing.

I notice that both Johnny's post and my reply ( along with Johnny's follow up reply ) have been removed.

IMO, neither what Johnny or myself stated violates any code of conduct outlined.
With all due respect to the mods , I have read the guidelines and I do not feel their removal was justified.

If this has anything to do with rule # 3 , I object.
I was simply making a prediction based on my full unbiased opinion.

I have also stated that I do not believe the Stamps will make it out of the West Division.
Nobody got upset about that.
All-Star
 
Posts: 2323
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Is There Now Censorship On The CFL Forum ?

by KevinRiley2 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:05 pm

brihind88 wrote:OK, I just need to know where we stand for future reference on this.

I happen to notice that in a certain thread, a post and reply had been removed by the mods.

Johnny, had posted a WE GOT WORK TO DO with a cute and funny photo.

I had replied to it with also what I thought was amusing.

I notice that both Johnny's post and my reply ( along with Johnny's follow up reply ) have been removed.

IMO, neither what Johnny or myself stated violates any code of conduct outlined.
With all due respect to the mods , I have read the guidelines and I do not feel their removal was justified.

If this has anything to do with rule # 3 , I object.
I was simply making a prediction based on my full unbiased opinion.

I have also stated that I do not believe the Stamps will make it out of the West Division.
Nobody got upset about that.

Go easy on the Mods, B88. As we have said many, many times, they do a thankless job, well.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 7930
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Is There Now Censorship On The CFL Forum ?

by Eskimosrock » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:52 pm

Doesn't make censorship right, no matter how offensive.
The Green and Gold is bold.
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: Is There Now Censorship On The CFL Forum ?

by KevinRiley2 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:54 pm

Eskimosrock wrote:Doesn't make censorship right, no matter how offensive.

I disagree. This is a private forum, and those running it should be able to say yay or nay.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 7930
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Is There Now Censorship On The CFL Forum ?

by Aerial » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:16 pm

I suppose in a way people just want a logical and consistent moderation, just like athletes want in baseball, a consistent strike zone in a game by an ump or refs in football calling PI and hockey with clutching etc.

And perhaps it can be said the CFL forum site might be lacking in some of this consistency whereby people know what is "right" and what is "wrong" on a post to post basis. :?

That being said I can appreciate "grey zones" and it's always a difficult call on the part of a moderator what is acceptable vs non-acceptable. But if a post is just "not to a moderator's agenda", well that is just not right.,
We should expect to receive from our healthcare system evidence-based basic best practices from our healthcare providers. But we should demand much more in our individual care - Anon
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:22 pm
Location: Hamilton, ON

Re: Is There Now Censorship On The CFL Forum ?

by KevinRiley2 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:23 pm

Aerial wrote:I suppose in a way people just want a logical and consistent moderation, just like athletes want in baseball, a consistent strike zone in a game by an ump or refs in football calling PI and hockey with clutching etc.

And perhaps it can be said the CFL forum site might be lacking in some of this consistency whereby people know what is "right" and what is "wrong" on a post to post basis. :?

That being said I can appreciate "grey zones" and it's always a difficult call on the part of a moderator what is acceptable vs non-acceptable.

That's fair.

Unfortunately, it's just too difficult to provide strict guidelines - but as Potter Stewart once wrote, "I know it when I see it". The Mods know when they see something offensive and act accordingly.

If you have something deleted, don't take it personally. The Mods aren't jerks. They will forgive and forget, so just move on.
Last edited by KevinRiley2 on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 7930
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Is There Now Censorship On The CFL Forum ?

by PTBO Dave » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:25 pm

brihind88 wrote:OK, I just need to know where we stand for future reference on this.

I happen to notice that in a certain thread, a post and reply had been removed by the mods.

Johnny, had posted a WE GOT WORK TO DO with a cute and funny photo.

I had replied to it with also what I thought was amusing.

I notice that both Johnny's post and my reply ( along with Johnny's follow up reply ) have been removed.

IMO, neither what Johnny or myself stated violates any code of conduct outlined.
With all due respect to the mods , I have read the guidelines and I do not feel their removal was justified.

If this has anything to do with rule # 3 , I object.
I was simply making a prediction based on my full unbiased opinion.

I have also stated that I do not believe the Stamps will make it out of the West Division.
Nobody got upset about that.


Yes, there is censorship now, as there has been in the past.

Johnny's post was indeed reported for violating rule #3. I'd assume that was the reason it was deleted. Perhaps yours was deleted because you had quoted Johnny.

