Science and any new Discoveries of interest .

Re: Science and any new Discoveries of interest .

by BigJoeM » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:31 pm

...in any case, this is moving toward an area of discussion that is full of landmines and the reason why we aren't allowed to discuss this...unfortunately...I do give you the last word though if necessary...[/quote]

You have to admit this is a pretty civil discussion on a dicey issue for this forum . This is the way it should be nothing personal just the facts and opinion . When we get away from personal attacks and stick to debate it is much more entertaining to read .

You are right about the landmines but it is hard to talk about origins of human life with one side one being a programmer /creator and the other a cosmic/scientific accident without a guide .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by PTBO Dave » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:20 am

3-D printed houses—could put some construction workers out of a job, but could also make housing much more affordable. I actually like the design of the model in this video.

https://www.facebook.com/NowThisFuture/videos/1463339893707186/
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by ryan3434 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:54 am

PTBO Dave wrote:Some ancient skulls from China, which might be Denisovans or mixed Neanderthals. I hope they'll be able to extract some DNA for a genomic comparison.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39118752

Denisovans? I got me a new subject learn about.
I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement and physics!

Feminazis.. Not better women just crappy men.
Hall of Famer

by PTBO Dave » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:59 am

ryan3434 wrote:
PTBO Dave wrote:Some ancient skulls from China, which might be Denisovans or mixed Neanderthals. I hope they'll be able to extract some DNA for a genomic comparison.

Not a whole lot known about them, all from a couple of bones (a tooth and a finger bone, I think) found in a cave in Siberia. I think it's interesting, though, that the modern population with the most genetic overlap with Denisovans is found in Papua-New Guinea. Pretty far from Siberia!
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by ryan3434 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:01 am

PTBO Dave wrote:3-D printed houses—could put some construction workers out of a job, but could also make housing much more affordable. I actually like the design of the model in this video.

In a day.. Wow.
Probably no wonky floors either.
I imagine they Can they do a regular shape houses too? And i wonder how fast they can put together an apt building.

Hall of Famer

by ryan3434 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:24 am

PTBO Dave wrote:
ryan3434 wrote:

Not a whole lot known about them, all from a couple of bones (a tooth and a finger bone, I think) found in a cave in Siberia. I think it's interesting, though, that the modern population with the most genetic overlap with Denisovans is found in Papua-New Guinea. Pretty far from Siberia!

Thats a strange spot to migrate too. Maybe he was tired and let his wife drive for a bit and she made a right after he repeated told her turn left when you get to hwy 3. So instead of being in dunnville they ended up in tillsonburg and very late for a dinner....... I mean siberia

Hall of Famer

by BigJoeM » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:36 am

PTBO Dave wrote:3-D printed houses—could put some construction workers out of a job, but could also make housing much more affordable. I actually like the design of the model in this video.

Fantastic advancement and affordable . 10 k for a house is reasonable . I take it the house is meant for warm climates than cold . I also take it the plumbing , electrical is needed and all is you need is windows and paint maybe misleading to the viewer.
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by PTBO Dave » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:50 am

BigJoeM wrote:

Fantastic advancement and affordable . 10 k for a house is reasonable . I take it the house is meant for warm climates than cold . I also take it the plumbing , electrical is needed and all is you need is windows and paint maybe misleading to the viewer.

Yeah, I'd take that 10k number with a grain of salt. I imagine that's just for the concrete walls and use of the 3D building machine.

I'd think it could be adaptable to cold climates with proper heating. A lot of Korean houses are built of concrete and use in-floor heating systems rather than forced-air furnaces. That seems to do the trick in the winter.
-Confucius

All-Star

by oo DAWG oo » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:21 pm

PTBO Dave wrote:
BigJoeM wrote:

Yeah, I'd take that 10k number with a grain of salt. I imagine that's just for the concrete walls and use of the 3D building machine.

I'd think it could be adaptable to cold climates with proper heating. A lot of Korean houses are built of concrete and use in-floor heating systems rather than forced-air furnaces. That seems to do the trick in the winter.

I'm not worried...still need a crew to assemble and dismantle and take care of the machinery . not to mention finish the job...
Then there is building codes and all that stuff.
Interesting concept tho..could make some really unique designs
All-Star

by Aerial » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:19 pm

The goal of science is to see that robots do all the real work and make managers say "hey, look no human resource overhead in my dep't" while we humans lounge on the beachfront and have some sort of gov't income to see to it.

Ok, science is ok. :D
We should expect to receive from our healthcare system evidence-based basic best practices from our healthcare providers. But we should demand much more in our individual care - Anon
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:35 pm

-Confucius

All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:34 pm

Fascinating new way to grow human heart tissue—on a spinach leaf!

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170322152753.htm
-Confucius

All-Star

by BigJoeM » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:56 pm

PTBO Dave wrote:Fascinating new way to grow human heart tissue—on a spinach leaf!

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170322152753.htm

Crossing Kingdoms is a good name for their paper . I have trouble keeping weeds and crab grass away and they are replacing cells or decell with heart cells ; incredible .

Bring on the nano bots to fight disease and repair our bodies .
Veteran

by oo DAWG oo » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:12 pm

Who here would be a passenger IN A DRONE...
Not sure if i'd be on board...
On the plus side no human error or suicidal pilots....but pilots have saved lives before...
Auto pilot just scares me i guess

http://www.popsci.com/passenger-drone-taxis-dubai
All-Star

PreviousNext