Science and any new Discoveries of interest .

Science and any new Discoveries of interest .

by BigJoeM » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:47 pm

Because I went off topic on American Politics I decided to open a hopefully an open forum on any new technology or scientific theory being discussed either in the past or present . I stress the open part because anything said can be construed as controversial or just plain whacky .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

Re: Science and any new Discoveries of interest .

by ryan3434 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:58 pm

Kinda sciency

Scientist believe Amelia Earhart died 30 days on an island after plane crash new investigations find.

This chick was bad ass. Maybe though if she was a he Amelia wouldnt of crashed in the first place but thats another dicussion lol
I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement and physics!

Feminazis.. Not better women just crappy men.
All-Star

by BigJoeM » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:10 pm

Yah it's a cool theory Ryan . That kinda stuff like the Lindbergh baby theories and Jon-Benet investigation ( I think the brother hit her ) all funnel under this banner .

They are all exercise for the brain .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by RedandWhite » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:37 pm

Antimatter is matter travelling backwards through time

Antimatter is utterly ridiculous: the evil opposite of matter which annihilates it on contact, with spectacular explosions. Did this stuff escape from a Star Trek episode, and do the anti-bosons have little evil beards and eye patches? The thing is, we've not only detected antimatter, but we can also now churn it out of particle accelerators and hold it in magnetic bottles for 15 minutes. Labs can hold antimatter longer than most guys can hold a pint.

Antimatter's most famous application is annihilating matter to release 90 million billion times as much energy (c-squared is a hell of an exchange rate). This spectacular factor might be because antimatter annihilation is everyone losing at a game of time-travel chicken. The Feynman-Stueckelberg interpretation treats antimatter as matter going backwards in time. So when it hits regular matter going forward, it's not just two objects touching; it's a head-on collision in the fourth dimension. It's only one of several ideas, but it's the one most likely to make Star Fleet finally install seat belts on their ships.

The best bit about this idea is that it already works in the equations. Antimatter inverts all kinds of important quantities, but instead of inventing a new mode of matter, you get the same effect by multiplying time by -1. After all of our science-fiction and magical fantasies, it turns out the real time traveler was inside our state-of-the-art particle accelerators all along. Though, uh, that's probably where we would have expected to find them. When you tell Doc Brown, break it to him gently.
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Site Staff

by RedandWhite » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:41 pm

Reality could shatter at any moment

Buddhism says that emptiness is things not having an inherent nature. Physics says that emptiness could be a ticking time bomb of omni-annihilating, universe-rupturing doom. Which would also bring all things to one in peace.

The idea is that even empty space could break. Sorry, there's no way of talking about this which doesn't sound like a 17-year-old goth after a bad breakup. (Note: All goth breakups are bad breakups, but that's good gothing, so it's hard to say if it's good or bad.) We think an empty vacuum is the lowest energy state of existence. But if there is another, lower-energy state below it, then our entire reality is thin ice over a frozen lake. Just one puncture would cause the whole thing to sink. An entirely new universe would radiate from the reality fracture point, known as a "vacuum metastability event".

Since even changes in the laws of physics have to travel at lightspeed (they have to obey the laws until they replace them), we wouldn't even see it coming before it hit. And we wouldn't exist afterwards. We could lose all that exists if even the darkness between our stars is only false vacuum (there is NOTHING more goth than physics). The multiple-universe version of the idea is even more fun: It says that existence is a bubble bath of entire universes constantly popping out of existence, and at any moment, ours is just one which hasn't yet chaotically annihilated itself. Yet.

This thought sounds like it was screamed from a street corner rather than developed in a lab. But it's been tested by the most advanced machinery ever made. When the Large Hadron Collider found the mass of the Higgs boson, we were able to calculate whether our universe is stable. And the answer is ... "-ish." The required minimum Higgs mass for "Universe NOT popping like an old birthday balloon" is 129.8 GeV. The measured Higgs Boson mass is 125 GeV.

