Now we know why MLSE willing to have Argos at BMO Field..

Now we know why MLSE willing to have Argos at BMO Field..

Postby tangledweb » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:14 pm

This is why MLSE/Lieweke are willing to put up the Argos at BMO Field...

Bon Jovi buying Bills, building new Toronto stadium
The Globe and Mail

Okay, pardon me for being the latest to chime in with a Livin’ On A Prayer reference, but that is exactly what the hopes are at present for Jon Bon Jovi to buy the Buffalo Bills with the help of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, Larry Tanenbaum, Tim Leiweke or maybe Edward Rogers and family.

However, there is some serious manoeuvring going on to make those hopes come true.

This is especially so at MLSE, which would love to hitch its wagon to whichever individual or individuals manage to buy Buffalo’s NFL team after its 95-year-old owner Ralph Wilson passes away.
NFL bylaws prevent corporations from owning even part of its teams but they do not prevent enterprising companies from building and running their stadiums.

Tanenbaum and Leiweke, the chairman and president of MLSE, respectively, are so eager to get involved they reassigned one of their senior executives not long ago, according to someone close to the company.
Bob Hunter, who was MLSE’s chief facilities and live entertainment officer, was put in charge of two special projects. These projects are so important to Tanenbaum and Leiweke that Justina Klein was recently brought back for a second stint at MLSE to do Hunter’s old job.

Hunter (of MLSE) is now in charge of two things – redesigning BMO Field to accommodate both Toronto FC, MLSE’s soccer team, and the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL, who would be most affected by Hunter’s second project. And that task is to design an NFL-style stadium to accommodate the Bills.(in Toronto) So far, we’re told, there is a design for a stadium that would cost $600-million but our informants say that won’t get much these days and the final number will be closer to $1-billion plus another $1-billion (U.S.) or so to buy the Bills, making this a $2-billion play.

There is also the matter of the CFL and the Argos. It looks as though MLSE thinks the NFL will insist a condition of any sale is to look after the Argos, not drive them off, which is why Hunter is in charge of spending as much as $50-million to renovate BMO Field. That should fend off any nasty anti-trust suits.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/f ... e15581107/
Last edited by tangledweb on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
tangledweb

Re: Now we know why MLSE willing to have Argos at BMO

Postby drummer_god » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:22 pm

Rogers and Bell had to team up because neither could afford the $1Billion price tag for MLSE. now we're supposed to believe they have $2Billion for an NFL team and stadium?
i wish reporters had brains and could see through this story being planted grey cup week to steal some of the CFL's spotlight.

reminds me of when i was trading blackberry stock last january-march; every month a rumour of a Lenovo take over would come out and drive the stock price up $2. then it would be revealed as a lie and the price would come back down. a month later, same story, same result. it was so easy to make money, as reporters would spread the same crap over and over with the same results. buy the rumour, sell the news.
drummer_god

Re: Now we know why MLSE willing to have Argos at BMO Field..

Postby drummer_god » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:37 pm

oh, and it gets the Bills in the local news weeks before they play in toronto. free advertising.
drummer_god

Postby vanhalendlrband » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:39 pm

I actually posted on Twitter to Chris Cuthbert about how their always seems to be an NFL in Toronto story every Grey Cup in what seems like an attempt to thwart the grey cup and he favorited my tweet.
vanhalendlrband

Postby -Hammer- » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:46 pm

Yeah....I don't buy this. The NFL is going to move the Bills, risk anti-trust claims in the US and alienate the state of new york, to sell the team to Bon Jovi so he can play out of a rented stadium theoretcial stadium and yet also want to keep a CFL franchise running in town while the juggernaut NFL is just down the road? Huh?

I think more likely, this is just another bogus NFL/Buffalo story by Rogers to try to take interest away from the Grey Cup and drum up interest in their failing Bills in Toronto series.
-Hammer-

Postby mikem » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:14 pm

vanhalendlrband wrote:I actually posted on Twitter to Chris Cuthbert about how their always seems to be an NFL in Toronto story every Grey Cup in what seems like an attempt to thwart the grey cup and he favorited my tweet.

But in fairness to the media, the story did break in New York on the CBS network. I doubt whether CBS or Fox or whoever picked up the story in the first place thought about the Grey Cup game.
Did you expect all of the Canadian media to ignore it??

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... falo-bills

As for BMO Field, they are saying that the only way that the Argos could play there is if the CFL agreed to the shorter end zone.
"Ottawa football - we bleed RED&BLACK"
REDBLACKS
"once you've tried a REDBLACK you won't go back"
mikem

Postby tangledweb » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:20 pm

well It is at least curious, if not shady, that MLSE senior exec Bob Hunter's two priority assignments involve the integrating the Argos at BMO Field and the design of an NFL primed stadium in Toronto..

Hunter (of MLSE) is now in charge of two things – redesigning BMO Field to accommodate both Toronto FC, MLSE’s soccer team, and the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL, who would be most affected by Hunter’s second project. And that task is to design an NFL-style stadium to accommodate the Bills.(in Toronto)

There is also the matter of the CFL and the Argos. It looks as though MLSE thinks the NFL will insist a condition of any sale is to look after the Argos, not drive them off, which is why Hunter is in charge of spending as much as $50-million to renovate BMO Field. That should fend off any nasty anti-trust suits.
ImageImageImage
tangledweb

Postby ArgoT » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:32 pm

drummer_god wrote:oh, and it gets the Bills in the local news weeks before they play in toronto. free advertising.

