Canadian Politics

Re: Canadian Politics

by letsgoticats » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:37 pm

PTBO Dave wrote:I was surprised to see such low approval ratings for Canadian premiers. We're not a very satisfied lot, are we?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/wall-faces-boos-cfl-1.4039919

With all the divide going on in the world, it's nice that Ontarians can unite around their dislike of Kathleen Wynne. :lol:
Starter

by PTBO Dave » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:48 pm

letsgoticats wrote:
PTBO Dave wrote:I was surprised to see such low approval ratings for Canadian premiers. We're not a very satisfied lot, are we?

With all the divide going on in the world, it's nice that Ontarians can unite around their dislike of Kathleen Wynne. :lol:

Indeed, she even brings Ticat and Argo fans together.

What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by ryan3434 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:15 pm

No..
I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement and physics!

Feminazis.. Not better women just crappy men.
Hall of Famer

by PTBO Dave » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:23 pm

Some potentially good news . . . our PM might actually keep an election promise . . . and one of the good ones at that:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal-legal-marijuana-pot-1.4041902

What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by oo DAWG oo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:40 pm

Are these numbers fairly normal regarding premiers? Do we have a particularly bad crop of them at the moment?
Are we becoming more cynical and dissatisfied in general?

Funny thing is ...most will get re-elected ...Canadians are funny that way
All-Star

by Aerial » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:26 pm

Well I hardly doubt Wynne will get re-elected and if she does, Houdini really does exist and is on her side. :)
We should expect to receive from our healthcare system evidence-based basic best practices from our healthcare providers. But we should demand much more in our individual care - Anon
All-Star

by oo DAWG oo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:05 pm

Aerial wrote:Well I hardly doubt Wynne will get re-elected and if she does, Houdini really does exist and is on her side. :)

I wouldnt know i left Canada before she was elected ..that bad huh..worse than Rae? Or Rea however you spell Bobs name
All-Star

by ryan3434 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:38 pm

oo DAWG oo wrote:
Aerial wrote:Well I hardly doubt Wynne will get re-elected and if she does, Houdini really does exist and is on her side. :)

I wouldnt know i left Canada before she was elected ..that bad huh..worse than Rae? Or Rea however you spell Bobs name

Im actually related to Bob.

He never had a chance. His story is much like Trumps without the twitter lol. Attacked by media and big business.. He had to bend over so badly and take it he looked like a traitor to his own party.
I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement and physics!

Feminazis.. Not better women just crappy men.
Hall of Famer

by jamie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:38 pm

Impressions of these hated politicians is often changed when you know them.
From the outside looking in I agree that Rae never had a chance. Like Notley in Alberta. She's singularly blamed for the crash of the energy sector in Alberta. And is blamed for the weather and fires too. I'm surprised that she is at 31%. Thought it would be lower.

I am surprised that Clark is also at 31% given how well BC has performed.
All-Star

by Aerial » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:20 pm

O'Leary out as he says he can't win in Quebec in a general election. Probably correct on that.

Kevin O’Leary drops out, endorses Maxime Bernier for Conservative leadership

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... e34818970/
We should expect to receive from our healthcare system evidence-based basic best practices from our healthcare providers. But we should demand much more in our individual care - Anon
All-Star

by Liquor Kitty » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:35 am

Aerial wrote:O'Leary out as he says he can't win in Quebec in a general election. Probably correct on that.

Kevin O’Leary drops out, endorses Maxime Bernier for Conservative leadership

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... e34818970/

Good. Enough said.
Veteran

by Aerial » Mon May 01, 2017 9:14 pm

So, should Harjit Sajjjan go or is his apology enough? Not sure on this one, I guess I'm leaning he stays but not good especially for those on the front lines that I'm sure now have a bit less respect for the man. He has some work to do on this one I'd say to gain back the front lines full trust and I think for such an important position in gov't as Defense Minister, he needs.

Harjit Sajjan must go

https://ipolitics.ca/2017/04/30/harjit-sajjan-must-go/
All-Star

by jamie » Mon May 01, 2017 10:39 pm

This is a tough one.
When you look at the totality of the man and career I would say no to firing him.
All-Star

by beaglehound » Tue May 02, 2017 12:11 am

Aerial wrote:So, should Harjit Sajjjan go or is his apology enough? Not sure on this one, I guess I'm leaning he stays but not good especially for those on the front lines that I'm sure now have a bit less respect for the man. He has some work to do on this one I'd say to gain back the front lines full trust and I think for such an important position in gov't as Defense Minister, he needs.

Harjit Sajjan must go

https://ipolitics.ca/2017/04/30/harjit-sajjan-must-go/

I agree with you Aerial. Me thinks the guy embellished and even lied so that he would get the appointment. With what appeared to be an exemplary record he turns out to be a liar and put his own interests ahead of his country's.

Even his most recent apology rang hollow in my ears. " I made a mistake. I'm learning from it. I'm taking ownership for it."

Great but this is the same guy who says, " The response to my remarks has been a good reminder of something important for me as a leader. Always set a standard that honours those you serve." Why would he need reminding.

Pahleez. Give me a break. It is so easy to spout off platitudes. This man had a choice before he opened his mouth to lie about his role. He could choose to honour those he wants to serve by setting the standard of integrity and trustworthiness or he could choose to deceive and lie for personal gain. He chose the latter and got caught.

He says he is learning. Good. What has he learned at this age that he didn't already know? Squat. He says he is taking ownership. Good. Taking ownership means giving a sincere apology to those you've hurt and harmed and accepting the consequences. Does he have the courage to face those consequences and to step down?

Certainly we all make mistakes but not all of us are prepared to face the consequences.

Equally disappointing is Trudeau's attitude towards the whole thing. " I stand behind him," he says. Of course he is going to say that. He doesn't want to look foolish. Heaven forbid. After all who appointed Harjit Sajjan?
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
All-Star

by jamie » Tue May 02, 2017 12:38 am

Perhaps a bit harsh BH...

Here's his history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harjit_Sajjan

Here's what the general of that operation said about him ( Brigadier General Fraser)

During Operation Medusa, four Canadian soldiers under Sajjan's command were killed in the fighting.[3] Fraser evaluated Sajjan's leadership during the operation as "nothing short of brilliant".[3] When Sajjan returned to Vancouver, Fraser sent a letter to the police department which called Sajjan "the best single Canadian intelligence asset in theatre", stated that his work saved "a multitude of coalition lives", and noted that the Canadian Forces should "seek his advice on how to change our entire tactical intelligence training and architecture".[6][9][10]

Funny how architect was the term Sajjan also used that got him into the rabbit hole
All-Star

PreviousNext