But in physics, a number without error bars is a knife without a handle. The error bars on that minimum mass are plus or minus 5.6 GeV, so the safe value should be somewhere between 124.2 and 135.4 GeV. We've measured 125.1, plus or minus about 0.2 GeV. So what that confusing mess of gibberish-sounding numbers means is ... we're, uh, maybe okay? At the outer edges of probably not disappearing? To narrow down those existential error bars, we need to make better measurements of something called the top quark pole mass. Listen: Just pretend The Doctor or Data said that and accept it. We're working on it.

In the meantime, what's a little "reality randomly shattering without warning" between friends? Look at it this way: The next time you're wondering whether to enjoy another donut or beer, physics says YES!!!
Site Staff

by RedandWhite » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:47 pm

Existence can ripple

Throw a stone into a pond, and the water ripples. Smash two black holes together at half the speed of light, and existence ripples. They collide so hard that you don't need to hear anything, because space itself is screaming and shaking up and down in a detectable way. But you've got to expect something amazing when 60 octillion tons of spherical singularities slam together like Galactus twerking. Einstein predicted these "gravitational waves" over a century ago, and their banging is so hard that reality is jolted.

Smashing spacetime so powerfully that it wobbles. And we've already detected it. Two singularities slammed into each other like the ultimate subwoofer, blasting bass notes through the fabric of reality. Three entire solar masses were converted into gravitational wave energy -- a process over 50 times more powerful than the entire visible universe. It was so spacetime-staggering that we felt the effects over a billion light years away. On September 14, 2015, every cell in your body was gently squeezed by black holes getting it on.

The measurement was made by LIGO, the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory -- aka the most impressive anything on the surface of this or any other planet. It's a pair of set-squares for spacetime, two vast L-shaped installations four kilometers long on each arm, and every micrometer is in an ultrahigh vacuum. And they're on opposite sides of the country, so that they can use almost the entire North American continent as a 10-millisecond timing delay. In each, LIGO lasers bounce back and forth between mirrors more carefully isolated than Kanye West's sense of humor. The result is a ruler so accurate that when its reading varies, it's the universe that changed.

Detecting gravitational waves is so staggering that even working out the idea that it would one day be possible earned someone the 1993 Nobel Prize for Physics. And now we've done it. This is the metrological Moon landing. Oh, and then we detected some more a few weeks ago. Because that's science -- "the most impressive and amazing thing we've ever done as a species" quickly becomes "something we can do, so let's do it more. Then see what comes next." Wooo!
Site Staff

by ryan3434 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:22 pm

RedandWhite wrote:Reality could shatter at any moment

Buddhism says that emptiness is things not having an inherent nature. Physics says that emptiness could be a ticking time bomb of omni-annihilating, universe-rupturing doom. Which would also bring all things to one in peace.

The idea is that even empty space could break. Sorry, there's no way of talking about this which doesn't sound like a 17-year-old goth after a bad breakup. (Note: All goth breakups are bad breakups, but that's good gothing, so it's hard to say if it's good or bad.) We think an empty vacuum is the lowest energy state of existence. But if there is another, lower-energy state below it, then our entire reality is thin ice over a frozen lake. Just one puncture would cause the whole thing to sink. An entirely new universe would radiate from the reality fracture point, known as a "vacuum metastability event".

Since even changes in the laws of physics have to travel at lightspeed (they have to obey the laws until they replace them), we wouldn't even see it coming before it hit. And we wouldn't exist afterwards. We could lose all that exists if even the darkness between our stars is only false vacuum (there is NOTHING more goth than physics). The multiple-universe version of the idea is even more fun: It says that existence is a bubble bath of entire universes constantly popping out of existence, and at any moment, ours is just one which hasn't yet chaotically annihilated itself. Yet.

This thought sounds like it was screamed from a street corner rather than developed in a lab. But it's been tested by the most advanced machinery ever made. When the Large Hadron Collider found the mass of the Higgs boson, we were able to calculate whether our universe is stable. And the answer is ... "-ish."
The required minimum Higgs mass for "Universe NOT popping like an old birthday balloon" is 129.8 GeV. The measured Higgs Boson mass is 125 GeV.

