1984... The movie

1984... The movie

by ryan3434 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:00 am

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 65471.html

After Donald Trump stepped into the White House, the novel 1984 flew off the shelves and became the number one bestseller on Amazon.

Now almost 200 cinemas around the US and other parts of the world are planning a simultaneous screening of George Orwell’s dystopian classic in protest at the new President.

In the US, the UK, Canada, Croatia and Sweden, the “National Screening Day” has been organised for 4 April by Dylan Skolnick, co-director of the Cinema Arts Centre in New York, and Adam Birnbaum, director of film programming at the Avon Theatre Film Centre in Connecticut.

New stage adaptation of George Orwell’s 1984 coming to Broadway
“In particular, this undermining of the concept of facts and the demonisation of foreign enemies [by the Trump administration] really resonate in 1984," Mr Skolnick told Al Jazeera.

“No one is suggesting that we’re living in Orwell’s world. But the road to that world is people just becoming disengaged and allowing their government to do whatever it wants.”
I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement and physics!

Feminazis.. Not better women just crappy men.
All-Star

Re: 1984... The movie

by RedandWhite » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:51 am

ryan3434 wrote:people just becoming disengaged and allowing their government to do whatever it wants.”

...seems to me we Canadians have this problem more than our American cousins...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Site Staff

by Liquor Kitty » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:28 am

Don't worry devoid Hollywood will do a remake with lots of CGI and Ben Affeck as Winston Smith.
Veteran

by RedandWhite » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:27 am

...I don't doubt it...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Site Staff

by ryan3434 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:32 pm

RedandWhite wrote:
ryan3434 wrote:people just becoming disengaged and allowing their government to do whatever it wants.”

...seems to me we Canadians have this problem more than our American cousins...

Good catch.

All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:19 am

Orwell's predictions and warnings about Big Brother and Thought Police and the control of the people through censorship and control of information seem even more relevant today than they did 60-70 years ago.
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by ryan3434 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:41 am

PTBO Dave wrote:Orwell's predictions and warnings about Big Brother and Thought Police and the control of the people through censorship and control of information seem even more relevant today than they did 60-70 years ago.

Thats why i found it strange anti trumpsters were doing this

All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:11 am

ryan3434 wrote:
PTBO Dave wrote:Orwell's predictions and warnings about Big Brother and Thought Police and the control of the people through censorship and control of information seem even more relevant today than they did 60-70 years ago.

I don't think it's particularly strange for far-lefters to want to control everything, including free speech and the press, since that allows them to control the minds of the people and make them fear what they're supposed to fear.

It is ironic, however, that so many anti-Trumpsters go out and buy/watch 1984 without realizing how they're being manipulated by the tactics Orwell warns against in it.
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by jamie » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:32 am

Funny. The ONLY people I find obsessed with 1984 ( or the coles notes utub version) are dave and ryan and others filled with stereotypes.
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:42 am

jamie wrote:Funny. The ONLY people I find obsessed with 1984 ( or the coles notes utub version) are dave and ryan and others filled with stereotypes.

Yes, Ryan and I have been quite busy with our promotion of 1984: :wink:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/cinemas-1984-worldwide-screening-anti-donald-trump-protest-george-orwell-nineteen-eighty-four-a7665471.html

http://time.com/4726152/1984-screening-george-orwell-nitehawk/

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/so-are-we-living-in-1984
-Confucius

All-Star

by ryan3434 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:25 pm

PTBO Dave wrote:
ryan3434 wrote:

I don't think it's particularly strange for far-lefters to want to control everything, including free speech and the press, since that allows them to control the minds of the people and make them fear what they're supposed to fear.

It is ironic, however, that so many anti-Trumpsters go out and buy/watch 1984 without realizing how they're being manipulated by the tactics Orwell warns against in it.

Thats what i means.

All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:53 pm

ryan3434 wrote:
PTBO Dave wrote:
ryan3434 wrote:Thats why i found it strange anti trumpsters were doing this

Thats what i means.

I don't doubt it.

-Confucius

All-Star