CFL needs to stream games online immediately

CFL only league in NA without live stream package?

by JJSA » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:01 pm

Although times have never been better for Canadian football, it seems that the CFL has still managed to fall behind everyone else in terms of offering a live stream package of every game online. Every day more and more people are cancelling their cable/satellite in favor of viewing sports etc online. I got rid of my cable in December of 2010. I watch MLB, NHL and NBA on tv via my Xbox. I also watch NLL and NBLC through their free webcasts of every game. However when it comes to CFL I have to watch on illegal websites that are usually rather poor quality. Most importantly I'm not being counted as watching it in terms of ratings or viewship...it's a shame because I want to support the CFL all the way. If the league would offer an online package of every game for say $200 a season I would GLADLY pay for it year in and year out. It's time for the CFL AND TSN to get with it! :x

MLB = MLB.tv

NHL = NHL Gamecenter

NBA = NBA League Pass

NBLC = Every game steamed for free on league website

NFL = Game Pass

NLL = YouTube

MLS = MLS Live

CIS = Free on CIS website

WNBA = LiveAccess

CFL = NOTHING
Starter

Re: CFL only league in NA without live stream package?

by tc23 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:16 pm

CFL = ESPN3.com
Deeds Speak !
Get R Done !
Make Good Decisions !
BRING THE NOISE !!!!!!
All-Star

by JJSA » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:20 pm

The CRCT won't let me have ESPN3.com (Or any ESPN) in Canada. It's un-canadian. :roll:
Starter

by Earl » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:55 pm

Who cares? But I'm an older fan will admit.
Anywhere is the centre of the world - Black Elk
Hall of Famer

by dcmoses » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:00 pm

JJSA wrote:If the league would offer an online package of every game for say $200 a season I would GLADLY pay for it year in and year out. It's time for the CFL AND TSN to get with it! :x

http://www.sportsnetworker.com/2012/12/21/tsn-decides-to-charge-fans-for-online-feed-during-2013-world-junior-hockey-championships-in-russia/

Apparently not everyone would share your enthusiasm for such an idea. And this one worked out to a paltry $1 a game.
All-Star

by JJSA » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:06 pm

Yes but I'm talking about an entire season subscription to the CFL. Not ppv for an exhibition tournament with a bunch of high school kids that is usually free.

My point is that nearly EVERY sports league in North America seems to get this except for the CFL. Why is that?
Starter

by dcmoses » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:19 pm

JJSA wrote:Yes but I'm talking about an entire season subscription to the CFL. Not ppv for an exhibition tournament with a bunch of high school kids that is usually free.

My point is that nearly EVERY sports league in North America seems to get this except for the CFL. Why is that?

You're contradicting yourself. First of all the WJC are competed by the best under 20 hockey players in the world, not your average "high school" kids. And like the WJC, the CFL is just as free. Carried by the same network as a matter of fact. The CFL season (regular and playoffs) is 77 games and at the rate they charged for the WJC that would be 76.99 for the season. If fans posted comments like;
Sooo disapointed with TSN.ca for creating a money grab and gouging it’s fans to watch the stream!!!! and
Hey TSN, go to hell
at the idea of 19.99 what do you think the reaction would be to a 76.99 fee for CFL let alone your suggestion of 200.

The WJC is one of the highest rated events on TSN and that was the reaction they got to a PPV stream and you're surprised they won't try it with the CFL?
All-Star

by JJSA » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:34 pm

I suppose some people like to live in the past. As far as I'm concerned, I told Rogers to take a hike not because of prices, but the fact that I had to pay money for channels I had no use for just so I could get 10 sports channels. That made me angry. Paying $150 to be able to watch every NHL game in HD on my Xbox is NOT something I have a problem with. As I said I'll gladly pay for what I want...not what I'm told I need. Does that make sense?

According to the Huffington Post an estimated 200,000 Canadians (mostly under 35 years old) are cancelling their cable each year in favor of viewing sports (and everything else) on the internet. Again...EVERY league in North America gets this. lol. This isn't something that the CFL would "try", it's a sure thing..but then what do leagues like the NHL, NFL, MLB and the NBA know about marketing....wow....
Starter

by dcmoses » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:49 pm

JJSA wrote:I suppose some people like to live in the past. As far as I'm concerned, I told Rogers to take a hike not because of prices, but the fact that I had to pay money for channels I had no use for just so I could get 10 sports channels. That made me angry. Paying $150 to be able to watch every NHL game in HD on my Xbox is NOT something I have a problem with. As I said I'll gladly pay for what I want...not what I'm told I need. Does that make sense?

According to the Huffington Post an estimated 200,000 Canadians (mostly under 35 years old) are cancelling their cable each year in favor of viewing sports (and everything else) on the internet. Again...EVERY league in North America gets this. lol. This isn't something that the CFL would "try", it's a sure thing..but then what do leagues like the NHL, NFL, MLB and the NBA know about marketing....wow....

I'm on your side on the cable/satellite issue. I'm currently living in Halifax for work while my family is in Trenton, but when I get home next year we are cancelling our BellTV and going internet only for much the same reasons you give. If TSN had an internet option I would pay TSN directly to get it online. My point was just that it appears there are still many that view paying for anything online as evil. I watch NLL and love the fact that they have every game live and archived on youtube.
All-Star

by Earl » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:34 pm

Ok, now I understand. I get a good deal with bundling internet, phone and a basic cable TV package which includes TSN hd. But if TSN hd wasn't included in basic, I might consider cancelling cable then I would want what you are mentioning JJSA.
Anywhere is the centre of the world - Black Elk
Hall of Famer

by depopulationINC » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:30 am

http://www.tsn.ca/mobiletv/

TSN has been mobile for a number of years. If you are heart set on viewing through your PC, you can stream that through your PC.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:59 am

The CFL is a little different as they sold their online broadcast rights to TSN as part of their broadcast deal

Nothing prevents TSN from selling season passes or game by game online viewing if they wanted to.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by Jukjeon Dave » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:03 am

HfxTC wrote:The CFL is a little different as they sold their online broadcast rights to TSN as part of their broadcast deal

Nothing prevents TSN from selling season passes or game by game online viewing if they wanted to.

I'd love for TSN to offer a season pass like that. It's hard to keep up with games living overseas.
Starter

by tangledweb » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:34 am

HfxTC wrote:The CFL is a little different as they sold their online broadcast rights to TSN as part of their broadcast deal

It is strange that TSN does not offer live streaming packages as an additional revenue source though, as most broadcasters try to maximize returns on license and/or sub-license holdings.
ImageImageImageImageImage
All-Star

by Tridus » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:38 am

depopulationINC wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/mobiletv/

TSN has been mobile for a number of years. If you are heart set on viewing through your PC, you can stream that through your PC.

Mobile TV requires a smartphone on Bell and a subscription to the Mobile TV service, which is expensive ($5 for 10 hours and $3/hour after that, so to watch four games a week for a month you're looking at over $100 just for the mobile service, plus the phone plan on top of it).
All-Star

Next