Business / Investing Talk

Business / Investing Talk

by KevinRiley2 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:30 pm

NOTE :

Any chat in this thread is just that, chat. Always get advice from a professional advisor and do not take advice from people in chat rooms when it comes to your investments.

CIBC acquired PrivateBancorp – a Chicago-based outfit that serves businesses and high-net-worth individuals...

http://www.bnn.ca/News/2016/6/29/Why-hi ... he-US.aspx

In the past CIBC has been known as the bank that couldn't shoot straight. Everything they bought went to hell. Stock down 2.5% on the news. Let's hope they know what they're doing because I guarantee we all have some in our portfolio.
Last edited by KevinRiley2 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All-Star

Re: Business / Investing Talk

by ryan3434 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:37 pm

Not even remotely business or investment savy.

What would you recommend to save for retirement.

I'm starting rather late because I can't seem to get started
I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement and physics!

Feminazis.. Not better women just crappy men.
Hall of Famer

by KevinRiley2 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:50 pm

ryan3434 wrote:Not even remotely business or investment savy.

What would you recommend to save for retirement?

I'm starting rather late because I can't seem to get started

Not sure how old you are and I can't give advice (I'm not a licenced advisor) but I'm fond of BMO's ETF's - the Z series. If/When the market pulls back, I'll buy :

* ZWB (Covered Call on the Canadian banks and has a 5.74% dividend)
* ZWU (Covered Call on Canadian Utilities and pays a 6.8% dividend)
* ZWA (Covered Call on the DOW and pays a 5.25 dividend)

Covered Calls are difficult to explain and require research. Again, best to ask an advisor because my 2 cents is not worth the paper it's printed on. :)

The only thing I can recommend is save, save, save.
All-Star

by ryan3434 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:53 pm

You lost me after how old are you lol its like you started speaking another language

I got the save save save bit though

Hall of Famer

by KevinRiley2 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:55 pm

ryan3434 wrote:You lost me after how old are you lol its like you started speaking another language

I got the save save save bit though

Again, I'm not a licenced advisor so what I wrote is NOT advice. It's just what I'm going to do. Again, always check with a licenced advisor.

People who are smarter than me say it's best to buy an Index ETF with a LOW MER fee, put it away and forget about it.
All-Star

by ryan3434 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:04 pm

Ok I got to make an appointment with a pro.

When putting your money in is it better for slow steady growth or big gambles. I think I'm comfortable somewhere close to big gambles

Hall of Famer

by KevinRiley2 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:06 pm

ryan3434 wrote:Ok I got to make an appointment with a pro.

When putting your money in is it better for slow steady growth or big gambles. I think I'm comfortable somewhere close to big gambles

For me, slow and steady wins the race.

Again, sit down with an advisor because KevinRiley is an idiot. :)
All-Star

by ryan3434 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:17 pm

It's on my tado list this summer

I had a good job about ten years ago that put dollar for dollar into a GIC for their employees, I think it was a GIC. To bad that came to an end I'd be pretty far ahead right now.

Hall of Famer

by KevinRiley2 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:21 pm

ryan3434 wrote:It's on my tado list this summer

I had a good job about ten years ago that put dollar for dollar into a GIC for their employees, I think it was a GIC. To bad that came to an end I'd be pretty far ahead right now.

You are blessed with kids and I'm sure that takes it toll on your savings. Sadly, I never had kids. I wish I had.

Again, all you can do is save. I was always good at it. For me, the choice between going on a 2 week vacation to Aruba or investing the money in bank stock wasn't much of a choice at all.
All-Star

by ryan3434 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:23 pm

You can take mine than. :lol:

Hall of Famer

by KevinRiley2 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:24 pm

ryan3434 wrote:You can take mine than. :lol:

You are a lucky guy. :thup:
All-Star

by West » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:15 am

Looks like Volkswagon just settled a 15 billion dollar lawsuit in the United States from their emissions-cheating scandal.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e30638311/
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:18 am

KevinRiley2 wrote: For me, the choice between going on a 2 week vacation to Aruba or investing the money in bank stock wasn't much of a choice at all.

Yes clearly the correct choice is to take that well deserved vacation. It's good for the soul, it's good for your health, it's good for businesses that need your money more than the banks do. Oh - and of course be sure to book it with a travel professional like me. You only live once. (I think). ;-)
All-Star

by West » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:51 am

TravelPat1 wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote: For me, the choice between going on a 2 week vacation to Aruba or investing the money in bank stock wasn't much of a choice at all.

Yes clearly the correct choice is to take that well deserved vacation. It's good for the soul, it's good for your health, it's good for businesses that need your money more than the banks do. Oh - and of course be sure to book it with a travel professional like me. You only live once. (I think). ;-)

:thup:
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:44 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:

I think you misread my comments (smile).

I'm not much of a traveler. I never understood the appeal. Just last week, I went for a walk by The Falls and it was the first time I seen it in 10(?) years - and it is only 15 minutes from my house. I figure, "If I'm not going to see Niagara Falls (for free), I'm not travelling to some far off land to see their natural wonders."

Anyway, to each their own.
All-Star

Next