Colombia..mudslide

Colombia..mudslide

by ryan3434 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:52 pm

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/world/colo ... oPlay=true

Colombia: 193 dead as intense rains cause mudslides
BOGOTA -- An avalanche of water from three overflowing rivers tore through a small city in Colombia while people slept, destroying homes, sweeping away cars and killing at least 193 unsuspecting residents.
According to the Red Cross, 202 people were injured and 220 believed missing. President Juan Manuel Santos declared a state of emergency and said the death toll will likely rise but warned against speculating about how many are dead. Late Saturday, he said the toll had reached 193.
"We don't know how many there are going to be," he said of the fatalities when he arrived at the disaster zone to oversee rescue efforts. "We're still looking."

Truly heartbreaking.
I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement and physics!

Feminazis.. Not better women just crappy men.
Hall of Famer

Re: Colombia..mudslide

by TravelPat1 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:08 pm

I agree Ryan - it is heartbreaking. Those poor people did not stand a chance against the power of mother nature.

Sadly if climate scientists are right - we should expect to see more and more of these type of weather related disasters as the frequency and severity of storms ramps up due to the warming planet.
All-Star

by ryan3434 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:29 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:I agree Ryan - it is heartbreaking. Those poor people did not stand a chance against the power of mother nature.

Sadly if climate scientists are right - we should expect to see more and more of these type of weather related disasters as the frequency and severity of storms ramps up due to the warming planet.

When i picture you dancing on the graves of the victims of this tragedy, or others, to preach about (insert cause here) its always doing the riverdance. Lol

Hall of Famer

by oo DAWG oo » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:58 pm

It cant be the riverdance...he needs to be able to move his hands and arms to do his jazz hands finish
All-Star

by ryan3434 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:16 pm

oo DAWG oo wrote:It cant be the riverdance...he needs to be able to move his hands and arms to do his jazz hands finish

Thats a creepy picture. Starts off funny but themore you look at it you can start to see the psycho in his eyes

Hall of Famer

by Aerial » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:19 pm

Pat knows a Santos when he sees one. Of course climate change could cause such a disaster. Or it might not cause such a disaster. Unless a research team who knows what they are doing and is able to analyze these types of disasters with some solid evidence, it's speculation with educated guesses at best.

Santos is smart though, he wants as much foreign aid as possible and one way to do that is to say it's a global issue garnering global support. Smart man.
We should expect to receive from our healthcare system evidence-based basic best practices from our healthcare providers. But we should demand much more in our individual care - Anon
All-Star

by oo DAWG oo » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:25 pm

And hopefully they get all the help they need.
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:53 am

Absolutely Dawg I hope they get all the help they need.

And as we all know - it is very hard to look at any one event and say that was caused by climate change. What we do know is that there will be more event like these, more severe droughts (hello Africa), more severe wildfires, more species diappearing, more coastal flooding etc.

That is the reality. And poorer countries and poor people are going to take the early brunt of the effects of climate change - because unlike cities like New York they don't have billions of dollars to build infrastructure that will help mitigate the worst impacts of climate change and protect that city.

But now of course in the USA we have a science denying President and congress in charge. And that doesn't bode well for the world's efforts to limit the human impact on climate change.
All-Star

by Aerial » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:45 am

I hope they get all the support they need as well. In Canada we may need help as well in areas that can be prone to water problems and where, I think I heard recently, they are moving an entire First Nations village at a huge sum due to flooding issues.

But Travel, you seem to be implying this is 100 percent due to climate change brought about by human practices. Is that what you actually do think? Just curious.
We should expect to receive from our healthcare system evidence-based basic best practices from our healthcare providers. But we should demand much more in our individual care - Anon
All-Star

by oo DAWG oo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:21 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:Absolutely Dawg I hope they get all the help they need.

And as we all know - it is very hard to look at any one event and say that was caused by climate change. What we do know is that there will be more event like these, more severe droughts (hello Africa), more severe wildfires, more species diappearing, more coastal flooding etc.

That is the reality. And poorer countries and poor people are going to take the early brunt of the effects of climate change - because unlike cities like New York they don't have billions of dollars to build infrastructure that will help mitigate the worst impacts of climate change and protect that city.

But now of course in the USA we have a science denying President and congress in charge. And that doesn't bode well for the world's efforts to limit the human impact on climate change.

Don't pin it on Americas shoulders...
All-Star

by ryan3434 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:53 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:

What we do know is that there will be more event like these, more severe droughts (hello Africa),

Drought?! Maybe they shouldnt of chased off the white farmers who actually knew how to farm the land

Lookin at you Mugabe. You idiot.

Hall of Famer

by TravelPat1 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:04 pm

Earl I'll go along with the experts who say that humans are the 'main cause' of global warming the last half century.

From what I've read the concensus is we are responsible for over 50% of the warming with many arguing we are much closer to 100% than 50%.

Climate scientists are VERY aware that there are natural factors that impact global temperatures over time and those factors are taken into account when they come to their conclusions about the impact of man on the increasing temperatures we see today.
http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/sc ... OKoJfnyvIU
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:14 pm

ryan3434 wrote:
TravelPat1 wrote:

What we do know is that there will be more event like these, more severe droughts (hello Africa),

Drought?! Maybe they shouldnt of chased off the white farmers who actually knew how to farm the land

Lookin at you Mugabe. You idiot.

There are 17 countries in Africa facing droughts right now and the most severe are in East Africa - countries that Mugabe has nothing to do with.
All-Star

by pigseye2015 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:22 pm

This had nothing to do with climate change, some people need to get a grip.

Colombia's rugged topography, in a seismically active area at the northern edge of the Andes, combined with shoddy construction practices, has made the country one of Latin America's most disaster-prone. More than 150 disasters have struck the country over the past 40 years, claiming more than 32,000 lives and affecting more than 12 million people, according to the Inter-American Development Bank.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/colombia-f ... -1.3078148
Starter

by Aerial » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:44 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:Earl I'll go along with the experts who say that humans are the 'main cause' of global warming the last half century.

From what I've read the concensus is we are responsible for over 50% of the warming with many arguing we are much closer to 100% than 50%.

Climate scientists are VERY aware that there are natural factors that impact global temperatures over time and those factors are taken into account when they come to their conclusions about the impact of man on the increasing temperatures we see today.
http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/sc ... OKoJfnyvIU

Well I agree that it is a mix, generally speaking. Of course specifics for specific events in whatever country is a different question. What exactly the mix is, I don't know and I'm not sure anyone really knows for sure.
All-Star