Two things better about NFL than CFL

Two things better about NFL than CFL

by FootbalYouBet » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:02 pm

they have this penalty protecting receivers called something like "an illegal hit on a defenseless player" I have long wanted to see more protection for receivers in the CFL

also, to be expected, but just the same, I really like how more professional their broadcast crews are.
Live well and please God

and may the birds of paradise leave little blessings all over your place :)
Hall of Famer

Re: Two things better about NFL than CFL

by greenandwhite » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:30 am

I like the 40 second play clock that starts immediately after every play. The two minute offense is a lot faster in the NFL.
All-Star

by StampsRock! » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:06 am

Then go watch the NFL and stop posting this drivel here. This is a CFL forum and many people including myself don't care what you think about the NFL.
Biggest Stamps fan in Red Deer!
Veteran

by FootbalYouBet » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:18 am

greenandwhite wrote:I like the 40 second play clock that starts immediately after every play. The two minute offense is a lot faster in the NFL.

I didn't start this to be a pro NFL thread
Live well and please God

Hall of Famer

by FootbalYouBet » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:18 am

StampsRock! wrote:Then go watch the NFL and stop posting this drivel here. This is a CFL forum and many people including myself don't care what you think about the NFL.

my main point is that I think the CFL should learn from the NFL and do a better job of protecting our receivers.
Live well and please God

Hall of Famer

by barnes7 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:23 am

The 40 second play clock is horrible, if a team has the ball + lead with 2 minutes left, you might as well leave because the game is over a vast majority of the time.
The NFL has 10 minute drives or ugh almost 12 minute drives... 2 possessions and the Quarter is done, you can actually have a half with 3 possessions. lol, thankfully you can't have a CFL quarter with under 3 possessions.

What's more professional about their broadcasts?

I prefer the TSN/CFL talent(except Rod Black), the one thing I'd definitely like to see brought in from that's NFL-ish is more pre-game/post game coverage.
Having a weekly CFL re-cap/preview show of like an hour would also be good, Especially since there isn't anything else on in the summer on Mon-Wed, there are definitely time slots that can be filled.

How many recs really get hurt from hits that would be penalized in the NFL that aren't already penalized in the CFL under the head shot rule?
All-Star

by Earl » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:10 am

Agree, I hate the 40 sec clock for that very reason, allows too much dead time near the end for a team to just walk off the field for a win when they should be, more often, requiring to get a first down to keep possession. I hope the CFL never goes to that rule.

I suppose anything to protect receivers from dangerous hits is a good thing.

In terms of the professionalism of their broadcast crews, well I'm sure they are getting a much higher salary than in Canada with all the money the American networks could pay and of course football there is arguably the no. 1 sport so you're going to have more people, higher percentage, that really know their football inside and out, a bigger pool of broadcast talent to choose from. Plus the large stadiums and more money for more cameras etc. But I think TSN and the crews do a pretty decent job nonetheless with having much less resources to work with.
Anywhere is the centre of the world - Black Elk
Hall of Famer

by Xvys » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:41 am

The CFL brought in a rule several years ago, allowing refs to call penalties against defenders who flagrantly hit receivers who obviously didn't touch the ball.

The things I love about the NFL the most are the kickoffs into the endzone (much safer); free catches on punt returns (returners rarely gain much yardage anyways); 4-downs, so teams can waste a play in every series (ploy straight ahead for 1-2 yds or throw the ball away); the NFL time-clock which allows players to catch their breath between plays; the camera angles and production values are more professional in the NFL than on TSN. The NFL is the greatest, most successful and best sport in all the world! :P
All-Star

by Earl » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:46 am

4 downs sucks, should be just for kids leagues. Catch their breath between plays? Is that a joke? Those kicks into the endzone are friggin amazin'!! :P Free catches on punts, again a kiddy rule. :P

Xv, the NFL is a league, not a sport. :lol:
Hall of Famer

by cfleskfan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:23 am

StampsRock! wrote:Then go watch the NFL and stop posting this drivel here. This is a CFL forum and many people including myself don't care what you think about the NFL.

