Atlantic Schooners

Re: Atlantic Schooners

by The Last Word » Thu May 04, 2017 6:59 pm

A CFL team in Halifax is beginning to look as remote as an NFL team in Toronto if we are being completely honest.
Starter

by -Hammer- » Thu May 04, 2017 8:59 pm

slimjim2 wrote:
Grover wrote:I agree a successful CPL team playing in a small popup Stadium can lead to a consortium to building a full sized Stadium that the CPL team, a CFL expansion team and the Civic and Provincial Governments could all be a part of down the road.

I doubt that at all. The city can approve a 5,000 temp seating stadium for soccer, a soccer team will be popular, it's a fast growing sport and ideal for a city the size of Halifax. You can play 20 plus soccer games in a 5k stadium and it will probably be succesful.
But the city would never spend another $150 MILLION to add another 20,000 seats in an unproven, small market area for a football team that only plays 9 games a year.
The CFL in Halifax will never happen.

The point though is if you start consistently drawing 5,000, then you expand your stadium and eventually you get to the point where, yes you start getting into a CFL conversation, espcially if the owner has cash. You gotta crawl before you can walk.

I honestly do feel that Halifax could have a team, but right now the town, and even the region doesn't show any signs of being ready for one. The fact that Moncton panned out after three touchdown Atlantic games speaks volumes and it's not like the Huskie's are making a giant CIS splash. Quebec City I still feel remains the better place for expansion, if somehow the league can break into the the city and finally go for a pro-team instead of being the big fish in the small university pond, that I think is more likely the 10th team.
Les Tigre-Chats de Hamilton - Naufrage des navires depuis 1869
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Fri May 05, 2017 7:08 am

-Hammer- wrote:
The point though is if you start consistently drawing 5,000, then you expand your stadium and eventually you get to the point where, yes you start getting into a CFL conversation, espcially if the owner has cash. You gotta crawl before you can walk.

I honestly do feel that Halifax could have a team, but right now the town, and even the region doesn't show any signs of being ready for one. The fact that Moncton panned out after three touchdown Atlantic games speaks volumes and it's not like the Huskie's are making a giant CIS splash. Quebec City I still feel remains the better place for expansion, if somehow the league can break into the the city and finally go for a pro-team instead of being the big fish in the small university pond, that I think is more likely the 10th team.

But the 5,000 draw would be for soccer not football. This stadium is being built for soccer, they have done their homework and got a CPL franchise. If they did draw 5k that would actually be pretty good crowd, that would be in line with AHL, Junior A hockey.

As for Quebec City, I think there is zero interest in the CFL. They do like their CIS and they have built up a rivalry in Quebec. Two years ago the Als played Ottawa in Quebec City, the fans were bused in from Montreal and Ottawa, it was an embarrassment for the CFL.
Quebec spent $500 Million for an NHL arena, they aren't going to spend one dollar on a stadium where there is no interest.
QC would probably have much more interest in a soccer team to rival the Impact in Montreal.
All-Star

by c-way-dude » Sat May 06, 2017 12:02 pm

Mightygoose wrote:Question for those familiar with the area.

Is the Wanderers ground big enough to accommodate a larger stadium in the 20-25K range?

Otherwise, they'll need another site - maybe Dartmouth crossing? Either way, the prospective CFL owner would have to contribute enough $$ as well as the CPL owner. But funding from both teams would ensure the stadium will be suitable for both.

Agreed, having 15-20 soccer games in addition to the 9-10 CFL games would be allot more palatable than building something for the Schooner alone.

I don't believe that the site is big enough for a 20-25k stadium. Maybe if the city could convince the federal government to partition a section of the Citadel Historic Site. :wink: It's too bad in a way because of the site's proximity to St. Mary's and Dalhousie. It's not even that far from the Scotiabank Centre.
I don't think it matters anyhow, as the stadium the soccer folks are intending to erect is temporary. There wouldn't be much, if any, permanent infrastructure that could serve towards a CFL calibre stadium.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Sat May 06, 2017 6:21 pm

Good luck getting a stadium of any kind passed the Progs and tree huggers on Wanderer's grounds :lol:
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by brihind88 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:42 pm

If things do not turn around in TO , it will be the ATLANTIC ARGONAUTS
All-Star

by rcon » Sun May 07, 2017 10:19 am

brihind88 wrote:If things do not turn around in TO , it will be the ATLANTIC ARGONAUTS

:roll: :roll: :thdn: :thdn:
All-Star

by Cool » Sun May 07, 2017 11:34 am

I see that Hunt, Sinopoli & Ellingson, have been in Newfoundland (last week). Good to retweet their events to drum up further interest and support...

#ATL
Pull Together everyone
All-Star

by rhymes with orange » Sun May 07, 2017 11:37 am

The Last Word wrote:A CFL team in Halifax is beginning to look as remote as an NFL team in Toronto if we are being completely honest.

x2.

I keep opening this thread hoping to see something tangible, or some reason for optimism. But it's the same tired speculation and opinions about the best site for a 10th franchise. It's all moot. Until a viable owner(s) steps up and shows interest, we're talking in circles.
Proud B.C. Lions season ticket holder since 1995.
All-Star

by kwikkyd » Sun May 07, 2017 12:09 pm

According to q12 on Skyscraper website, the construction of the stadium has "begun"

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthr ... 0&page=293
Starter

by HfxTC » Sun May 07, 2017 1:36 pm

This is a very small site. This is a pop up stadium but if the league and the team is successful it could create a business case for building a bigger stadium in Halifax at some point down the road.

https://www.localxpress.ca/local-sports ... ost-608280
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by brihind88 » Sun May 07, 2017 1:48 pm

rcon wrote:
brihind88 wrote:If things do not turn around in TO , it will be the ATLANTIC ARGONAUTS

:roll: :roll: :thdn: :thdn:

I am not saying that is what I want.

I want the Argos to stay in Toronto.

The CFL needs to be in Toronto and stay.

However, more fans are going to need to buy tickets.

There is no reason a 24,000 seat stadium can not be filled.

I would rather see the Argos move to Halifax than fold.
All-Star

by Liquor Kitty » Mon May 08, 2017 6:47 am

rhymes with orange wrote:
The Last Word wrote:A CFL team in Halifax is beginning to look as remote as an NFL team in Toronto if we are being completely honest.

x2.

I keep opening this thread hoping to see something tangible, or some reason for optimism. But it's the same tired speculation and opinions about the best site for a 10th franchise. It's all moot. Until a viable owner(s) steps up and shows interest, we're talking in circles.

I live on the east coast, and there is no buzz at all on this expansion.
Veteran

by ArgoT » Mon May 08, 2017 10:01 am

Liquor Kitty wrote:
rhymes with orange wrote:

x2.

I live on the east coast, and there is no buzz at all on this expansion.

What ever became of the Atlantic Schooners group I recall there was quite a groundswell of interest?
All-Star

by Grover » Sat May 20, 2017 9:03 am

Latest pic of the Halifax CPL Stadium on the Wanderers grounds

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

PreviousNext