Canadian Politics

Re: Canadian Politics

by jamie » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:10 am

Yup I guess so given your parameters. I never use the term progressive for a political party. Don't know what it means actually but interesting I guess to see that that you define it by gender.
Now you have 3 labels to use-left, right, progressive. Fits well in the classroom for critical thought lecturing for you I suppose.
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:06 am

jamie wrote:Yup I guess so given your parameters. I never use the term progressive for a political party. Don't know what it means actually but interesting I guess to see that that you define it by gender.
Now you have 3 labels to use-left, right, progressive. Fits well in the classroom for critical thought lecturing for you I suppose.

Well, I was partly teasing about the Liberals being non-progressive. They like to portray themselves as so, but sometimes their actions belie that portrayal, like the so-called feminist PM who knocks down women who get in his way and forgets that a woman once held his position.

Of course, there are many ways to be progressive. Electoral reform would have been one, but again the PM was too conservative in his views to follow through on it. I hope he will be actually progressive when it comes to the legalization of marijuana.

I'm sure there are a lot of liberals who are truly progressive, but while overseas I met my fair share of them who became very closed-minded and intolerant when actually exposed to living in a different culture.

As far as the political labels, I'd say it could add a third axis: left-right, authoritarian-libertarian, conservative-progressive.
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by jamie » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:13 am

Teach Your Children Well. Good luck with that.
All-Star

by ryan3434 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:39 am

200000 dollars to rent a giant duck for a weekend?!

**** off Wynne.
I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement and physics!

Feminazis.. Not better women just crappy men.
Hall of Famer

by oo DAWG oo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:58 am

ryan3434 wrote:200000 dollars to rent a giant duck for a weekend?!

**** off Wynne.

That's Ducked up ...
All-Star

by Aerial » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:09 am

It would be nice to see our various levels of government develop a better healthcare system. This is deplorable:

Cost of cancer in Canada debilitating despite free health care

“The sad thing,” she says, “is the government will tear your face apart, get rid of your cancer but give you no means to support your recovery. The rest is up to you. You’re on your own. There’s nowhere to go.”

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/cost- ... 14971.html
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
All-Star

by oo DAWG oo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:03 pm

Aerial wrote:It would be nice to see our various levels of government develop a better healthcare system. This is deplorable:

Cost of cancer in Canada debilitating despite free health care

“The sad thing,” she says, “is the government will tear your face apart, get rid of your cancer but give you no means to support your recovery. The rest is up to you. You’re on your own. There’s nowhere to go.”

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/cost- ... 14971.html

It amazes me how many call it "Free Healthcare"
All-Star

by RedandWhite » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:56 pm

...yes, it truly is a misleading term...the better one to use would be universal health care...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Site Staff

by Aerial » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:54 pm

Yup, universally not comprehensive.

Lenny, do you know what I'm getting at here? :D
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
All-Star

by beaglehound » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:14 pm

RedandWhite wrote:...yes, it truly is a misleading term...the better one to use would be universal health care...

I agree R&W. Where did the "free" health care idea come from? It is "free" to those receiving government assistance but my wife and I took early retirement a number of years ago and any health care coverage is coming out of our pockets. In fact we are required to pay it unless it is extended health coverage which is optional.
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
All-Star

by Aerial » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:58 pm

Our healthcare system simply needs an overhaul. We have an excellent foundation for healthcare but there are too many seams and cracks in it to be truly deemed "universal". It's just not the case. Even some situations for a patient traveling from one province to another may not be covered. That must change.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:23 pm

Fascinating story, on the 5th Estate, about Canada's painfully high drug prices.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/854635587742

Sounds like Stephen Harper did nothing to curb drug price increases based on a commitment from pharma companies to increase R&D / employment in Canada. Then the good old private sector reneged on their promise. Surprise, surprise. :roll:

Hopefully, the Liberals will make it happen and grind prices into the ground - like they did in New Zealand.

After watching the video, I wrote The Honourable Jane Philpott MP, who is interviewed. I suggest others do the same and support the plan to reduce the costs in a big way.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:37 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:Sounds like Stephen Harper did nothing to curb drug price increases based on a commitment from pharma companies to increase R&D / employment in Canada. Then the good old private sector reneged on their promise. Surprise, surprise. :roll:

This is what irritates me about the Conservatives. Their blind willingness to believe everything the Private Sector tells them - "Oh, they won't lie, they're the superior PRIVATE sector. Let's swallow everything they tell us". In the meantime, they screw Canadians out of 15 billions of dollars over the last 5 years. Few of those dollars stayed in Canada. :thdn:
All-Star

by ryan3434 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:01 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:Sounds like Stephen Harper did nothing to curb drug price increases based on a commitment from pharma companies to increase R&D / employment in Canada. Then the good old private sector reneged on their promise. Surprise, surprise. :roll:

This is what irritates me about the Conservatives. Their blind willingness to believe everything the Private Sector tells them - "Oh, they won't lie, they're the superior PRIVATE sector. Let's swallow everything they tell us". In the meantime, they screw Canadians out of 15 billions of dollars over the last 5 years. Few of those dollars stayed in Canada. :thdn:

Drug companies in Canada are private sector companies? Isnt their main customer the government. Lol
I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement and physics!

Feminazis.. Not better women just crappy men.
Hall of Famer

by KevinRiley2 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:12 pm

ryan3434 wrote:Drug companies in Canada are private sector companies? Isnt their main customer the government. Lol

So? So are these...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_100_C ... government

Canadians pay the 2nd highest drug prices, per capita, in the world.

No reason this needs to continue. Just do like New Zealand did and say, "If you want to sell in Canada, these are the prices we pay. Like it or lump it". Worked for N.Z.
All-Star

PreviousNext