Atlantic Schooners

Re: Atlantic Schooners

by Argofan_1000 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:02 pm

slimjim2 wrote:
Cool wrote:Great post. Haven't bumped this thread in awhile. :thup:

Where is it? And why's it taking so long?

#AtlanticSchooners


No owners, no stadium and I don't see any CFL fans in Halifax getting together to lobby for a team or putting down deposits for seats. Where are the grassroots?
Seems to me there is very little interest in the CFL in Halifax.


I agree. Halifax must build grassroots support for a CFL team or the league isn't coming.
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 627
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:38 am

Re: Atlantic Schooners

by BigJoeM » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:43 pm

Bayargonaut00 wrote:I'm telling you guys right now that NO One is going to even think of investing in infrastructure for a team or a team itself until the TV contract Guarantees that all teams will be in the green, regardless of gate.
Having the tenth team guarantees new eyes, so we kind of need it to see a substantial increase in tv contracts. It's a bit of a catch 22 :S



An extra 5 million a year would do the trick but I doubt a team and stadium could be built sooner than the new contract renewal which would be even more enticing with a 10 team CFL and a 10 team CPL . I expect a bigger
contract especially if they go one provider but the leaguers best interest is to NFL it with selling the days of the week , playoffs and Grey Cup separately .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Atlantic Schooners

by BigJoeM » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:47 pm

HfxTC wrote:The city of Halifax has put 20 million dollars aside as a gift to whoever wants to come in and build a stadium that's on top of possible land and tax deals and no one has shown the slightest interest.

Haven't heard the league offer a franchise for halifax free of charge which at least would closely match the commitment the city of Halifax has made.

This league doesn't know how to grow. They tried once and almost bankrupted themselves and this is the result...

With an economy in Atlantic Canada that's the worst I've seen since the late eighties recession. I can't imagine a stadium being built here for at least a generation.


I do agree the league would need to be part of the solution and forego a entry fee . Maybe with the CPL dream they can have two teams one stadium and go with a Saputo stadium and the 20 million would go further with a major sponsor . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saputo_Stadium There is a lot of bang for the buck . 47 million not bad .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Atlantic Schooners

by Cool » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:11 am

BigJoeM wrote:
Bayargonaut00 wrote:I'm telling you guys right now that NO One is going to even think of investing in infrastructure for a team or a team itself until the TV contract Guarantees that all teams will be in the green, regardless of gate.
Having the tenth team guarantees new eyes, so we kind of need it to see a substantial increase in tv contracts. It's a bit of a catch 22 :S



An extra 5 million a year would do the trick but I doubt a team and stadium could be built sooner than the new contract renewal which would be even more enticing with a 10 team CFL and a 10 team CPL . I expect a bigger
contract especially if they go one provider but the leaguers best interest is to NFL it with selling the days of the week , playoffs and Grey Cup separately .


Yes, definitely chicken and egg (to quote another post). The League is not going to add a zero (0) to then end of their revenues until they add a 10th team. The TV contract will grow, as no doubt it will increase eyeballs; and better yet, because difference usually attracts more, will help get more people to live games... There's nothing going on in the Maritimes other than transfer payments... Why not transfer them this?
Pull Together everyone
1873
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1236
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:45 pm
Location: Ajax

Re: Atlantic Schooners

by The Last Word » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:08 pm

BigJoeM wrote:For any team in the CFL wanting to join it will be the chicken or the egg .

You can't convince people to buy into something without a stadium or at least the prospect of a stadium to play .

The civic , private or combination will be forged together with a legacy tenant without one I doubt a stadium with
23,000 to 24,000 seating will be built .

So without Leadership it won't happen .Whether it's in a private or community base ownership which I feel will be best bet with sponsorships to help build the stadium , team and on going finances to cover the on going costs .

With the sponsors in place the CFL needs to head hunt for a board of local entrepreneurs to carry the ball . Then go after the finances to get a modest stadium built for Halifax .

The CFL is the one who is dropping the ball as they are the only ones having the ability to fuel the interest with the real prospects of a community based team which Cohon suggested as viable . I wish they used some of their money , time and energy in investing into the future of the CFL by getting that needed not just wanted but needed 5 th team in the East and join the league coast to coast . The future of the league depends on it .


This is some good comedy right here. The fact is Halifax was offered a CFL team 3 decades ago and they failed miserably in drumming up local interest for ownership and a new stadium. There has been little movement since then. Let's face facts and admit that Halifax is rather emblematic of the culture of defeatism and a can not due attitude that pervades all corners of the Maritimes. That my friends is...

The Last Word
Starter
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Re: Atlantic Schooners

by The Last Word » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:15 pm

BigJoeM wrote:
HfxTC wrote:The city of Halifax has put 20 million dollars aside as a gift to whoever wants to come in and build a stadium that's on top of possible land and tax deals and no one has shown the slightest interest.

Haven't heard the league offer a franchise for halifax free of charge which at least would closely match the commitment the city of Halifax has made.

This league doesn't know how to grow. They tried once and almost bankrupted themselves and this is the result...

With an economy in Atlantic Canada that's the worst I've seen since the late eighties recession. I can't imagine a stadium being built here for at least a generation.


I do agree the league would need to be part of the solution and forego a entry fee . Maybe with the CPL dream they can have two teams one stadium and go with a Saputo stadium and the 20 million would go further with a major sponsor . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saputo_Stadium There is a lot of bang for the buck . 47 million not bad .


So all the CFL teams should tolerate a smaller piece of the pie (dividing tv revenues and league-wide corporate sponsorships by 10 teams instead of 9) in exchange for nothing!? Yeah, I'm sure that would go over well with the CFL Board of Governors. :lol: :roll:
Starter
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Re: Atlantic Schooners

by The Last Word » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:23 pm

Why do people insist the TV contract will increase by a substantial amount in 6 years? Many of you must be over 50 or 60 years old and and live in the bubble of old media. Sports networks have been bleeding tv subscribers by the hundreds of thousands in Canada and the US (see ESPN) as younger generations have turned their noses up at the outrageous fees and have sought alternative media to get their sports fix. The tv bubble is ready to pop and the CFL missed their chance for any significant increase in tv revenues when they signed the 5-year extension on the current deal with a very modest bump annually. Once that contract expires in 6 more years, the tv landscape with have changed dramatically and there will be no substantial gains to be made from this dying model.

The Last Word
Starter
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Re: Atlantic Schooners

by Argofan_1000 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:36 pm

The Last Word wrote:
BigJoeM wrote:For any team in the CFL wanting to join it will be the chicken or the egg .

You can't convince people to buy into something without a stadium or at least the prospect of a stadium to play .

The civic , private or combination will be forged together with a legacy tenant without one I doubt a stadium with
23,000 to 24,000 seating will be built .

So without Leadership it won't happen .Whether it's in a private or community base ownership which I feel will be best bet with sponsorships to help build the stadium , team and on going finances to cover the on going costs .

With the sponsors in place the CFL needs to head hunt for a board of local entrepreneurs to carry the ball . Then go after the finances to get a modest stadium built for Halifax .

The CFL is the one who is dropping the ball as they are the only ones having the ability to fuel the interest with the real prospects of a community based team which Cohon suggested as viable . I wish they used some of their money , time and energy in investing into the future of the CFL by getting that needed not just wanted but needed 5 th team in the East and join the league coast to coast . The future of the league depends on it .


This is some good comedy right here. The fact is Halifax was offered a CFL team 3 decades ago and they failed miserably in drumming up local interest for ownership and a new stadium. There has been little movement since then. Let's face facts and admit that Halifax is rather emblematic of the culture of defeatism and a can not due attitude that pervades all corners of the Maritimes. That my friends is...

The Last Word


They need a boost out there for sure. There have been City Mayors throughout Canada that seemed to get things done even when money was tight. They could use some of the 20 million they have available for a CFL team and commission a study for a stadium site and see where things develop from there.

Is there a sports radio station out in the eastern provinces? TSN radio could syndicate a broadcast in the maritime provinces from Halifax and start discussing various sports teams to bring them back into the fold. I am sure this could be popular out east. TSN Hamilton seems to be doing quite well, why not Halifax. CFL and U sport Football, Hockey NHL, Jr. can start to be discussed. People need to feel like things are progressing. Right now, from here it doesn't look like much is going on.
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 627
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:38 am

Re: Atlantic Schooners

by BigJoeM » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:30 pm

The Lost Idiot wrote:Why do people insist the TV contract will increase by a substantial amount in 6 years? Many of you must be over 50 or 60 years old and and live in the bubble of old media. Sports networks have been bleeding tv subscribers by the hundreds of thousands in Canada and the US (see ESPN) as younger generations have turned their noses up at the outrageous fees and have sought alternative media to get their sports fix. The tv bubble is ready to pop and the CFL missed their chance for any significant increase in tv revenues when they signed the 5-year extension on the current deal with a very modest bump annually. Once that contract expires in 6 more years, the tv landscape with have changed dramatically and there will be no substantial gains to be made from this dying model.

The Lost Idiot


There I changed your handle perfectly .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Atlantic Schooners

by BigJoeM » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:46 pm

The Last Word wrote:
BigJoeM wrote:
HfxTC wrote:The city of Halifax has put 20 million dollars aside as a gift to whoever wants to come in and build a stadium that's on top of possible land and tax deals and no one has shown the slightest interest.

Haven't heard the league offer a franchise for halifax free of charge which at least would closely match the commitment the city of Halifax has made.

This league doesn't know how to grow. They tried once and almost bankrupted themselves and this is the result...

With an economy in Atlantic Canada that's the worst I've seen since the late eighties recession. I can't imagine a stadium being built here for at least a generation.


I do agree the league would need to be part of the solution and forego a entry fee . Maybe with the CPL dream they can have two teams one stadium and go with a Saputo stadium and the 20 million would go further with a major sponsor . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saputo_Stadium There is a lot of bang for the buck . 47 million not bad .


So all the CFL teams should tolerate a smaller piece of the pie (dividing tv revenues and league-wide corporate sponsorships by 10 teams instead of 9) in exchange for nothing!? Yeah, I'm sure that would go over well with the CFL Board of Governors. :thup: :


Reading ability should be a test for the lost idiot . TV / Internet revenues will go up .I take it your not very good with
the concept of appointment viewing that will always have a place for making money . Pro sports is not going anywhere for awhile but you wouldn't know that since you get your facts from your Kleenex box .

Keep the lost idiot final thoughts away from any intelligent conversation .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Atlantic Schooners

by The Last Word » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:30 pm

BigJoeM wrote:
The Last Genius wrote:Why do people insist the TV contract will increase by a substantial amount in 6 years? Many of you must be over 50 or 60 years old and and live in the bubble of old media. Sports networks have been bleeding tv subscribers by the hundreds of thousands in Canada and the US (see ESPN) as younger generations have turned their noses up at the outrageous fees and have sought alternative media to get their sports fix. The tv bubble is ready to pop and the CFL missed their chance for any significant increase in tv revenues when they signed the 5-year extension on the current deal with a very modest bump annually. Once that contract expires in 6 more years, the tv landscape with have changed dramatically and there will be no substantial gains to be made from this dying model.

The Last Genius


There I changed your handle perfectly .


Wow. What are you twelve. :lol: Based on your assertions that the CFL should reward Halifax with a free expansion team I am probably not far off.

That's OK I fixed it again.
Starter
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Re: Atlantic Schooners

by The Last Word » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:59 pm

BigJoeM wrote:
Reading ability should be a test for the lost idiot . TV / Internet revenues will go up .I take it your not very good with
the concept of appointment viewing that will always have a place for making money . Pro sports is not going anywhere for awhile but you wouldn't know that since you get your facts from your Kleenex box .

Keep the lost idiot final thoughts away from any intelligent conversation .


Suggesting the CFL owners would forgo an expansion fee to place a team in what would be the smallest market in the CFL (Halifax < Saskatchewan) that also happens to be unproven in its ability to support any real professional franchise is a fools errand and not something a reasonably intelligent businessman would do. Where is your proof that ratings we see a substantial increase? Outside of last season ratings have been trending downwards for the past 5 - 6 years when the previous CFL tv contract was signed. Will a small market like Halifax provide the bump in tv ratings to the point where they will match or exceed those from CFL's viewing peak? Possible but pretty unlikely.

The owners will not gamble waiving an expansion fee for the remote possibility that a small city will provide a large boost in national TV ratings resulting in a big TV contract. It's not good business sense to make such reckless decisions with little payoff. As for your presumption that TV/Internet revenues will increase I bet if I dug long enough into your's and others post histories I would not at all be surprised if I found similar comments prior to the extension of the previous tv contract 2 years ago.

I'm sure prior to 2015 (when tv extension was announced) the sentiment from many around here was that TSN or some other network would have to pay a substantial increase over the annual $40 million that was paid at the time once the contract expired. People were probably saying the CFL undersold the rights and TSN got a whale of a deal but would be paying through the nose come 2017 or 2018 when the rights were up for negotiation.

Then what happened? Why the tv contract with TSN was extended for another 5 seasons with barely an increase. Now the goalposts have been moved and there are posters here who have convinced themselves that surely NEXT TIME when the current TV deal has expired TSN (or some other broadcaster) will have to pay a substantial increase (I have seen double and even triple the current amount :lol: from some posters here) for the privilege of broadcasting CFL games...all while ratings are lower than they were years ago....and people keep dropping their cable providers/sports channels ultimately meaning fewer eyeballs on the screen. Internet viewing will not necessarily compensate for that as early adaptors (AKA younger folks) are less likely to watch the CFL.

Your insults are duly noted as nothing more than a frustrated person with nothing of substance to add to the conversation. That my friend is...

The Last Word
Starter
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Re: Atlantic Schooners

by BigJoeM » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:08 pm

The Last Juvenile wrote:
BigJoeM wrote:
The Last Juvenile wrote:Why do people insist the TV contract will increase by a substantial amount in 6 years? Many of you must be over 50 or 60 years old and and live in the bubble of old media. Sports networks have been bleeding tv subscribers by the hundreds of thousands in Canada and the US (see ESPN) as younger generations have turned their noses up at the outrageous fees and have sought alternative media to get their sports fix. The tv bubble is ready to pop and the CFL missed their chance for any significant increase in tv revenues when they signed the 5-year extension on the current deal with a very modest bump annually. Once that contract expires in 6 more years, the tv landscape with have changed dramatically and there will be no substantial gains to be made from this dying model.

The Last Juvenile


There I changed your handle perfectly .


Wow. What are you twelve. :lol: Based on your assertions that the CFL should reward Halifax with a free expansion team I am probably not far off.

Really genius and Toronto was purchased and worth what ? Ottawa reportedly paid
7 million I doubt that amount is a game changer or worth it to the CFL in the realm of adding the long wanted 5 th team in the east especially if it's Community owned ( non profit genius) .

That's OK I fixed it again.


At least I got you to stop that juvenile nonsense the last word at the end of your obnoxious posts . :cowboy: :thup: :thup: :thup: :lol: :lol:
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Atlantic Schooners

by BigJoeM » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:33 pm

[/quote
]“I don’t want expansion for expansion’s sake,” Cohon said. “You’ve seen in other leagues where sometimes expansion can get you in trouble. If it’s the right business plan, if it’s the right model in terms of ownership group, if the community’s behind it, I think we’ll want to do that.

“But what we’re seeing from the RedBlacks coming into the league is that it’s raising the boat for all the teams. Sponsors are very interested, we have nine more games on TSN and RDS. It creates excitement across the whole country, and it creates a new base of fans here in the nation’s capital.”

Cohon said in 2010 an expansion fee for a franchise in Atlantic Canada would be more than $7 million.

On Wednesday, he said the Saskatchewan Roughriders are an ideal franchise to model future teams after.

"The one thing that I’ve learned in this job, which is interesting and I think the Roughriders are a great example of it, community-owned teams really are successful, they get behind it, they feel a sense of ownership. If we were going to consider a team in Atlantic Canada, I would like to look at that model as well," he said
.

If the CFL is going East they need to be a little more realistic with any expansion fee and since they would benefit
with better viewing sponsors it's in their best interest to give a community owned team as many financial breaks they could even if the payment is differed on a on going basis until the team is on solid footing; it is required in this region.
I am sure if Lansdowne park was not there we would have NO team in Ottawa right now .CFL profit margin is not going to get anyone rich nor are their valuations rising in the Canadian marketplace compared to the majors down south .

Philanthropy is constant with the CFL and is required for a community team in the East just like the rest of the CFL has been given by their benefactors whether government hand outs or rich guys like Braley holding up a few teams over the years . It's the CFL ; how else could have this league survived this long .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Atlantic Schooners

by Vermonter » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:59 pm

How about a team in Greenland? :twisted:
:cowboy:

Image
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:39 pm

PreviousNext

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 59 guests