Unfortunately, a lot of Rider-related threads of late have been deteriorating into constant off-topic sniping and personal attacks and Johnny's post was the kind that triggers such deterioration.
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1458
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:17 am

Re: Is There Now Censorship On The CFL Forum ?

by KevinRiley2 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:27 pm

PTBO Dave wrote:
brihind88 wrote:OK, I just need to know where we stand for future reference on this.

I happen to notice that in a certain thread, a post and reply had been removed by the mods.

Johnny, had posted a WE GOT WORK TO DO with a cute and funny photo.

I had replied to it with also what I thought was amusing.

I notice that both Johnny's post and my reply ( along with Johnny's follow up reply ) have been removed.

IMO, neither what Johnny or myself stated violates any code of conduct outlined.
With all due respect to the mods , I have read the guidelines and I do not feel their removal was justified.

If this has anything to do with rule # 3 , I object.
I was simply making a prediction based on my full unbiased opinion.

I have also stated that I do not believe the Stamps will make it out of the West Division.
Nobody got upset about that.


Yes, there is censorship now, as there has been in the past.

Johnny's post was indeed reported for violating rule #3. I'd assume that was the reason it was deleted. Perhaps yours was deleted because you had quoted Johnny.

Unfortunately, a lot of Rider-related threads of late have been deteriorating into constant off-topic sniping and personal attacks and Johnny's post was the kind that triggers such deterioration.

You're no longer a Mod, Dave?
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 7930
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Is There Now Censorship On The CFL Forum ?

by PTBO Dave » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:40 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
PTBO Dave wrote:
brihind88 wrote:OK, I just need to know where we stand for future reference on this.

I happen to notice that in a certain thread, a post and reply had been removed by the mods.

Johnny, had posted a WE GOT WORK TO DO with a cute and funny photo.

I had replied to it with also what I thought was amusing.

I notice that both Johnny's post and my reply ( along with Johnny's follow up reply ) have been removed.

IMO, neither what Johnny or myself stated violates any code of conduct outlined.
With all due respect to the mods , I have read the guidelines and I do not feel their removal was justified.

If this has anything to do with rule # 3 , I object.
I was simply making a prediction based on my full unbiased opinion.

I have also stated that I do not believe the Stamps will make it out of the West Division.
Nobody got upset about that.


Yes, there is censorship now, as there has been in the past.

Johnny's post was indeed reported for violating rule #3. I'd assume that was the reason it was deleted. Perhaps yours was deleted because you had quoted Johnny.

Unfortunately, a lot of Rider-related threads of late have been deteriorating into constant off-topic sniping and personal attacks and Johnny's post was the kind that triggers such deterioration.

You're no longer a Mod, Dave?


I am, but I'm not the only one. Both I and R&W moderated a bunch of posts in that thread today.
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1458
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:17 am

Re: Is There Now Censorship On The CFL Forum ?

by KevinRiley2 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:43 pm

PTBO Dave wrote:I am, but I'm not the only one. Both I and R&W moderated a bunch of posts in that thread today.

:thup:
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 7930
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Is There Now Censorship On The CFL Forum ?

by ArgoT » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:54 pm

After removing a posting, so there is no mystery the mod should send a private message to the involved parties.
All-Star
 
Posts: 4443
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: Is There Now Censorship On The CFL Forum ?

by jamie » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:00 pm

i think mods should acknowledge who they ban also
All-Star
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:34 pm

Re: Is There Now Censorship On The CFL Forum ?

by PTBO Dave » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:15 pm

ArgoT wrote:After removing a posting, so there is no mystery the mod should send a private message to the involved parties.


There is a certain sense to that, but when a thread deteriorates it can be very time consuming to do so for multiple parties and multiple posts.

One option is to lock a thread that deteriorates rather than delete offending posts but then that stifles dialogue for those who know how to follow the rules as well as for those who don't.
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1458
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:17 am

Re: Is There Now Censorship On The CFL Forum ?

by Aerial » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:42 pm

If I directly call someone on here, in a post, a loon, is that going to far or is that acceptable depending on the rest of the thread and how it has played out? I have no idea to be honest. Ok, a loon isn't a swear word so maybe that's the line, personal descriptions of people are fine as long as it isn't considered profanity? :?

So this is ok "Red&White is a terd". ??? Hey just saying R&W, this is just an example. :wink:
We should expect to receive from our healthcare system evidence-based basic best practices from our healthcare providers. But we should demand much more in our individual care - Anon
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:22 pm
Location: Hamilton, ON

Re: Is There Now Censorship On The CFL Forum ?

by RedandWhite » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:01 pm

Aerial wrote:So this is ok "Red&White is a terd". ??? Hey just saying R&W, this is just an example. :wink:


...it's not slander if it's true...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Site Staff
 
Posts: 14991
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:34 am
Location: Calgary

Next

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests