United Airlines overbooked debacle

Re: United Airlines overbooked debacle

by ryan3434 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:32 pm

BigJoeM wrote:Or Millions of dollars and lost stock .

Wasnt in stock holders or CEO's hands to sort this out.. Im sure they would agree with you 100 percent.

But since they werent there we are right back to not worth losing teeth over.

The dude and the other 3 got a raw deal. No question about it.
I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement and physics!

Feminazis.. Not better women just crappy men.
Hall of Famer

by beaglehound » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:15 am

"As somebody mentioned earlier - apparently there was another flight operating to Louisville 3 hours later. Why not put their employees on that one?"... TravelPat1

Putting them on a flight departing 3 hours later would have resulted in another flight having to be cancelled- namely the flight the standby crew needed to get on.

"Oh FYI Beagle he did not delay the plane two hours. It got delayed 3 hours and most of that because all the passengers had to be deplaned so cleaners could come on and clean up the blood caused by the over the top violent actions of the officer who was rightly suspended. The other two officers after preliminary investigation have also now been put on leave."...by TravelPat1

Federal Aviation Regulations require all passengers to comply with the commands of the air crew. This is not rocket science. Next time the guy will be a little smarter and choose to comply.

"But to Beagle the outrage is that a few United employess got booed at. So sad and terrible. Those poor people." by TravelPat1

Federal Aviation Regulations require all passengers to comply with the commands of the air crew. What part of that do you not get?
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
All-Star

by greenandwhite » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:53 am

TravelPat1 wrote:But to Beagle the outrage is that a few United employess got booed at. So sad and terrible. Those poor people. :roll:

I'm not sure what the point was in booing the airline employees. I'm sure they were just following what their employer was instructing and didn't have a choice in where they were sent for work. Then again I have a passive personality and don't usually berate people who are only doing their job.
All-Star

by beaglehound » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:06 pm

greenandwhite wrote:
TravelPat1 wrote:But to Beagle the outrage is that a few United employess got booed at. So sad and terrible. Those poor people. :roll:

I'm not sure what the point was in booing the airline employees. I'm sure they were just following what their employer was instructing and didn't have a choice in where they were sent for work. Then again I have a passive personality and don't usually berate people who are only doing their job.

I would not put much stock in the king of exaggeration's perceptions. To say that it was 'very sad' hearing that some passengers had booed the 4 flight crew members doesn't make one outraged nor does it make the situation outrageous. It might in TravelPat's world but many people would consider it simply ignorant behaviour
All-Star

by beaglehound » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:51 pm

@JoeM

Let’s not confuse two separate issues here: United Airlines policy and why the passenger was taken off the plane. While one precipitated the other, they remain separate issues in my books.

You continue to try and make the case that the role of the police is not to enforce United Airline’s policies. That is not the reason they were called.
The way I see it is the police were not trying to enforce the airline’s policy.

Firstly, Federal Aviation Regulations require all passengers to comply with the commands of the aircrew. That is the law. Was this passenger complying with Federal Aviation law? No, he wasn’t. He was totally defiant. At one point after he was warned what they might have to do he said, “Well you can drag me now I’m not going.” Failure to follow lawful orders of a law enforcement officer can get a person arrested. The guy is lucky he wasn’t arrested.

Secondly, while I posted this earlier it doesn’t hurt to post it again…

"The use of force, in the context of law enforcement, may be defined as the "amount of effort required by police to compel compliance by an unwilling subject"

The police followed this.

"Police use physical force to the extent necessary to secure observance of the law or to restore order only when the exercise of persuasion, advice and warning is found to be insufficient”

The police followed this.

The police acted appropriately given the reason they were summoned. Should they have been summoned in the first place? That's up for debate. It would have all been avoided had there been no bumping policy that this airline uses. It would have been avoided had United not been trying to save a few bucks by being cheap.

I said before that they could have offered this guy and the others a financial incentive that I’m sure no one would have sneezed at. Everyone has his price. I’m willing to bet that instead of just 4 “volunteers” that had United offered enough of an incentive they would have had dozens of passengers chomping at the bit ready to get off. It didn’t happen and now it has blown up in United’s face. Does this justify what the passenger did? No.

I came across an interesting clip that you might be interested in seeing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmcjr4CB8xE

Here is another clip which I think gives a very fair and much clearer assessment of what this passenger's demeanour was really like and what the officers were having to deal with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABvASy7L0U0
All-Star

by Preisst » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:43 pm

greenandwhite wrote:I'm not sure what the point was in booing the airline employees. I'm sure they were just following what their employer was instructing and didn't have a choice in where they were sent for work. Then again I have a passive personality and don't usually berate people who are only doing their job.

I suspect the point was to boo the airline and the employees are, in a sense, the face of the airline. Not much chance to get that opportunity to voice anything at one of the left wing self absorbed money hungry hypocrite bureaucrats at the top.
"It is a sign of strength, not of weakness, to admit that you don't know all the answers." --John P. Lougbrane

ppull rulz!!!!
Starter

by TravelPat1 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:08 pm

beaglehound wrote:Putting them on a flight departing 3 hours later would have resulted in another flight having to be cancelled- namely the flight the standby crew needed to get on.

Oh so being on the flight scheduled to leave 3 hours and 15 minutes after the flight Dr. Dao got beaten up to be bumped from would have had them missing the flight the next morning they were being sent to work on? Kind of ironic that with the delays the later flight landed within an hour of the flight the United employees ended up on - and yet they made it to the flight the next morning. That hour must have made all the difference :roll:

I guess in Beagles world if you don't immediately do what a police officer tells you - even when you disagree with the instruction - apparently he thinks it's OK for the police to immediately resort to such excessive force that the result is a concussion, broken nose and lost teeth. Thankfully - as is obvious by the outrage and reaction to this unfortunate event by those on the plane who witnessed it and those who have watched the various videos - and most significantly by the actions taken by the organizations of the personnel involved in reaction to what happened (ie. United changing policies, and officers being suspended) - that is clearly a minority opinion.
All-Star

by beaglehound » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:39 pm

"I guess in Beagle's world ..." by TravelPat1

Just for you TravelPat. We love you buddy :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3pZZQbFWj8

Don't you just love the lyrics? :wink:
All-Star

by West » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:44 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:I guess in Beagles world if you don't immediately do what a police officer tells you - even when you disagree with the instruction - apparently he thinks it's OK for the police to immediately resort to such excessive force that the result is a concussion, broken nose and lost teeth. Thankfully - as is obvious by the outrage and reaction to this unfortunate event by those on the plane who witnessed it and those who have watched the various videos - and most significantly by the actions taken by the organizations of the personnel involved in reaction to what happened (ie. United changing policies, and officers being suspended) - that is clearly a minority opinion.

You've got issues bro.
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:31 pm

Travel trade publications have been filled with articles condemning United AND the police involved. And rightfully so as it is such a black eye for the business we are a part of.

And numerous other articles critical of all airlines who overbook are popping up all over varous trade publications. Air Canada got grief for bumping a ten year old travelling with his family - ruining a family vacation.
- http://travelindustrytoday.com/2017-04- ... act::26084

More support for a Passengers Bill of Rights law to be introduced in Congress. And the airlines are scrambling to intoduce policies to avoid a repeat. Delta has now authorized staff to offer thousands of dollars for involuntary bumps.

As for me having issues West - yes I guess I do have issues when I hear people making excuses for unwarranted police violence. It's not only wrong - but it also makes the tough job so much tougher for the good officers out there who do the job right - when we hear of incidents like this one when they've so obviously screwed up - outraging so many.
All-Star

by Preisst » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:47 pm

New United Airlines Mottos

“We put the hospital in hospitality”

“Board as a doctor, leave as a patient”

“Our prices can’t be beaten, but our passengers can”

“We have First Class, Business Class and No Class”

“Not enough seating, prepare for a beating”

“We treat you like we treat your luggage”

“We beat the customer. Not the competition”

“And you thought leg room was an issue”

“Fight or flight. We decide”

“Now offering one free carry off”

“Beating random customers since 2017”

“A bloody good airline”
"It is a sign of strength, not of weakness, to admit that you don't know all the answers." --John P. Lougbrane

ppull rulz!!!!
Starter

by canadianfootballfan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:52 pm

Preisst wrote:“Board as a doctor, leave as a patient”

It's funny because it's 100% true.
Veteran

by ryan3434 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:13 pm

Preisst wrote:New United Airlines Mottos

“A bloody good airline”

These yours? Well done if so.. Very clever.
I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement and physics!

Feminazis.. Not better women just crappy men.
Hall of Famer

by TravelPat1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:55 am

Another 'bumping' story. This one involving Air Canada causing a woman to miss a $10,000 Galapagos cruise. So far Air Canada has only offered her $800. By the sounds of it the Air Canada staff the woman had to deal with did not give a damn what the result of their actions were.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-can ... -1.4077645
All-Star

by West » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:55 am

ryan3434 wrote:
Preisst wrote:New United Airlines Mottos

“A bloody good airline”

These yours? Well done if so.. Very clever.

These are gold :thup:
All-Star

PreviousNext