Chess... It's a Sport!!!!

Chess... It's a Sport!!!!

by KevinRiley2 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:29 pm

I don't care if I am the ONLY one who visits this thread...
All-Star

Re: Chess... It's a Sport!!!!

by KevinRiley2 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:42 pm

1. e4 / c5
2. Nf3 / d6
3. d4 / cxd4
4. Nxd4 / Nf6
5. Nc3 / a6
6. Bc4 / e6
7. f3 / Be7
8. Be3 / Nbd7
9. Qd2 / Qc7
10. Bb3 / Nc5
11. g4 / Nxb3
12. Nxb3 / b5
13. O-O-O / Bb7
14. h4 / Rc8
15. h5 / b4
16. Ne2 / a5

On move 16, I played a5 because I was worried about the White Queen picking up my Pawn on b4. Can you spot what I missed???

So mad at myself for missing the sacrifice : Knight takes either the g4 or e4 pawn. The White Pawn takes my Knight and my Bishop takes the e4 pawn. Yes, I am down a Knight. Yes, I only have 2 pawns in exchange. BUT(!), my Bishop is baring down on the h1 Rook AND the c2 Pawn.

* If White moves the Rook, my Queen takes c2 and White is in BIG TROUBLE.

* If White plays Na1 protecting c2, my Bishop takes the Rook on h1 and I end up with a Rook and 2 pawns for a Knight and Bishop. A trade I'd make any day. :thup:
All-Star

by FootbalYouBet » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:45 pm

I used to play a fair game of chess. Had a computer version that had 10 levels. I played mostly level 6 winning just over half. However, my mind is not what it use to be and I dropped down to barely being able to win level 2. sigh.

Can't concentrate anymore.
Live well and please God

FYB has left the building
Hall of Famer

by KevinRiley2 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:45 am

FootbalYouBet wrote:I used to play a fair game of chess. Had a computer version that had 10 levels. I played mostly level 6 winning just over half. However, my mind is not what it use to be and I dropped down to barely being able to win level 2. sigh.

Can't concentrate anymore.

I know how that feels. The mind does not stay sharp. Sad.
All-Star

by Mark » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:29 pm

All-Star

by Aerial » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:44 pm

I thought sport had to have some physicality to it to be classified as a sport? Ok, if you dress like an athlete I guess that's enough. :D

Fortunately my noggin probably wouldn't allow me to be able to learn the game but I have to admit, it's "breathtaking" to watch when I try and watch it as an actual sport. :P
We should expect to receive from our healthcare system evidence-based basic best practices from our healthcare providers. But we should demand much more in our individual care - Anon
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:46 pm

Mark wrote:Image

???

What is this?
All-Star

by Mark » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:07 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:

???

What is this?

CHESS BOXING!
"This is a sport that is a perfect mash up of brains and muscle. The participants need to be skilled at both chess as well as boxing because as the name suggests, this sport includes both games. There are alternate rounds of chess and boxing which allows the inner boxer to take a break and recoup while working the mind to try and knockout their opponent with a checkmate instead of a right upper cut. People have taken a liking to the sport because it is not all about brutality and neither is it all about boring slow moves of chess. It’s a perfect marriage. Whoever thought it up, there’s just one word – genius."(Quote from Google- not me)

MORE?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing
OR
From TIME Magazine...[url].http://content.time.com/time/arts/artic ... 39,00.html[/url]
All-Star

by RedandWhite » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:26 pm

....this is why TSN should take one of those 5 channels and make one of them an Extreme channel...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Site Staff

by KevinRiley2 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:02 pm

Mark wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:

???

What is this?

CHESS BOXING!
"This is a sport that is a perfect mash up of brains and muscle. The participants need to be skilled at both chess as well as boxing because as the name suggests, this sport includes both games. There are alternate rounds of chess and boxing which allows the inner boxer to take a break and recoup while working the mind to try and knockout their opponent with a checkmate instead of a right upper cut. People have taken a liking to the sport because it is not all about brutality and neither is it all about boring slow moves of chess. It’s a perfect marriage. Whoever thought it up, there’s just one word – genius."(Quote from Google- not me)

MORE?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing
OR
From TIME Magazine...[url].http://content.time.com/time/arts/artic ... 39,00.html[/url]

LOL. Thanks!
All-Star

by FootbalYouBet » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:55 pm

if they can call golf, darts, billiards and poker sports, then they can call anything sports.
Live well and please God

Hall of Famer

by Aerial » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:57 am

Heck, regular ordinary sex even alone sex :P has more physicality and some might say as well strategy, to it than chess. :lol:
We should expect to receive from our healthcare system evidence-based basic best practices from our healthcare providers. But we should demand much more in our individual care - Anon
All-Star

by deerkeeper » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:58 pm

I use to belong to a few Chess Clubs right from grade school through High School. This thread started to make me wonder if Chess Clubs still exist in schools or have they all been replaced by computer gaming clubs.
Veteran

by Mark » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:09 pm

For the affirmative....http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18987876

in: Eur J Appl Physiol. 2009 Feb;105(3):343-9. Epub 2008 Nov 6.
The stress of chess players as a model to study the effects of psychological stimuli on physiological responses: an example of substrate oxidation and heart rate variability in man.

Physical strain? Karpov’s 10 kilo weight loss during his World Championship match against Kasparov in 84-85!

And from http://chess.about.com/od/chesshistory/a/Is-Chess-A-Sport.htm
Those who lean towards chess as being a sport look to broad definitions of sport to find a way to fit chess into that category. While they admit that chess doesn’t fit under the umbrella of athletics, they say that sport is a wider category. There’s tradition for this definition dating back to the ancient Olympics of Greece, where artistic skills and more were grouped under the heading of sports.

For those who don’t like that argument or insist on using only the modern definition of a sport, advocates of this side of the debate can point out that athletic prowess may not be required to play chess, but it certainly helps. Modern grandmasters almost universally do what they can to say in shape, as chess players (along with those in other pursuits like poker) have discovered that the mind works better when the body is in shape. Top chess trainers have long advocated physical exercise as a part of training for chess, and elite players from Bobby Fischer to Magnus Carlsen have been known for their interest in sports and fitness.

This fitness can pay off. Those who regard chess as a sport point out that while games may start of as mentally demanding, the stress and fatigue of a six-hour game (and especially after several such games in a tournament or match) begins to make playing physically draining as well.

And while that might not be perfectly analogous to football or track, it is certainly similar to some other activities that are generally considered sports (if not universally so), such as golf, motor racing, and archery. None of these sports requires the same kind of athleticism as a sport where players are constantly running and jumping, and yet being in shape is virtually a requirement for professional competitors, and even more so for the elite in those sports. Certainly, then, an argument can be made that chess is a sport in the same way that those activities are.
All-Star

by FootbalYouBet » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:22 pm

well I don't buy that argument. It doesn't matter what they do in between games to keep their mind in shape, the actual game is still not a sport.
Live well and please God

Hall of Famer

Next