But in physics, a number without error bars is a knife without a handle. The error bars on that minimum mass are plus or minus 5.6 GeV, so the safe value should be somewhere between 124.2 and 135.4 GeV. We've measured 125.1, plus or minus about 0.2 GeV. So what that confusing mess of gibberish-sounding numbers means is ... we're, uh, maybe okay? At the outer edges of probably not disappearing? To narrow down those existential error bars, we need to make better measurements of something called the top quark pole mass. Listen: Just pretend The Doctor or Data said that and accept it. We're working on it.

In the meantime, what's a little "reality randomly shattering without warning" between friends? Look at it this way: The next time you're wondering whether to enjoy another donut or beer, physics says YES!!!

Suck on that William Lane Craig and your 'the universe is so fined tuned for us that there has to be a god' argument.

All-Star

by ryan3434 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:26 pm

RedandWhite wrote:Antimatter is matter travelling backwards through time

Antimatter is utterly ridiculous: the evil opposite of matter which annihilates it on contact, with spectacular explosions. Did this stuff escape from a Star Trek episode, and do the anti-bosons have little evil beards and eye patches? The thing is, we've not only detected antimatter, but we can also now churn it out of particle accelerators and hold it in magnetic bottles for 15 minutes. Labs can hold antimatter longer than most guys can hold a pint.

Antimatter's most famous application is annihilating matter to release 90 million billion times as much energy (c-squared is a hell of an exchange rate). This spectacular factor might be because antimatter annihilation is everyone losing at a game of time-travel chicken. The Feynman-Stueckelberg interpretation treats antimatter as matter going backwards in time. So when it hits regular matter going forward, it's not just two objects touching; it's a head-on collision in the fourth dimension. It's only one of several ideas, but it's the one most likely to make Star Fleet finally install seat belts on their ships.

The best bit about this idea is that it already works in the equations. Antimatter inverts all kinds of important quantities, but instead of inventing a new mode of matter, you get the same effect by multiplying time by -1. After all of our science-fiction and magical fantasies, it turns out the real time traveler was inside our state-of-the-art particle accelerators all along. Though, uh, that's probably where we would have expected to find them. When you tell Doc Brown, break it to him gently.

This is pretty cool. Harness the power of the antimatter muahahaha

Heh maybe thats why if im remembering correctly many were saying the collider would destroy us

All-Star

by BigJoeM » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:26 pm

That's pretty dark stuff I can see why you say it sounds goth .
Veteran

by RedandWhite » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:06 pm

...fwiw, I didn't write that stuff, I just ripped it off a website...

...ryan, I do think the universe is fairly finely tuned, the popping out of existence thing is only a theory remember...it obviously hasn't happened yet, 15 billions years or so and counting....
Site Staff

by Argonauts est.1873 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:12 pm

Cold Amsterdam Down Town Brown now that's a scientific marvel. Time to crack another.
Rescue the sunken 'Good Ship Argonaut' and restore her in 2017, PLEASE!!!!

Stay in Canada, spend in Canada!!!!!
All-Star

by RedandWhite » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:59 pm

Argonauts est.1873 wrote:Cold Amsterdam Down Town Brown

...I'm hesitant to Google that...ryan, you do it first...
Site Staff

by ryan3434 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:11 pm

RedandWhite wrote:...fwiw, I didn't write that stuff, I just ripped it off a website...

...ryan, I do think the universe is fairly finely tuned, the popping out of existence thing is only a theory remember...it obviously hasn't happened yet, 15 billions years or so and counting....

But 15 million years could be a blink if its a correct theory..

If universes are constantly poping in and out with an infinite amount of time or no time at all. it will eventually hit on the right combo.

Listen to lawrence krauss talk about the fine tune argument... He explains that if the constant was a bit higher no galaxies could form no life (as we know it) but at zero it would be even greater for human life

All-Star

by ryan3434 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:12 pm

RedandWhite wrote:

Hahah no way sir.

All-Star

by Liquor Kitty » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:55 am

RedandWhite wrote:

Gay pro in the red light district during winter.
Veteran

Next