On top of which to upstart our wonderful GC week in the place where they cherish the game, not the idiots here in Toronto.
ArgoT

Postby tangledweb » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:33 pm

mikem wrote:As for BMO Field, they are saying that the only way that the Argos could play there is if the CFL agreed to the shorter end zone.

who is they?

MLSE head Lieweke has previously stated they are looking into the feasibility of expanding BMO Field to accommodate Canadian football dimensions.

Never has he said the Argos/CFL must agree to shorter end zones.
Last edited by tangledweb on Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage
tangledweb

Postby reidjr2016 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:34 pm

I hope Oseg does not become like Mlse.
reidjr2016

Postby HfxTC » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:46 pm

tangledweb wrote:This is why MLSE/Lieweke are willing to put up the Argos at BMO Field...

Bon Jovi buying Bills, building new Toronto stadium
The Globe and Mail

Okay, pardon me for being the latest to chime in with a Livin’ On A Prayer reference, but that is exactly what the hopes are at present for Jon Bon Jovi to buy the Buffalo Bills with the help of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, Larry Tanenbaum, Tim Leiweke or maybe Edward Rogers and family.

However, there is some serious manoeuvring going on to make those hopes come true.

This is especially so at MLSE, which would love to hitch its wagon to whichever individual or individuals manage to buy Buffalo’s NFL team after its 95-year-old owner Ralph Wilson passes away.
NFL bylaws prevent corporations from owning even part of its teams but they do not prevent enterprising companies from building and running their stadiums.

Tanenbaum and Leiweke, the chairman and president of MLSE, respectively, are so eager to get involved they reassigned one of their senior executives not long ago, according to someone close to the company.
Bob Hunter, who was MLSE’s chief facilities and live entertainment officer, was put in charge of two special projects. These projects are so important to Tanenbaum and Leiweke that Justina Klein was recently brought back for a second stint at MLSE to do Hunter’s old job.

Hunter (of MLSE) is now in charge of two things – redesigning BMO Field to accommodate both Toronto FC, MLSE’s soccer team, and the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL, who would be most affected by Hunter’s second project. And that task is to design an NFL-style stadium to accommodate the Bills.(in Toronto) So far, we’re told, there is a design for a stadium that would cost $600-million but our informants say that won’t get much these days and the final number will be closer to $1-billion plus another $1-billion (U.S.) or so to buy the Bills, making this a $2-billion play.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/f ... e15581107/

I am not buying any of this.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
HfxTC

Re: Now we know why MLSE willing to have Argos at BMO

Postby HfxTC » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:48 pm

drummer_god wrote:Rogers and Bell had to team up because neither could afford the $1Billion price tag for MLSE. now we're supposed to believe they have $2Billion for an NFL team and stadium?
i wish reporters had brains and could see through this story being planted grey cup week to steal some of the CFL's spotlight.

reminds me of when i was trading blackberry stock last january-march; every month a rumour of a Lenovo take over would come out and drive the stock price up $2. then it would be revealed as a lie and the price would come back down. a month later, same story, same result. it was so easy to make money, as reporters would spread the same crap over and over with the same results. buy the rumour, sell the news.

The Bills aren't even for sale and even if they came up for sale they would need to get approval by the majority of NFL owners to be accepted as prospective owners and then majority as well to move the team. This whole thing is one gigantic dog and pony show.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
HfxTC

Postby vanhalendlrband » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:01 pm

mikem wrote:
vanhalendlrband wrote:I actually posted on Twitter to Chris Cuthbert about how their always seems to be an NFL in Toronto story every Grey Cup in what seems like an attempt to thwart the grey cup and he favorited my tweet.

But in fairness to the media, the story did break in New York on the CBS network. I doubt whether CBS or Fox or whoever picked up the story in the first place thought about the Grey Cup game.
Did you expect all of the Canadian media to ignore it??

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... falo-bills

As for BMO Field, they are saying that the only way that the Argos could play there is if the CFL agreed to the shorter end zone.

CBS Sports has quite the following in Canada actually, its been a staple in Sports going back the late 70's. The fact he's so in depth about the politics around Toronto means he was talking with those people, and I wonder who set up that arrangement? Many times big corporations pay media organizations (sometimes through various anonymous channels) to prin their story. Rogers calls up CBS Sports because they know that if Canada misses this story then every TSN and Sportsnet story is going to pick it up right away. Its really pretty simple. :cowboy:
vanhalendlrband

Postby gemwell » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:04 pm

I think old Ralph is going to be so sick of the T.O. MEDIA , he will sell the team very soon while he is still alive to a American billionaire and keep the team in Buffalo thus preserving his Legacy to the state of NY.
gemwell

Postby tangledweb » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:41 pm

gemwell wrote:I think old Ralph is going to be so sick of the T.O. MEDIA

I think it is the opposite.
Ralph and the Bills have made off like pro bandits with the Toronto-Bills Series, and these pervasive T.O. media stories/articles only enhance the team's visibility and inherent value.

The more interest, the better for dear old Ralph and his offspring.
ImageImageImage
tangledweb

Next

Return to CFL Talk