I agree, this belongs in the other league thread as it is not from I have read about improving the CFL but is promoting the NFL. All are entitled to their opinions but I think this belong on the other page.
All-Star

by LeStaf » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:31 am

Xvys wrote:The CFL brought in a rule several years ago, allowing refs to call penalties against defenders who flagrantly hit receivers who obviously didn't touch the ball.

The things I love about the NFL the most are the kickoffs into the endzone (much safer); free catches on punt returns (returners rarely gain much yardage anyways); 4-downs, so teams can waste a play in every series (ploy straight ahead for 1-2 yds or throw the ball away); the NFL time-clock which allows players to catch their breath between plays; the camera angles and production values are more professional in the NFL than on TSN. The NFL is the greatest, most successful and best sport in all the world! :P

Voilà une bonne partie de ce qui fait que j'aime mieux le football canadien.

Les règles du football canadien forcent une attaque plus agressive, plus diversifiée entre le court, moyen et le long jeu. Les joueurs de la défensive doivent être capables de couvrir plus de terrain, quelle que soit leur position. La capacité athlétique des joueurs est plus sollicitée à cause des 20 secondes entre les jeux, du mouvement illimité avant la remise et de la dimension du terrain. Y a-t-il plus moche qu'un botté sans retour? Aucun suspense. Pas de retours spectaculaires, pas d'échappés forcés retournés pour un touché, bref, pas de jeu.

On pourrait en parler longtemps et le débat ne serait jamais clos. Il s'agit avant tout de préférences personnelles, et ce qui est bien, c'est qu'il y en a pour tout le monde.

Les règles du football canadien apportent des dimensions stratégiques différentes.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by joedavtav » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:32 am

Ladies and gents, I know the 20 second clock is a huge selling point but when you really really think about it.. its a contrivance.

CFL: 20 seconds from play blown in

NFL: 40 seconds from end of previous play

Actual difference in elapsed time: Often no more than 5 seconds.

Outside of the 3 minute warning in the CFL the game clock ALWAYS runs with the play clock regardless of the previous play having ended in an incomplete pass, out of bounds, time-out or even a score in the case of the convert. Under 3 minutes in the second and fourth quarters the clock rules magically change such that the clock runs more similarily to the NFL in that the game clock will not run with the play clock in the case of time-out, incomplete pass, run out of bounds etc. This packs more plays into the final 3 minutes but really doesn't add to the number of plays in the game.

So for those who would complain that the NFL wastes time in the final two minutes, the mathematical truth of the matter is that both leagues run about the same number of plays per game. The CFL simply does its time wasting (to keep things under 3 hours for TV) by running the clock for everything INCLUDING EXTRA FRIGGEN POINTS when not under the 3 minute warning. The NFL has consistent time clock rules for the entirety of the game.

The reason there are more drives in the CFL has to do with the 3 downs and NOT the clock rules.

60 minutes, roughly the same number of plays. If you consider a game as being number of plays available to play as opposed to how much time is on the clock, the dramatic effect is the same. Where 3 minutes is crunch time in the CFL, 5 or 6 minutes is similar crunch time in the NFL.

The CFL clock rules make for contrived drama.
All-Star

by ArgoT » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:47 am

Three words; No Fun League.
Enough said.
All-Star

by sparkyjay » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:46 pm

I was at a Saints game in September and for some reason it seemed like an eternity between plays, and god forbid a player go down, then it was nap time between plays. Then again...I was pretty hung over so that could've played into the equation.
Starter

by Earl » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:54 pm

joedavtav wrote:
The CFL clock rules make for contrived drama.

Well IMHO any drama in sports is contrived really. The bottom line is I see far more games in the NFL where teams can run out the clock and preserve a win without actually even attempting to get a first down with more time on the clock than in the CFL. I don't really care why that is the case to be honest, it just is. And that just sucks for me as part of the NFL's contrived drama. Don't get me wrong, I like the NFL, it's a different form of the same sport of gridiron and I enjoy both. I just prefer the CFL game more.

You want contrived drama, the shootout in hockey is about as contrived as it gets.
Hall of Famer

Next